Sage Bank rec

Options
JodieR
JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
I did a bank rec on sage today and when I finished I was reviewing the unreconciled items and noticed that one of the cheques which had cleared the account was still showing as unreconciled. I was checking the balance after each day and the cheque definately wasn't entered twice, so I'm very confused as to what's gone wrong! The cheque in question cleared in May and I've since reconciled June and July's statements, does anyone know what the best way is to re-check May's figures? Ideally I'd like May's reconciled transactions exported to a spreadsheet - is that possible? I'm not sure what version of Sage they're using but I think it must be from the top end of the range.
Thanks
:001_unsure:

Comments

• AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Since they are reconciled you can run the 'bank statement' report in sage. This shows you all reconciled transactions in the dates you enter. You can then export that report to excel, but if it's only a small bank or a small amount of posting i'd just tick it off against the bank.

Remeber and make sure your opening balances agree first.
  • Sevren
    Sevren Registered Posts: 101 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    I'm still battling with the blessed thing as well Jodie - I have found that uncleared transactions simply fail to appear in the rec and then mysteriously reappear after you do a duplicate entry.

I have no idea why it is so popular. I have invested in a 'dummies guide' in a bid to make sense of it all.
  • JodieR
    Options
    Sevren, that mysterious dissapearing & reappearing thing could be because at the top of the screen there's a date and only transactions up to that date are shown. So, like if you've entered a recurring transaction on the 1st of every month and then it clears on the 31st of the month before it's not there to reconcile, but will be there next month when you didn't want it!
    The book I've got is 'Sage 50 Accounting 2008 in easy steps' but it's b*llocks really! I was trying to work out what exactly to enter in each field when entering supplier bills and it very helpfully states 'Enter the Date and other invoice details' :lol: let me know if the dummies book is any better please!

And thanks AK002 - it's a pretty big bank rec, most pages of the banks statements only cover a day each, which is why I wanted the data to be in excel instead of manually ticking off. You know you can give a reference to each reconcilliation (ie I called that one May 2009), is there a way to run a report just showing transactions reconciled with that reference? It's next week before I'm back there but it'd be great if I knew what to do when I get there!
  • AK002
    Options
    Hi, well like i said if you run a bank statement and then save as to a CSV file that will give you it in excel like you asked.

However, if you go into the bank rec screen and click view history down the bottom it goes to a folder that has a saved copy of all recs you have given a reference.
  • JodieR
    Options
  • Sevren
    Options
    You are absolutely right Jodie - many thanks !

I am at the end of my first week of battling with Sage and whilst we still don't like each other the abuse isn't so hostile now.....(no you can't drill down here - and no - I insist on keep putting todays date in everything !!)

I will let you know how I get on with dummies guide.....
  • AK002
    Options
    feel free to ask me too, been using sage for a few good years now!
  • Sevren
    Options
    AK002 wrote: Β»
    feel free to ask me too, been using sage for a few good years now!

Many thanks - you may regret that though !!
  • Jan
    Jan Registered Posts: 654 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    I was trying to work out what exactly to enter in each field when entering supplier bills and it very helpfully states 'Enter the Date and other invoice details'

That's because what you enter in the details is up to you. I used to just put the ref no of the invoice, that way if there was a query with the supplier I could see it on the screen.

I think with Sage you either love it or hate it, same with Quickbooks. I went from another more complicated package called Accpac (who's heard of it) so Sage was a godsend.
  • AK002
    Options
    Jan wrote: Β»
    That's because what you enter in the details is up to you. I used to just put the ref no of the invoice, that way if there was a query with the supplier I could see it on the screen.

I think with Sage you either love it or hate it, same with Quickbooks. I went from another more complicated package called Accpac (who's heard of it) so Sage was a godsend.

I put a file reference i.e. 1 onwards so i can find it in a file and then a / then the last 3 digits of the invoice number
  • Yazi
    Yazi Registered Posts: 225 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    If you are using POP on Sage then put this into the Supplier invoice Ref and when you go to supplier activity you can click on it and it goes straight to the POP ...
  • JodieR
    Options
    Jan wrote: Β»
    That's because what you enter in the details is up to you.

That's what I though but I ended up entering their internal reference in (I think) the 'Ref' field, and then when the remittance advices were printed out to send with the cheque run they all had our internal references on instead of the supplier's invoice number. Oops!
Privacy Policy