Graduates only for retail jobs

Options
Londina
Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
I was wondering why in the retail sector they only require graduates for their finance department and not people with a professional qualification?:huh:

Graduate opportunities
Retailing is one of the UK's largest sources of graduate vacancies, these have continued to increase in recent years as graduate opportunities in other industries have largely declined. The key roles for graduates tend to lie within Head Office (Buyers and Merchandisers) or Store Management, with typical graduate training schemes lasting anywhere from one to three years. One of the great things about choosing a graduate career in retail is the potential for comparably rapid progression into the more lucrative senior roles.

Comments

• Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Because they can pay them a poor wage in return for the training, I would guess.
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor 🐘
    Options
    Because they can pay them a poor wage in return for the training, I would guess.

This anyway doesn't happen everywhere to any unexperienced student just qualified? Sure if they want to esploit someone, they would advertise to a large scale of students, not only graduates...
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    well I would guess they want a certain level of education
  • Luflux
    Luflux Registered Posts: 52 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    I work for a large High Street Retailer and agree with Blue in a way. Someone who is fully qualified will expect a higher job than of that of a merchandiser and the higher pay that follows. Although i was lucky and started my career whilst completing level 3 AAT i feel the potential here is worth the "Low" pay. We have to start somewhere and my employers are willing to train me to acheive chartered status. For this i dont feel as if I'm on a low wage and know that i will look back in three years and think wow.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    I can't see how the short and very generalised snippet, posted by Londina, directly relates to people specifically working within the finance side of a business, where I'd imagine a professional accounting qualification still remains a priority over a university degree. Maybe the fuller article expanded on this?
  • sebastianforbes
    sebastianforbes Registered Posts: 172 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Options
    from what i read of the article above titled 'graduate opportunities', i have understood the following...

1) at no point in the article does it state that people without a graduate eduation will not be accepted for a non-graduate post.

2) at no point in the article does it state that equivalent key employment opportunities do not also exist for non-graduates.

3) the article is about graduates. if you're not a graduate, it doesn't apply to you.

in summary, better to follow articles which are directed at professionally qualified people (if you fit into that category) rather than to follow articles which are not directed to you.

i really hate the old adage but...

if the cap fits, wear it !
Privacy Policy