Software Issue

Options
ChristopherGreen
ChristopherGreen Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
Hello, Im looking for a cheap version of microsoft windows or vista for a computer i have built. I will be using the computer for study and work and would be greatful if any AAT members knew where I could get either OS cheaply. Would it be cheaky to ask if anyone has a spare product key for an fellow AAT member?

Thanks for the help.
chris

Comments

• Kecak
    Kecak Registered Posts: 50 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hello, Im looking for a cheap version of microsoft windows or vista for a computer i have built. I will be using the computer for study and work and would be greatful if any AAT members knew where I could get either OS cheaply. Would it be cheaky to ask if anyone has a spare product key for an fellow AAT member?

Thanks for the help.
    chris

If by 'cheeky' you mean 'illegal', then yes...it would be.

You could sign up for the Windows 7 beta and give that a go, it's free, available from Microsoft's website, and it lasts several months I think.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    If you log onto Microsoft website they offer cheapish O/S for computer builders
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Ther was something on hotukdeals within the last couple of months - try a search on there. Good luck (backs out green with envy over the pooter building).
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Try a Linux OS if you want cheap.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    http://www.openoffice.org/

is free and is windows compatible. i downloaded it for my daughter and she uses it all the time with no difficulties

Tracy

sorry re read your post - you were after OS not a program.
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    http://www.ubuntu.com/

we have used this in work and it is quite good

Tracy
  • Stevieboy
    Stevieboy Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    If you are registered as a student with the NUS then you can usually get software for reduced prices.
  • marknotgeorge
    marknotgeorge Registered Posts: 158 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    You can also get software very cheaply if you work for government departments such as the NHS and the military. Things like Office 2007 for about Β£18. You can also get Vista. All you need for access is an nhs.uk email address.
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Windows 7 or what ever its called is only Β£45 for a while..
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I like how we relentlessly offer advice with no further input from the poster.

But maybe Christopher cannot without an OS!
  • ChristopherGreen
    ChristopherGreen Registered Posts: 11 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Hi I would like to thank all of you for your replies, and sorry for the delayed reply from myself. I will have a look at linux and Windows 7 trials, I know there is a free 30 day trial available and a beta version for about Β£45. I also have a friend who works for microsoft and said he can get me a genuine license for windows vista ultimate for Β£22.

Thanks for all the input.
    chris
Privacy Policy