Google Chrome

blobbyh
blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Is anyone else using this yet? I installed it the other day after constant Internet Explorer problems and I have to say it's pretty good. I've tried Firefox in the past but didn't like the interface so not sure how Google Chrome compares.

Only issues I've seen so far are;

1) When opening a new tab, your last nine websites visited are displayed as thumbnails. This can't be disabled so on a shared computer, people can easily see where you've been. Humungous privacy flaw and what were you thinking of Google? However, they are trying to fix this issue.

2) Downloads seem very slow through GC, possibly because my Download Manager (FDM) doesn't work very well with the new browser.

Good points;

1) Slightly more of the webpage is visible - top and bottom - in GC than with IE which could make a difference with small screens.

2) You can set favourite tabs along the top of the screen in GC for fast and easy switching between websites.

What's GC like for web designing Chris? IMO, Firefox and Opera were only ever marginal challengers to Microsoft but I can see GC being a real challenger to IE.

Comments

• PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    I have been using it for a couple of weeks, actually posted something on one of the topics here about it.

I find it a lot better than Firefox for some items but there are a few probs I have come across.

DVLA and Companies House websites don't like it, won't let you log on.

My HP laptop has a credential manager program which remembers your passwords and usernames and either automatically logs you into sites or prompts you to click and it will log you in, works on Firefox and I.E. does not recognise Google Chrome!

Google Chrome occasionally prompts you to save passwords for sites but then does not enter them automatically when you go back to that page.

However I do prefer it to IE and just jump back and forth to Firefox if needing a username and password for HMRC or DVLA.
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I can't say I'm all that enamoured of Chrome. I guess part of that is down to having Firefox modified, plug-inned, skinned and tweaked just the way I want it or maybe I'm just so used to FF that I'm resistant to change.

From a design/development perspective, Chrome is fine. It's W3C standards compliant so in theory stuff that works in FF should work in Chrome (and indeed Opera) and this seems from my experience so far to be the case in practice. It's really just IE that's the odd-one-out.

Chrome is actually slightly ahead of the standards game, implementing some aspects of HTML5/CSS2.1 that FF hasn't caught up with yet. The downside for Chrome is that most developers couldn't live without FF's web developer toolbar or the FireBug javascript debugger - until Chrome has equivalents of those FF will remain the developer's first choice.

Chrome is still very much the new kid on the block and has a way to go before it's up with Firefox in terms of features, developer community and market share. Whether it'll ever be a serious rival to FF let alone IE remains to be seen.
  • blobbyh
    Couple of months now since I started this thread and has anyone else switched to still using Google Chrome? Having just upgraded to IE 8 and accidentally switched on compatabilty mode which 'killed' one of my most visited websites and being unable to find out how to switch back, Microsoft's days look definitely numbered. If Google can sort out the few other issues such as their (IMO) poor downloading facility, I can't see myself ever wanting to use Internet Explorer again.
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I haven't tried chrome, I use Firefox. Recently downloaded Firefox to my laptop, which works well except for the fact I can't access YouTube from it :mad2: So I have to open up IE8 whenever I want to use YouTube :001_rolleyes:

Anyone know why that is?

I would try Chrome, but don't like the idea of having 3 different browsers on my laptop
  • taskey
    taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    i have macbook and i use google chrome. i think it is faster than safari and firefox. as it is only me that uses my macbook, when i open a new tab it is not a problem that it shows my most used.

i have also changed my computer in work to use google chrome too as i find ie excruciatingly slow.

Tracy
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I roll with Firefox tbh, it's great :)!
  • CJC
    Microsoft had some interesting issues with IE8. They finally seem to have got with the program and produced a standards compliant browser the trouble for MS was to do this but to ensure that all the old websites that had been written to work with older versions of IE didn't break. This was a hole entirely of their own digging but they got out of it by making us developers stick some code in all our pages telling IE if they are standards compliant. Given that it's Microsoft, the solution actually seems to work quite well (though not entirely it seems) and hopefully going forward will mean not having to write one site to work with IE6 (which is the real horror), one site to work with IE7 and one site to work with the other standards compliant browsers (Firefox, Safari, Opera, Chrome).

Matt: Not sure why YouTube shouldn't run at all for you. I've had some login problems with YouTube (and a few other sites) where it's down to them using Microsoft ActiveX code that doesn't always play well with other browsers.

And I've got six browsers on my work machine - including three versions of IE (two running on virtual machines so they don't conflict) - though I use Firefox to develop with and as my day-to-day browser.
  • LondonMatt
    LondonMatt Registered Posts: 1,110 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    CJC wrote: Β»
    Matt: Not sure why YouTube shouldn't run at all for you. I've had some login problems with YouTube (and a few other sites) where it's down to them using Microsoft ActiveX code that doesn't always play well with other browsers.

I can't access youtube at all. A Google error comes up - "Bad Request. Your client has issued a malformed or illegal request." :confused1:

Bloody annoying!
  • alicemaylara
    alicemaylara Registered Posts: 259 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I love google chrome, i have downloaded it on my work computer because its so quick and simple. Even the old slow computers can take it and its so fast. I find safari and firefox too crowded!
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    never seen gc but i use firefox......never had any problems with it at all !
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I have FF and GC - my preferred browser is FF, purely because I don't wanna lose all the addons I have d/l for it. I do like the look and feel of GC and will probably move over to it once the current batch of addon updates are expired. Also, I'm getting the Google phone next on contract when this runs out - I like the look and feel of that too and with it being Google, there's bound to be some free cool teccie geeky stuff thrown in the mix.

Matt - sound like you got the old case of bad cookies. Log out of all browsers except the one you're in (incase you have FF, IE, GC etc open simultaeneously) - click TOOLS > CLEAR PRIVATE DATA > Select the Cookies and Cache tick boxes click on Clear Private Data Now.

Hopefully that should sort out your youtube issue
  • blobbyh
    Since I got my shining little netbook with a tiny 8.9" screen, GC is my preferred browser since it takes up less screen space than IE in addition to loading more reliably/faster.
  • CJC
    Buff wrote: Β»
    I have FF and GC - my preferred browser is FF, purely because I don't wanna lose all the addons I have d/l for it. I do like the look and feel of GC and will probably move over to it once the current batch of addon updates are expired.

I like the speed of GC but there are some things I don't like and there doesn't seem to be a way of changing them - the way tabs behave when opening bookmarks/links is a prime example. Mostly for FF it's the addons and ability to customise it every which way that will keep me using it for the foreseeable future.
    Buff wrote: Β»
    Matt - sound like you got the old case of bad cookies. Log out of all browsers except the one you're in (incase you have FF, IE, GC etc open simultaeneously) - click TOOLS > CLEAR PRIVATE DATA > Select the Cookies and Cache tick boxes click on Clear Private Data Now.

Hopefully that should sort out your youtube issue
    Clearing the cookies and cache is always the first thing I try.
  • mark130273
    deleting those cookies are the main thing i lok at when online !?
  • Paul24
    Paul24 Registered Posts: 578 Epic contributor 🐘
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    1) When opening a new tab, your last nine websites visited are displayed as thumbnails. This can't be disabled so on a shared computer, people can easily see where you've been. Humungous privacy flaw and what were you thinking of Google? However, they are trying to fix this issue.

Yes thats something my Mrs pointed out to me that I hadnt realised, twas an interesting conversation :ohmy:
  • mark130273
    Paul24 wrote: Β»
    Yes thats something my Mrs pointed out to me that I hadnt realised, twas an interesting conversation :ohmy:

and what was in your last nine sites then ???

if you can list some of them ???

think it might come out as

hahhahahaha:laugh::laugh:
Privacy Policy