Turned down for financial support

Options
troy
troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
Hello All,

I ask my employer about supporting me on further studies, and they have turned me down. I work for the NHS and I want to study ACCA. I recieved this decision by email.

My question to you all is, should I continue my studies through distance learning, and if you think I should, which learning provider should I enrol with, Kaplan or BPP? The only thing about distance learning is the potential lack of tutor support, but i would not be able to afford to pay for the option of having weekend study days with the Uni

Comments

• anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Hi Troy

That's very disappointing for you! But if they have paid for your AAT, then I suppose you could think of that as a bonus.

If it's what you want to do then go for it - if only to do it in spite of them. I have paid for myself to do AAT and am doing it via home study for two reasons; available funds and small people to look after (aged 11 and 2). It gives me pride that I am doing it for myself/by myself and that nobody has any hold over me if I pass or fail. I know that it is me who will benefit in the end (hopefully!!!).

Why not go for it anyway, study whichever way you can afford, and hopefully you can use the ACCA forums for help too (the AAT forum is always useful and I suppose the ACCA one will be just the same). Get stuck in and start achieving ACCA exam passes then go back to your employer, let them see your dedication and results and perhaps they'll reconsider.

Alternatively, you could go back to the person who emailed you and ask for a meeting to discuss the matter further - it has to be worth half an hour of your time to try and negotiate; look at the value of half an hour of your time compared to the cost of the course! Perhaps you need to sell yourself, your skills and your enthusiasm, but be determined and keen not dreamy or uncertain "ooooooooooh I think I might like to play at ACCA next" sort of thing!!!

Nothing to lose Troy!

Good luck

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor šŸ˜
    Options
    Have a look on Premier Training's website, I study AAT through them and will do ACCA too, they are cheaper than the big firms like Kaplan and BPP and they are very good with support.
  • sharonj
    sharonj Registered Posts: 166 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    I study with Premier Training and I think they're really good. You can pay in installments as well. I 'm only studying the advanced Certificate at the moment which costs just over Ā£400, they have taken it out of my bank in four instalments and four payments of just over Ā£100 is much more easy to manage.

I know they do ACCA and I think it is about Ā£200 ish per paper, I think. The only difference with ACCA compared to the AAT is that I don't think they have a tutor to assist you with the training once you get to ACCA, but they provide you with all the books and guidance but without tutor assistance. It's worth talking to them to make sure this is the case though.

I work for a bank and also asked if they would pay for me to study. I thought that as I already work for a financial institution that there would not be any problems but to get funding you usually have to be able to justify the business need and as I don't work in an accounts department, there is no business need for any accountancy qualification. I work in a payments department dealing with money markets loans and deposits. It could not be justified, it's a shame but to be honest the fact that I'm paying for it myself makes me all the more determined to do well.
  • nade1989
    nade1989 Registered Posts: 35 Regular contributor ā­
    Options
    if your doing it at home by yourself i would do the cheapest option, kaplan is the best but thats if your actually doing day release with them.
  • rachelrunshaw
    rachelrunshaw Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ā­
    Options
    Hi

Are you hoping to continue your career within the NHS? If so then the CIPFA qualification may be more appropriate. This is more suited to non profit making organisations and may be a reason why your request to study ACCA was turned down. Just a thought.
  • LeeS2009
    LeeS2009 Registered Posts: 1,515 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Hi

Are you hoping to continue your career within the NHS? If so then the CIPFA qualification may be more appropriate. This is more suited to non profit making organisations and may be a reason why your request to study ACCA was turned down. Just a thought.

I agree with you, CIPFA may be more preferable by DOF's in the NHS, however, you will find that there are people within your NHS organisation who are qualified with CIPFA, CIMA & ACCA and will all be performing their role effectively or at least should be!!.

Dont take an instant knock back as a straight no, you will never get anywhere like that, build a case for your studies e.g - what do you currently offer your organisation in terms of productivity, what is your value.
    Then think about what you want to be worth to your organisation, you want to maximise your productivity and your worth, you need to point out what the organisation and or department will get out of funding you, pro's and cons, give your organisation options....do you really have to go with ACCA?

It is not unreasonable to get hold of your corporate handbook and pick out policies such as "we are dedicated to promoting the development of our staff etc.... look for them, they will be there...so use them. Build up a good case/argument for helping you develop so that you can help your directorate develop and discuss these with your manager not via email.
    Its your life, I wouldnt be happy with just a straight no, I would want to discuss the reasons and go in armed to the teeth a good case against the decision.

Good luck, however you decide to go :thumbup1:
  • troy
    troy Registered Posts: 275 Dedicated contributor šŸ¦‰
    Options
    Hi,

Firstly, thank you for your replies. I was initially miffed that work had decided to email me to turn me down when i went to them in person. Now i am over that, i would like to tell you my decision.

I will go back to the bosses and discuss their reasons and explain why i want to do ACCA, and these are purely personal. I love working in the NHS but we are an ever decreasing department and they have made a decision against 'back filling' vacancies at the moment. As you can imagine, in these uncertain times i want to give myself the best chances out there on the job market, should the worst happen, and sadly CIPFA can't do that.

I have just bought the Kaplan books F4 and F5 to start learning from as i know whatever work say i will miss the deadline for December exams. And i am going to continue my further studies. I know that some of you may think me daft to spend the money (esp. as we do not get our results until Monday) but i am determined to study further.
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Sounds like a good plan and positive attitude Troy! Go for it :thumbup1:

Anna
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor šŸ§™ā€ā™‚ļø
    Options
    Good on you troy :)
Privacy Policy