What process does your college use whether you can progress to level4?

Options
reddwarf
reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
Our college is upsetting alot of people!

What do you think is a fair appraisal of students worthiness to progress?

Comments

• David0097
    David0097 Registered Posts: 24 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I'm pretty sure with ours you can progress if you pass both the intermediate exams, but can even start at level 4 if you like!

Surely it's not up to the college whether you progress, it's your choice, as long as you have succeeded at the previous level. I bet they are just concerned with their pass rates etc...

AAT doesn't seem too tricky at all to be honest, as long as you do the learning, so I'm guessing anyone with just maybe a GCSE in Math and English could do level 4 if they worked hard enough.
  • Ian
    Ian Registered Posts: 83 Regular contributor โญ
    Options
    I'm pretty sure with ours you can progress if you pass both the intermediate exams, but can even start at level 4 if you like!

Surely it's not up to the college whether you progress, it's your choice, as long as you have succeeded at the previous level. I bet they are just concerned with their pass rates etc...

AAT doesn't seem too tricky at all to be honest, as long as you do the learning, so I'm guessing anyone with just maybe a GCSE in Math and English could do level 4 if they worked hard enough.

Our college state that NVQ 3 must be passed in full to start NVQ4. This the same for Intermediate, you must have completed foundation in full. I jumped straight into Intermediate but I had to sit the PLB paper to prove competence
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Options
    Our college is upsetting alot of people!

What do you think is a fair appraisal of students worthiness to progress?

my college in bristol you have to pass the intermediate to progress...level 4 is a degree level as intermediate is A level and foundation is gcse...you have to have some boundries otherwise people at entry 1 and 2 will be trying to do it...??!!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Our college you have to at the very least pass FRA and the simulations before you can progress - am still waiting on ECR but have already enrolled
  • reddwarf
    Options
    The criteria at our college are the 'ability' you have shown over the year (level 3) covering units 15 and 32 assessements and whether they 'think' you are up to level 4. FRA and ECR passes are assumed.

They are also insisting people take two years when they want to do it in one year but again this is measured on your 'capablities' not what you are prepared to put in.

One person didn't do homework got told off for 'attitude' plainly didn't do any homework and messed up two tests for ECR exam and messed up FRA exam paper and did a second paper! and has been kept on.

The process is completely arbitrary.

Your comments above make me think this process has been out of line with other colleges.
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    Also the fact that the part-time student are all above 21 also may explane the attitude of the college because of the mature aspect
  • reddwarf
    Options
    Just to say the reason given for dumping people is 'pressure for above to get high pass rates', filtered down from Learning and Skills council, who won't fund the college unless it meets it's criteria. What happend to 'Train to Gain' and all of those stupid government ditties!
  • David0097
    David0097 Registered Posts: 24 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Options
    I guess each college is just different.

Because I have a Business Degree, I was given the option of starting at level 4 with my college, but started at 3 as I wasn't sure it was too much of a jump straight away. Wish I had started at level 4 now, but having completed 3 - there is no point dwelling.

It's really bad that colleges are focussed on results and not the needs or wants of their students. We are after all, paying them, not the other way round.
  • reddwarf
    Options
    I guess each college is just different.

Because I have a Business Degree, I was given the option of starting at level 4 with my college, but started at 3 as I wasn't sure it was too much of a jump straight away. Wish I had started at level 4 now, but having completed 3 - there is no point dwelling.

It's really bad that colleges are focussed on results and not the needs or wants of their students. We are after all, paying them, not the other way round.
    You've hit the nail on the head, David! There is no proviso given when you start level 3 that there are other criteria other than passing AAT assessments and exams, for progressing to 4. There is an issue of ethical behaviour here too, pretty ironic really considering unit 32.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Options
    My college would allow you to start Technician with either one of FRA or ECR outstanding but not both. If you start DFS first there could be confusion between this and FRA, similarly PCR/PEV with ECR. They were concerned that information overload could lead to multiple failures, not good for the student or the college. It will also ensure that pupils in higher level classes are of similar abilities and not held back by someone constantly asking questions due to a fundamental lack of understanding.

Of course, colleges want to proudly protect their pass rates since these may be used to assess the worthiness of them being awarded future grants by external bodies. A successful college is more likely to be awarded further funding than a failing one not to mention it should also attract more potential students.
Privacy Policy