Practice Management

Options
SarahS
SarahS Registered Posts: 60 Regular contributor ⭐
Hi

I know that many other MiPs use VT Software and are extremely happy with it - including myself.

I'd like to ask those who are using VT how they manage in terms of software for practice management. Currenly I'm using Excel to keep track of client information, submission dates etc but it's going to get unwieldy at some point. I was thinking of try to set up something similar in Access but just don't have the time or the appropriate level of MS Access skills really to implement something better than what I've already got in Excel.

I have looked into integrated packages with this facility but to be honest, I'm very happy with VT and the additional expense isn't justified with my existing client portfolio.

Would love to hear what systems others have in place.

Sarah

Comments

• burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Options
    I am also currently using excel with a traffic light system and a range of formulas.

Basically I input the client, if it is a ltd co or not, and the Y/E.

The formulas I have used then show me all deadlines for the company. Then my traffice light system shows me those due:-

in after 6 months time
    within 6 months
    within 3 months
    within 1 month
    Overdue

It took a while to set up and I am constantly tweaking but I cannot find anything that is worth paying the price for at the moment. I do use Digita though as opposed to VT.
    Regards,

Burg
  • SarahS
    Options
    Thanks

Hi Burg

Thanks for that. So you're obviously not using the Digita practice management module as well?

I really would like an integrated system but can't justify the cost at the moment.
  • burg
    Options
    No, not using the Digita one at the moment.

It may be something I look at more closely in the future but at the moment my excel sheet works fine.

It maybe thought that as things grow the spreadsheet may get too large.
    Regards,

Burg
  • T J
    T J Registered Posts: 26 Regular contributor ⭐
    Options
    Hi
    Can I "butt in" and ask how many clients you have?

I'm also looking to implement something more foolproof than ticking off to-do lists for keeping track of deadlines. I do have all my clients' info sorted and easy to find but remembering whose VAT returns are due when etc gets a bit confusing at times.

Thanks
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    We use ACCA Practise manager its fairely new but pretty good but expensive and takes a while to set up

http://uk.accaglobal.com/uk/members/support/public_practice/practice_manager/

i also have set up office outlook calander for reminders EG VAT RETURNS DUE AND YELLOW BOOK PAYMENTS ECT
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Yikes, that is expensive! What else does the software do?

I track everything on a spreadsheet, one worksheet for ITRs, one for CT, one for VAT, one for payroll. Seems to work fine for around 130 clients.
  • burg
    Options
    Running my spreadsheet for around 65 clients at present.
    Regards,

Burg
  • SarahS
    Options
    ACCA Practice Manager - expensive!

ACCA Practice Manager is very expensive indeed! I've got the software on a 30 days trial. It's suited more to a larger practice and is very comprehensive - far too sophisicated for my practice at the moment and simply not justifiable in terms of cost.

Incidentally, it is only available to CCAB approved MiPs.
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Hi Sarah

What additional features does it have?

Does it include a time and fees program?
  • SarahS
    Options
    Features

Hi Dean

I didn't spend much time looking at it as it was a bit of a task just to get into the demo data to be honest, but yes it does.

A list of the features from the back of the case are:

- single-module system
    -mailshots and marketing
    - practice information at your fingertips
    - suite of ready to use letters
    - warnings on job status
    - job deadlines listed for planning
    - integrated time costs and billing
    -audit trail of all documents generated

I think it would do everything you could possibly want it to but at Β£46 a month it does a bit too much for me and far too comprehensive for me limited needs so I'm off to design my Excel spreadsheet :-)

Definitely worth a 30 day trial to see what you think (CCAB only)
  • burg
    Options
    Also guys if you are interested Digita have just released a time and fees package with practice management.

I'm going to be in touch with them next week to get prices and a demo so I guy test its usability and price.

If the rest of the digita range is to go buy it should be fairly simple to use as it uses a MS Outlook style layout.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Doug7
    Doug7 Registered Posts: 20 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    You could have a look at BTC SA solutions they have recently been recommended by VT .I am still using spread sheets ,have thought about using Acess data base but don,t know how easy it would be to import data to Drummhor or BTC and not sure there are import functions on vt+
    Doug
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    Were on our second year of using it we dont use the billing aspect but the time alerts are an important aspect for us we are a 350 + client practise with around half limited. Also when taking on new clients your new client forms are to hand.

This i like as time saved on designing LOE ect. Also is used for other employees keeping track of holidays, sick days ect.

As said it is expensive and if a small firm not really worth it, and i would set up Access and outlook calender for reminders.
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Options
    burg wrote: Β»
    Also guys if you are interested Digita have just released a time and fees package with practice management.

I'm going to be in touch with them next week to get prices and a demo so I guy test its usability and price.

If the rest of the digita range is to go buy it should be fairly simple to use as it uses a MS Outlook style layout.

Hi Burg, just wondered if you'd been in touch with Digita yet and tested the demo.
  • burg
    Options
    No, not yet as I've been a bit busy.

Will see if I can catch up with them tomorrow.
    Regards,

Burg
  • jilt
    Options
    Yeah I know what you mean, sorry will wait patiently :001_smile:
  • burg
    Options
    Jilt,

I am having an online demo of the Digita Practice Management and Time & Fees on Monday 26th October. I will report back with what I think and likely costs.
    Regards,

Burg
  • jilt
    Options
    burg wrote: Β»
    Jilt,

I am having an online demo of the Digita Practice Management and Time & Fees on Monday 26th October. I will report back with what I think and likely costs.

Hi Burg, did you have the demo?
  • burg
    Options
    sorry guys completely forgot about reporting back here.

Basically it's rather expensive particularly for setting up.

It is very complex and you have to have their team come out to site to set it up. It is around Β£500 for this. It was then about Β£1000 per annum.

Really good product that did loads and was in line with their other products for simplicity of use just was more suited to a larger practice.

They did say they are working on a condensed version with less features for smaller practices so maybe something in the future.
    Regards,

Burg
  • jilt
    Options
    Thanks Ian, looks I'll be sticking to my wall charts ...lol
  • GPT33
    GPT33 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    Options
    Practice Management

Excuse me for butting in. I struggled for years with spreadsheets, white boards etc. but now I use Act! by Sage for practice management, which we had customised by a local software house so it produces standard letters on the first of each month to clients who have a year-end at the end of the month reminding them to do a stocktake etc. Next month they get a letter asking when we can come to collect the records. The records are logged into Act! and a pop-up appears on screen each day until the job is done, and an email sent to the client out of Act! with the queries.

We are not Sage lovers at all, we use VT +. Cost was Β£1100 all in for 5 licences including the tweeking.
Privacy Policy