Work experience certification

Options
jay cutler
jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
I got my work experience approved by a long term past employer and it was "approved". I got over the 52 weeks work experience requirement. How is this recognised for ACCA or CIMA going forward ? Do I get a certificate or is it via MAAT membership ? I'm not sure so thats why I ask. ACCA and CIMA require 3 years relevant work experience. Does having this approved experience count ?

Comments

• Bookworm55
    Bookworm55 Registered Posts: 479 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    Are you asking if your experience used to gain you MAAT status can also be used towards the practical experience requirements of CIMA and/or ACCA?

I believe you can reuse it but, as higher level qualifications, what you were doing for AAT may not be sufficient for CIMA/ACCA. Have a close look at their requirements.

I don't get to count mine because it wasn't signed off by a qualified accountant (no-one at my old company had anything higher than AAT). Also, most of it wasn't really advanced enough to count for much of the CIMA requirement: despite there being more than three years of it.
  • NeilH
    NeilH Registered Posts: 553 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Hi

For ACCA and CIMA you can count any previous experience (MAAT or otherwise), all you need to do is record it in your ACCA/CIMA records and get it signed off.

CIMA do not require a qualified accountant to sign, as it is CIMA who will assess competence from the details you provide. The signatory must be someone who has a first hand knowledge of your work.

For ACCA the signatory should be a qualified accountant as it is the signatory who must "certify" your competence against the requirements. If the signatory is not a qaulified accountant, the record should be countersigned by the company's auditors. For CIMA you do not require a qualified accountant to sign, as it is CIMA who will assess competence from the details you provide. The signatory must be someone who has a first hand knowledge of your work.

Neil
  • jay cutler
    jay cutler Registered Posts: 57 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Thank you both for the replies. It makes sense now. forgive me what advantage does MAAT status have ? The work experience I got signed off is now more important than ever for me as I lost my job today. Hopefully with the results next month I hope the AAT qualification will help me finally find a permanent job.
Privacy Policy