Fraudulant emails from HMR&C

Julia Crouch
Julia Crouch Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

Appologies if you are all aware of this already I have not been on the discussion forum very much lately and so I am not sure if this has cropped up in another thread.

I have had several clients now receiving emails, supposedly from HMR&C advising that they are due a tax refund and requesting that they send back their bank card details.

These emails are obviously fraudulant.

HMR&C have asked that as many of the emails as possible are forwarded onto the following email address to enable them to try and track them.

phishing@hmrc.gsi.gov.uk

Julia

Comments

• T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I have had two or three clients ringing me with queries about these. I have told them to just delete them!
  • sarahwilson
    sarahwilson Registered Posts: 567 Epic contributor 🐘
    If you go onto the HMRC website there is a page with all the email addresses they are aware of that are sending these fake emails out. We had one at work from refunds@hmrc.gov.uk which is a pretty convincing looking email address.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    Amazing really how they can get such a good email address!
  • sarahwilson
    I agree, you would think that all the @hmrc.gov.uk ones would be held by HMRC, oh no hang on that would be common sense:laugh:
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    HMRC do have all the hmrc.gov.uk addresses.

It is just made to look like it came from that address.
  • sarahwilson
    Ah I see, I'll bite my tongue for my schoolboy type of error:001_smile:
  • JodieR
    JodieR Registered Posts: 1,002 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    if you're going to get technical about it, HMRC (and most/all? other civil service departments) email addresses always have the 'gsi' bit in it too, ie xxxx@yyy.gsi.gov.uk , but yes, it's surprising there's not checks on people settting up addresses ending .gov.uk
Privacy Policy