Most dramatic career change?

Comments

• Aaron C Rescue
    Aaron C Rescue Registered Posts: 76 Regular contributor โญ
    I have Platinum and gold discs awarded to me from the time I used to make records in a recording studio. Did it for 18 years - that was before illegal downloading killed off all the big studios and computers took over.
  • r4chy
    r4chy Registered Posts: 30 Regular contributor โญ
    Paul24 wrote: ยป
    Scheduling production in a rubber factory to accountancy

how weird! me too lol :thumbup:
  • katsutlieff
    katsutlieff Registered Posts: 459 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Working in an off licence to working as a tipi parent with young offenders in Pennslyvania!
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Working in an off licence to working as a tipi parent with young offenders in Pennslyvania!
    what is a tipi parent?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    what is a tipi parent?

Is that like tipex? you can delet ya kids correct it and start again if you wish? :lol::lol::lol:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Wouldn't it be great if we could Tippex over the bits of our lives that we'd messed up and have another go. I'll take the biggest bottle in the shop, please.
  • katsutlieff
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    Is that like tipex? you can delet ya kids correct it and start again if you wish? :lol::lol::lol:
    If only, could definitely do with some of that at the mo!!

I worked at a young offenders correction facility, but instead of living in cells the YO's lived in a Tipi! I was responsible for 10 upwards young lads with varying degrees of offence. I bascially acted as a parent to them, took them to school, made sure they ate, didn't get into fights with the other lads, broke them up when they did, washed, went to bed when told, was there if and when they wanted to talk with someone. The organisation was based on native American philosophy, so very different from the YOI in this county.

There was also a boot camp down the road from us which was based on the buffalo soldiers, that was tough going.

Was extremely hard work but very rewarding.
  • PAMDILL
    Sounds good, I know a few teenage boys that could do with that. In fact I have a five year old I could send to you just now!!

Shame it is in the States, do you think the airlines would object if I put him in a dog cage and sent him air freight?
  • katsutlieff
    Unfortunately am trying to contending with my own five year old, packed the eight year old off to cub camp for the weekend.

I would take teenagers over little kids any day of the week. When I worked the youth club, Friday night disco for year 6 gave me nightmares.
  • CrazySexyCool
    CrazySexyCool Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor โญ
    Ann Summers Party Organiser to almost becoming a Religion Teacher to Wedding Planning:thumbup:
  • Lena
    Lena Registered Posts: 15 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Have been working as a cabin crew for over three years, but I'd like to work "on the ground" again and figured out I need some kind of qualification:blushing:, so took up the aat and have the first exam next week... (will see how that goes.)
    Really enjoyed reading this thread:001_smile:, as it made me realise I am not the only one thinking of a complete career change.
  • katsutlieff
    Lena wrote: ยป
    have the first exam next week

Good luck with the first one, where are you taking it?
  • anastasia
    anastasia Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor โญ
    A law student in Ukraine (a promotion girl at the same time) > Then worked in the Bingo(!) in UK for a couple of years > now I'm an accountant. :001_tt2:
    Not as dramatic as some people but I couldn't handle any more changes!
  • Lena
    Lena Registered Posts: 15 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Good luck with the first one, where are you taking it?

Thank you:001_smile:.
    In Reading.
  • CJC
    Lena wrote: ยป
    Thank you:001_smile:.
    In Reading.
    That neck of the woods used to be my stomping ground. Lived in Reading for a while then went a bit more upmarket an moved to Maidenhead (well Dorney actually). Had a flight attendant and pilot living next to me in Dorney as I recall, must be the Heathrow effect.

Anyway,good luck to you and all those taking exams next week.
  • Ding Dong
    Ding Dong Registered Posts: 8 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Hi , At the age of 17 I worked as a miner on the coal face, at 22 I then got a job as a steel erector then at 25 I was diagnosed with having Multiple sclerosis so I had to get a sitting down job so I got a job as a fork lift driver, then I got a job as a bridge operator (operating the controls to lift a road bridge over a river). Then at the age of 32 I decided to go back to college and do an accounting course, lasy week I sat the final exams at the technician level and after sitting the MAC exam on monday I think it would of been easier to of stayed at the coal face.....
  • I started off as an accountant and now I milk cows at 5.30 am each day. :lol:
  • PAMDILL
    I started on that line of work when left school only it was 3.30am
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    so anyone celbrate summer saltist then ?
  • CJC
    Would that be the festival where we all eat crisps to show our thanks to the man who invented salt?
  • Cullen
    Cullen Registered Posts: 592 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    In my cult, we use peanuts.

Sometimes we set fire to virgins so the mothership can find the landing strip, but mainly we just eat peanuts......
  • mark130273
    alright i cant spell for f*ck sake ?
  • Cullen
    We love you for that, Mark.
  • CJC
    Cullen wrote: ยป
    In my cult, we use peanuts.
    Burn the heretic!
  • Cullen
    First it's kittens, now it's heretics.

Where's it all going to end, Chris, huh?

(Er have you any connection to that Spanish dude, Torquemada? It's all becoming clear to me now. Gulp I think I know what to expect.........)
  • CJC
    No-one expects etc etc
  • mark130273
    Cullen wrote: ยป
    We love you for that, Mark.

i know you do.....never ever said english was my best subjest ??:tongue_smilie:
  • CrazySexyCool
    CrazySexyCool Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor โญ
    I went to Stonehenge at 1:30am after finishing a 14 hour shift and then we had to walk about 1.5 miles from the car to get there and then it was cloudy:huh: There were some real freaks there tho. Very entertaining!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    so anyone celbrate summer saltist then ?

Jesus Mark, but you really are kinda asking for it with hilarious spelling like that!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I went to Stonehenge at 1:30am after finishing a 14 hour shift and then we had to walk about 1.5 miles from the car to get there and then it was cloudy:huh: There were some real freaks there tho. Very entertaining!

What, and you don't consider going to Stonehenge at 1:30am following a 14 hour shift and then having to walk 1.5 miles from your car a little freakish in itself?

:huh:
Privacy Policy