ECR and FRA

Options
mags45
mags45 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
Was looking through everyone's comments on the intermediate exams as I felt I did terrible. Like a few of you, I felt that some of the FRA exam threw up questions that I hadn't come across in my studies and had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to sit both of them again in December. Got a little hope though when some of you mentioned that the pass mark was lower than I had been told. I was told it was 80% by my tutor (studying Diploma with Premier training) but looking at some of the comments it may not be as high as this. does anyone know for definate what the pass mark is around. Also, I didn't show much calculations, I only wrote the answer probably the wrong answer, but if by some chance the answer was correct, will I will get marked down for not showing my calculations.

Comments

• Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    You will not be marked down but if you had put your workings down it would have earned you more marks
  • purple19m
    purple19m Registered Posts: 92 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi there,

The passmark is decided after the exam so no one will know what the pass rate is for certain. I've read people have been told to aim for 75% to 80% but end of the day the reality is that you can just aim to do the best that you can do!

I only sat ECR but unsure if i've passed or not, shame as i knew with the previous two exams that i had by way i performed at the time, however this time i struggled so really have no idea, just have to wait like everyone else, sadly its a long wait!!! I done every past paper available and tons of revision so couldn't of done anymore, so what will be will be.

I had a few crossing outs in my exam and i did show all my workings so hoping that has helped me scrape through, trouble is we all tend to focus on what we done wrong and not what we may of done right!!! I've wrote out the questions and answers that i can remember as that has helped me focus on what i have done right, i know i'm mad but it plays on your mind doesn't it.

At end of the day not end of the world, if we fail we get to resit! lucky us! I've still got plenty of studying to do to make the weeks fly by to august! hooray!!!:001_smile:
  • Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    purple19m wrote: »
    Hi there,

The passmark is decided after the exam so no one will know what the pass rate is for certain. I've read people have been told to aim for 75% to 80% but end of the day the reality is that you can just aim to do the best that you can do!

I only sat ECR but unsure if i've passed or not, shame as i knew with the previous two exams that i had by way i performed at the time, however this time i struggled so really have no idea, just have to wait like everyone else, sadly its a long wait!!! I done every past paper available and tons of revision so couldn't of done anymore, so what will be will be.

I had a few crossing outs in my exam and i did show all my workings so hoping that has helped me scrape through, trouble is we all tend to focus on what we done wrong and not what we may of done right!!! I've wrote out the questions and answers that i can remember as that has helped me focus on what i have done right, i know i'm mad but it plays on your mind doesn't it.

At end of the day not end of the world, if we fail we get to resit! lucky us! I've still got plenty of studying to do to make the weeks fly by to august! hooray!!!:001_smile:

I think it is not so much about getting the answers right (although this helps) its about getting the reasons behind the answer. The AAT are looking to test your understanding of the unit, everyone makes mistakes in practise hence that is why we have auditors and managers etc. If you attempt a question and get it wrong so long as your workings are using the correct practices for answering the question then I think that is three quarters of the battle won
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Options
    Yup, you should always show your workings. This is also true in real life where all our depreciation, accruals, prepayments, private medical contributions etc should be backed up by Excel schedules available for examination. Audits in the broadest sense of the definition, aren't necessarily there to catch your errors (though they undoubtedly will do in a deeply flawed system) but to check for compliance and that you are adhering to your own internal policies and/or legal requirements.
  • Mendy
    Mendy Registered Posts: 15 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    mags45 wrote: »
    Was looking through everyone's comments on the intermediate exams as I felt I did terrible. Like a few of you, I felt that some of the FRA exam threw up questions that I hadn't come across in my studies and had resigned myself to the fact that I would have to sit both of them again in December. Got a little hope though when some of you mentioned that the pass mark was lower than I had been told. I was told it was 80% by my tutor (studying Diploma with Premier training) but looking at some of the comments it may not be as high as this. does anyone know for definate what the pass mark is around. Also, I didn't show much calculations, I only wrote the answer probably the wrong answer, but if by some chance the answer was correct, will I will get marked down for not showing my calculations.
    I've acutally rang the AAT about the pass mark (Sad I know but I'm convinced I failed ECR). It's true what most people are saying, they mark them first and see as a whole how every one has done, before establishing the pass mark. They say it can be anything upto 70%. The aim of the exam is to show that you are competent, so that's why they like to see your workings.
Privacy Policy