Debate:Working from home is cost effeicient

Options
Andypandy
Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
I just spent the last 4 hours at home sorting out some spreadsheets, but in the office this would have taken at least three days because of email & phone queries. If those of us in large organisations were given a day at home to work (getting down to business, as it were), we'd get soooo much more done & save our employers a fortune. That raises the question of should we be paid more for home-working because of much higher productvity?

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I find i can't do work when i'm at home lol

No motivation at all.. That's why i study at work too (after hours of course)

Feel that the minute i get home that's me finished for the day and can relax, watch telly etc
  • mark130273
    mark130273 Registered Posts: 4,234 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    pros and cons to workoing at home . if you have the moviation to properly work at home then you can get the work done very quickly . but im sure when your sitting there and on telly is the latest thing you wanna watch it is so easy to relax and think i will start that in a min and then 6 hours later ...your still sitting there ????

depends on your motivational skills ?
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I work better from home, but only since converting the spare bedroom into an office. Need to be sat at a desk and away from a tv!
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Seems half the people on this forum can't work when they're at work so can you imagine what it'd be like if they were at home?!

Thank God for Alt+tab
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    My house is always so much cleaner when I am "working" at home.

You need to be sooooooo motivated, or else you just make any excuse to do something else in-between the work, and before you know it you have watched everything you have recorded on sky+ and even daytime telly becomes an addiction.

It's also not good for the waistline having an office so close to the kitchen!!
  • Andypandy
    Andypandy Registered Posts: 526 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I get really worried that I won't have reports & stuff ready for meetings, & although I'm only at work for 3 days a week I'm stressed out 24/7. If I put an 'out of the office' notice on my emails, people just come into the office to have a root around & then I have to make some lame excuse for being unavailable. I don't mind doing my real work at home (with a bottle of wine) - at least I can relax a bit afterwards,knowing I've got something done.
  • AK002
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»
    Seems half the people on this forum can't work when they're at work so can you imagine what it'd be like if they were at home?!

Thank God for Alt+tab

:lol::lol:

So true..
  • Buff
    Buff Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I regularly try to fit a five day work load into 4 office days - which, sometimes pulls off without a hitch, but invariably I have to work from home on the other day. It's a contractual day off like, but you know how it is - leave it that day and it's doubled in size and importance come the following office work day.

For me, I prefer to be in the office where I can easily see people face to face rather than have to contact via phone and take their word for certain things as I can't log into certain part of my apps from home.

Also, with 2 small kids, it's difficult for me to stay fully focused when working at hoime.
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    It seems to me most people would get work done at home if they just switched that television off :001_smile:
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    blobbyh wrote: Β»

Thank God for Alt+tab

:laugh: too right. I dont know what i'd do without those 2 little keys :lol:
  • mark130273
    Options
    :laugh: too right. I dont know what i'd do without those 2 little keys :lol:

guess whos just been using the alt tab keys !!!
  • AK002
    Options
    lol, i daren't go on this during working hours.. it's not worth it lol!
  • mark130273
    Options
    AK002 wrote: Β»
    lol, i daren't go on this during working hours.. it's not worth it lol!

scaredy cat !
  • messedup89
    Options
    yup alsong as you alt+tab your good to go :D
  • AK002
    Options
    LOL @ Scaredy cat!

Web access is strictly monitored in here!
  • mark130273
    Options
    AK002 wrote: Β»
    LOL @ Scaredy cat!

Web access is strictly monitored in here!

ive had that at my old works when they banned vertually every site that was visited...
  • messedup89
    Options
    we have that now. hotmail, facebook, gamestation.........argos at one point!
  • mark130273
    Options
    we have that now. hotmail, facebook, gamestation.........argos at one point!

mail2web..........or there is cloak ??shhh but dont tell them ?
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    If I have a specific task and take all the required info home then I can generally get it done a lot quicker. If it is a new report etc. then I cant because there is no one else who knows how to extract the data. If it where just general day to day bits and pieces then I dont have the motivation.....

Would love extra pay for it but dont think its gonna happen!
  • mark130273
    Options
    one of those situations that would mean that you can put a feather in your cap with the bosses. wether its worth putting a feather in the cap by the bosses thats another question all together ?
Privacy Policy