Correctable ink pens

reddwarf
reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Would anyone have any reservations about using these in their exams?

I think they are great but wonder when and how they become permanent.

Wouldn't want all my work to disappear!
ยซ1

Comments

• jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I had a look in Tescos this morning as they were recommended to me but on the back of the packet it states "Do not use for Examinations" so I didnt bother buying it.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I have used them before and they become permanent after 8 hours. they were ok, but i found they left indents in the paper and it became very messy.

don't know what i will be using next week as in germany there is not much choice. hubby did buy me some from tescos but they did not rub out very well

Tracy
  • jow774
    jow774 Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I found the same, trotted off to whsmith to buy frixion ones. Paid ยฃ2 each!! which I thought was expensive and then when I tried them I wasnt impressed. Im sticking to pencil and rubber and then using good old black bic over top as I did in FRA and I passed so cant be that bad, lol. Then to add insult to injury I found pentel ones in Wilkos for 99p!!!! Was gutted, sore subject.
  • KVeevers
    KVeevers Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor โญ
    hi
    taskey where about in germany do you live?
    in germany there got correct roll over from pritt then there god rubbers
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I have the frixion ones and I think they are great! I will be using them in my exams. I have been using one all morning and they dry really well. I found that the red ones don't rub out well and stay wet longer than the black ones.

I have always used rubbing out pens and these are the best ones to date! Our tutor also recommended them.
  • jow774
    They seemed to take a lot of rubbing out and still left an indent, although I am quite heavy handed when Im writing so maybe its because of that.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I am using regular pens but I have got a tippex pen thing (looks like a pen but squeezy and tippex come out in very thin line like ink) very good for removing errors and dries quickly
  • reddwarf
    Okay, so mixed feelings!! thanks
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Just spent 60p for a pack of two from wilkinsons and tested them, wrote a paragraph they rubbed out last night left it over night and this morning they dont rub out so going to be taking them. O and they are ball point so no mess
  • jow774
    Are they wilkos own brand? The frixion ones say they arent suitable for exams and can fade in heat? Did you find this with them last time?
  • A-Vic
    jow774 wrote: ยป
    Are they wilkos own brand? The frixion ones say they arent suitable for exams and can fade in heat? Did you find this with them last time?

Not sure but will check tonight, all i think as long as they last till august i dont mind :lol:
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰

thats prob because thats how they eraze from the heat caused from friction, they just have to cover them selves. ive been using the frixion ones for months and all of my writing is still there...im using them in the exam.
  • A-Vic
    Also depends what you mean by heat? because id think they would be stored in a cool dark place?
  • jow774
    Oooh scary, Im naturally over cautious so the whole "possibility" of the writing fading will keep me awake at night until August so I think normal ink is the way for me, lol.

Good Luck everyone by the way.

:thumbup1:
  • lessci
    lessci Registered Posts: 180 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I used the old fashioned pentel ones with an erasor for foundation and intermidate, but rhe new frixtion one for DFS and PCR in december, the only problem I've had is they don't seen to last very long, but I love them for keeping my work tidy and legable.
  • stevef
    stevef Registered Posts: 258 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Isn't quicker and cheaper in an exam just to neatly cross errors out.
  • fatandforty
    fatandforty Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I use a tipex mouse, it's just tape that covers your mistake very neatly and you don't have to wait for it to dry.
  • A-Vic
    stevef wrote: ยป
    Isn't quicker and cheaper in an exam just to neatly cross errors out.

you must not make many mistakes in your exams then :lol:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    i have now found some pentel ones which were like a rollerball rather than a biro end.

i will take those and see how i get on.

Tracy
  • jow774
    Im still having my pen dilema. Do I take the ยฃ2 (expensive) Frixion and risk my answers fading in a hot sunny classroom or the ยฃ Borrowed from work Bic and a tipex pen and make the paper three times as thick with correction fluid. It could go either way, lol.:laugh:
  • reddwarf
    I have Tesco's and Papermate neither have any warnings in the blurb. I am conduting an experiment! I've left samples in the sun to see what happens by tomorrow!

I like the Tesco's fine tipped one but it is sharp and leaves indents....
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I got three of the Frixion pens, then got them home and noticed the recommendation not to use them for exams :mad2: Not sure whether to use them for the exam or not now.
  • jkc
    jkc Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    papermate

got three from raymans 3.50 red blue black, they are great
    I read somewhere you are allowed to use pencil at your own risk
    aat magazine I think. its a relief to know this as I thought erasable pen
    was not allowed or tipex.
  • reddwarf
    Another point is, they smudge if rubbed, but it has to be quite hard. Also if you lean your hand on previous writing the ink comes off on you (warmth of hand I think) but doesn't seem to smudge the writing.

Jury is out!
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I used erasable pens (the papermate ones I think) throughout my AAT progress. I was aways prone to making small careless errors (not to mention the ocassional major dumb error) and never really got on with tippex, so I found them really useful.

They're certainly not perfect though and some will find the drawbacks outweigh the benefits.
  • A-Vic
    mines not a frixden one but just says erasable ball point pen ive used it a few times and for 60p cheap at half the price
  • keane155
    keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I've decided not to risk using the Frixion pen, I tested it by putting my hair straightners on(cooling down) for 30 seconds this morning and half of my revision notes disappeared. I know the papers won't be subjected to as near as much heat if any, but I'd be too worried about half my answers disappearing before they got marked.
  • reddwarf
    My test of leaving paper in the sunny window since yesterday has shown they don't fade (Tesco and Papermate) in that amount of sun, (not as hot are curling tongs though!!).

The writing doesn't rub out now either.
  • CelticStar
    CelticStar Registered Posts: 142 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Apparently, if you use the flexion pens and they fade/get rubbed out the writing will appear again if you put the paper in the fridge. Don't quite know if that is helpful with regard to exam papers though, can't see an appeal working if you insist your paper has been tampered with and needs to be put in a fridge!

I used them last year and bought two new ones for this year but now that I've read this thread I think I'll probably go back to a normal pen - I'm gutted though as I thought they were great last year.
  • CJC77
    CJC77 Registered Posts: 62 Regular contributor โญ
    Im still having my pen dilema. Do I take the ยฃ2 (expensive) Frixion and risk my answers fading in a hot sunny classroom or the ยฃ Borrowed from work Bic and a tipex pen and make the paper three times as thick with correction fluid. It could go either way, lol.:laugh:

I bought the frixion ones from Asda - bleedin fantastic! First time I used them, I did not rub out my work hard enough and it looked like they would be naff - but you really need to scribble with the eraser end and it is great. Although they cover themselves with the heat thing, the point is they rub out with FRICTION. I have used them in all my past exams AND simulations and the ink is still on the simulation covers I have in my portfolio for the foundation year (And I had the heating on full whack over winter and my folio is in a small room near a radiator)

I know that most of my college mates will be using them without hesitation!
Privacy Policy