dfs and tax exams dec 09

taskey
taskey Registered Posts: 1,800 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
how far would you recommend going back on past papers?

Tracy

Comments

• Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    DEC 06 Chief Assessors report for DFS says!! This was the first exam that assessed financial statements in accordance with international
    accounting standards (IAS)

I was printing them out last week and come across it. So ideally wouldnt go back any further.
  • taskey
    brilliant, thanks

tracy
  • Portsmouth_AAT
    Portsmouth_AAT Registered Posts: 96 Regular contributor ⭐
    Sorry forgot you asked about TAX too.

I done personal tax in June and my college had the Dec 08 exam revised to new rules from the AAT as a practice paper and the AAT books have lots (5/6 i think) practice papers at the back.

That was my revision, the college lecturer did try and revise older papers but tbh we had to question her answers and majority of time hers were wrong so best to stick with the book and the one paper the AAT revise. Im sure it must be avaliable on the website nearer the time for all to use.

Good Luck! :thumbup:
  • Clare Finch
    Clare Finch Registered Posts: 40 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi,

I just wanted to remind you for DFS in December the examiner will be using the new IAS revised terminology. Although the past papers say balance sheet, the real exam in Dec 09 will say 'statement of financial position'.

Regards

Clare (Kaplan tutor)
  • taskey
    thanks clare,

where would i find any other info on it? i am doing home study and i live in germany, so going to the shops etc is a no go for me.

Also Clare, are you the author of the book promoted on accoutancy students website along with steve's book?

Any help would be appreciated.

Tracy
  • Clare Finch
    Hi Tracy,

I am the author of 'A students guide'. Thank you for asking.

I work for Kaplan and I know for certain our DFS material was updated for IAS revised ready for this December.

It is not a big deal, but could be if you have never heard of a 'statement of financial position' and therefore didn't realise it is just a balance sheet by another name!!

Feel free to ask if you have any queries...the students guide too is up to date.

Good luck

Clare
  • taskey
    brilliant, thanks Clare.

Tracy
  • dobbieobby
    dobbieobby Registered Posts: 231 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Where do I find the student guides please?
  • Clare Finch
    Hi,

Well there is a offer in Septembers PQ magazine for a 20% discount. This means it costs £20.

You ring 01189 890629 (option 1) and quote code IFRSPQ1471.

Amazon have it on at an 8% discount only,but you can look at it and read reviews here.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Students-Guide-IFRS-Clare-Finch/dp/1847107087/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251215624&sr=8-1.

Hope that helps and good luck

Clare
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    lol i like the spaghetti numbers on toast :)
  • Clare Finch
    Well it made me smile...students are meant to live on beans on toast but accountancy students...well they would buy numberetti spaghetti...surely!!

I'm glad you liked it!!

Take care

Clare
  • Clare Finch
    Hi Tracey,

I just cut and paste this from the DFS guidance notes:

'Range statement
    The range statement makes it clear that the financial statements that are drafted under this element are the:
    • income statement
    • balance sheet(statement of financial position from December 2009 sitting)
    • Statement of recognised income and expense [formerly Statement of total recognised gains and losses (STRGL)]
    • Supplementary notes required by statute (but includes disclosures required by IAS and other relevant pronouncements)'

To to confirm it is def statement of financial position from Dec!!

Love your dancing icon by the way!

Clare
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Clare

Just to let you know, I loved your book!!!

My mind works in a similar way to you, I make up rhymes and silling sayings, and I too visualise with clouds......

My favourite was the "really,Cute,Guys" saying for remembering the order on the Income Statement - so simple, but such a great help when remembering whilst under pressure.

Thanks so much, I passed DFS with the help of your book, and Steves revision course. :thumbup:

Tracy
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    The best bit I found was the sayings to deal with the cash flow statement, that got me through corporate reporting!!!
  • taskey
    i am going to have to order it now, with the 2 recommendations from above.

Thanks Guys

Tracy
  • columbia
    columbia Registered Posts: 580 Epic contributor 🐘
    Clare, where's our commission!!!!! :lol: :001_tt2:
  • Clare Finch
    Hey, thank you guys...I am really pleased you found the book useful, I hope you can get it OK in Germany Tracy ( and apologies for misspelling your name last time..my friend has an e in hers!)

Your kind words are muccchhh appreciated.

Clare
  • taskey
    i have found the guidance on myaat under unit 11 so i will look through that.

Thanks

Tracy
Privacy Policy