Use of home claim

TAB
TAB Registered Posts: 39 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi all, Im sure I had read somewhere a while ago that £3 per week use of home can be claimed for 08/09 and wont be quibbled by HMRC. Has anyone else seen this?

Comments

• Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    This is true.
  • Emthi
    Emthi Registered Posts: 53 Regular contributor ⭐
  • TAB
    Thanks for replying. Where have you seen this Faerie so that I can prove it to another colleague.

Thanks for the link Emthi.
  • 111beckstar111
    111beckstar111 Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I thought it was £4???
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The £3 per week allowance is actually given in relation to employment income rather than trading income (EIM32815) but it has generally been HMRC's policy to accept the same claim made by a self-employed person, although I would generally be looking to claim a higher figure.
  • TAB
    Thanks Dean.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Whatever amount is decided upon, be careful. I helped a client with an enquiry 2 or 3 years ago and the tax inspector wanted my client to prove what he did at home to claim a use of home allowance! She finally allowed a small amount for use of his home, but took off use of his garage - he was using it to work in (he is a carpenter), but the inspector said that if he tidied his tools, there was still room for a car, so no allowance was permitted. :001_rolleyes:
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I would have loved to argue that one out..

I know a few carpenters and I wouldn't want my car anywhere near their garages!
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    T.C. wrote: »
    there was still room for a car

what? the vehicle which he genuinely uses 90% for business use?! that's a rubbish argument!
Privacy Policy