Dilema - one or two years for Techician

reddwarf
reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
I have a choice of two places for Level 4:-

1. is diploma 2. is NVQ - (it is possible to transfer from Dip to NVQ by doing 7 more questions on unit7)

1. takes two years and does Business and Personal Tax, and doesn't do unit 33 (diploma) until June 2010, but the college is 25 miles from work, then 16 mile drive home.

2. The other takes one year and does unit 8&9 NVQ in Dec 09 (ekkk!), but does not do the business tax unit just personal tax. The also cash management (unit 15) which I have already done (thank gawd!). This college is 6 miles from work, then 13 mile drive home.

All of the tutors I met are very friendly and professional, unlike those I experienced in my last two years of study at another more local college!!

It looks like a 'no brainer' but I am worried about not keeping up with the schedule in option 2.

Any thoughts welcome!

Comments

• *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Hi, have you considered distance learning?? Im studying the diploma pathway by distance learning. This way I can work at my own pace, take longer or shorter and fit the simulations in when it suits me. Does take a lot of motivation though. Also I work in accounts and have done so since June 2000 so that might help with home study. Anouther plus for home study is its cheaper!!

Jo
  • reddwarf
    Thanks Jo, I had considered home study but feel I need support of lectures etc., thank you though!
  • Pencil
    Pencil Registered Posts: 97 Regular contributor ⭐
    When I was considering what to do at Technician stage, some of the students elected to study over two years whereas our college encouraged us to do it in one.

I elected to do it in one year, I also had a relatively long way to travel to and from college (20 miles each way) but studied in the hope of completing in one year but if it took two years then so be it.

As it happened, I was fortunate enough to be able to complete it in one year, it is a lot of work and as with most things, you get out of it what you put in. Stay focused and study well and you should be able to complete in one year.

Best of luck!! :thumbup1:
  • reddwarf
    Pencil, thank you, your comments are very constructive. My journey would be less then yours so that's something! I do work hard when I've committed to something but our last tutor was very negative and has drained my confidence.

Never the less I am going to go all our for the one year option.

Thank you again!
  • Jon_1984
    Jon_1984 Registered Posts: 186 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Something some of my fellow students found out in the third year is that the college we attended don't offer every exam at every sitting, only at the end of the term they taught it in. This means if you(worst case scenario) fail an exam you could add a full year onto whichever option you go with.....
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Best of luck with the option you have/are going to choose.

Try to ignore negative comments if they are non constructive. Only you know what motivates you and how much time/work you are willing to give. If it takes you a little longer than a year so be it :thumbup1:
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I've just started Technician and will be aiming to do it over 1 year..

Seems like an achievable task as PEV & PCR (NVQ) = MAC (Diploma) so it's really just "one" exam over 2 days..

That's how i'm thinking abuot it anyway :lol:
  • reddwarf
    Okay peeps, I have my determined head on now!

Thank you again - good luck AK002!
  • Esme
    Esme Registered Posts: 711 Epic contributor 🐘
    The second 1 year option you mentioned is exactly what I'm doing but by distance learning and it looks pretty manageable so I'm sure you'd be fine if you chose that.
  • reddwarf
    Thanks Esme, well 'the dye is cast', I've confirmed my 1 year course :ohmy:

I'm also doing Sandy's revison course above - which I can recommend to anyone interested.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor 🐘
    You could always do the bulk of it at college and do the Business Tax unit home study if you really wanted to do that unit
  • reddwarf
    I thought that PAMDILL, but I think I'll be a shrunken wreck by the time I get to that piont! Nice thought though.
Privacy Policy