Not yet sunk in!

kjg-kj
kjg-kj Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
Is is just me or has it not yet sunk in that the exams are all over?

I had three exams this June, so put in so much work during my own time. Now the exams are over I still feel like I need to go and pick up a study book.

Think it will take me a few more days to really believe it!!

Comments

• columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    It's weird isn't it!

I normally take the kids out to their clubs etc on a Saturday morning then hit the books with extreme urgency for a couple of hours. Today I mopped my kitchen floor instead!

I do still have my Unit 15 skills test to do, so I will relax this weekend, then study for a week and get that out the way, then I have decided to start revising for Dec early to avoid the panic cramming I always end up doing!
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    kjg-kj wrote: »
    Is is just me or has it not yet sunk in that the exams are all over?

I had three exams this June, so put in so much work during my own time. Now the exams are over I still feel like I need to go and pick up a study book.

Think it will take me a few more days to really believe it!!

Unfortunately I have to! Just done 3 exams, but I still have Audit and Unit 10 project to do
  • Chris023
    Chris023 Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    I just did PCR and PTC...my last two exams

Fingers crossed it went well

Yeah...you sort of get an anti-climax once the exams are over.. I remember the same feeling after intermmediate.
  • lork
    lork Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    I feel a bit like that too. I want to get cracking with ACCA now but the books haven't come yet.

I have decided that this afternoon/evening I am going to watch as many DVDs as I can stomach and not feel an ounce of guilt!
  • mahdi87
    mahdi87 Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    i only have unit 10 to finish by Wed and thats it wait till my exams result and see if i can start uni in sep as i got 2nd year offer on the table waiting for me
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    I can get back to finding a job now as I'm currently temping. Still prefer to look for work knowing I've done all the AAT exams. I have got a 2nd stage job interview next week with NHS London where I beat over 750 applicants and passed a testing stage to get to the next stage. Have to say I've really enjoyed the course as a whole and it has tested my patience at times.
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Good luck with the interview Jay.

Sounds like you've done really well!!
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    Thanks Columbia. I'll do my best.
  • wolfe
    wolfe Registered Posts: 121 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    hi guys same here wid no more studying to do its really boring. really dont know wat to do wid all d free time i have got now. only unit 15 left!
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I wouldn't say I'm bored. Feels great to have free time again, its a novelty and going to make the most of it before it all starts again in September.

Does feel weird at times though, keep getting a feeling that I should be doing something :huh:
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    i actually sat and read in a novel this weekend, something i have not done in a long time. it felt weird all weekend doing nothing.

i am in the middle of my unit 10 and i have a couple of sims to do.

but it was lovely to not have to study

Tracy
  • lewpylew
    lewpylew Registered Posts: 216 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I feel a bit strange. Flew off to Paris thursday evening for 3 nights and got home late yesterday. Can see my books sat in the living room & feels weird to think I have no college on wednesday.

Trying to get the exams out of my mind as nothing I can do about them now!! Roll on August x
  • The Deadman
    The Deadman Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    It's sunk in for me. I'm going to be AAT qualified and hope to gain seniority in any work place where I am qualified and others are not.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    It's sunk in for me. I'm going to be AAT qualified and hope to gain seniority in any work place where I am qualified and others are not.

Whoooaaa, steady on there. While it's a good qualification that's a pretty big assumption you're making there, that you'll be more senior than someone without the qualification but twenty or thirty years accounting experience. Many QBE's employed in the industry/service sectors have niche expertise that even chartereds might lack and need to consult for their industry knowledge.
  • The Deadman
    The Deadman Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    blobbyh wrote: »
    Whoooaaa, steady on there. While it's a good qualification that's a pretty big assumption you're making there, that you'll be more senior than someone without the qualification but twenty or thirty years accounting experience. Many QBE's employed in the industry/service sectors have niche expertise that even chartereds might lack and need to consult for their industry knowledge.

It's a good qualification that pays well I assume ? I should feel senior to a simple temp who just does data entry, filing and photocopying all day. With the AAT under my belt now I'm sure I should be preparing management accounts or drafting trial balances at least. The way I see it, I should be on a 25k+ salary, on a permanent contract, with some seniority over lesser team members (the young and unqualified) and work my way to ACCA. Career in a nutshell.:D
  • AdamR
    AdamR Registered Posts: 668 Epic contributor 🐘
    It's a good qualification that pays well I assume ? I should feel senior to a simple temp who just does data entry, filing and photocopying all day. With the AAT under my belt now I'm sure I should be preparing management accounts or drafting trial balances at least. The way I see it, I should be on a 25k+ salary, on a permanent contract, with some seniority over lesser team members (the young and unqualified) and work my way to ACCA. Career in a nutshell.:D

See my other post; try £13k to £17k, probably less if you don't have much experience.

It is a good qualification but it remains an entry-level to the chartered courses. Get through ACCA and £25k plus is reasonable.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    A better term might be 'junior' team members since 'lesser' and 'simple' might be considered offensive. I certainly would be if my FD called me a 'lesser' member of staff even if it might be true! Just be aware that if you're preparing management accounts you might be called on to explain them to non-accountants of both senior and junior levels and your people skills will be examined in excruciating detail by all.

Good people managers need empathy and a little humility and language is very important. Sometimes we don't even notice when it's being used correctly but most of us will prick up our ears and feel our hackles rise when we hears it's incorrect usage...
Privacy Policy