FAO Steve

Glynis
Glynis Registered Posts: 488 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
Steve cn you help to explain why the use of accounting standards are important to auditors. I tried to PM but your box is full.

Comments

• A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    can i say something and dont take afence but a major part of learning is looking for it yourself that way you will remember it
  • candy84
    candy84 Registered Posts: 7 New contributor ๐Ÿธ
    Glynis you ask some of the most ridiculous questions here.

Steve has the greatest patience and exhibits enormous control.

You asked him to

explain why the use of accounting standards are important to auditors

please add

explain why the use of the highway code are important to traffic cops

explain why the use of the rules of football are important to referees

I read that you plan to become an auditor (or assist on audits). Have you applied for a job without having a clue about what it involves?
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ

You asked him to

please add

I read that you plan to become an auditor (or assist on audits). Have you applied for a job without having a clue about what it involves?

thats a bit harsh
  • Glynis
    I'm sorry but isn't the whole point of the forums to ask questions and receive help. Steve always helps students and his help will help us get through our problems. If people find my posts ridiculous then they don't have to reply!
  • SandyHood
    SandyHood Registered, Moderator Posts: 2,034 mod
    Glynis deserves credit for being thick skinned and putting up with criticism.
    She also deserves credit for speaking out and asking when she doesn't know the answer to a question.

Candy, I agree that the question is fundamental to auditing, but there was a point perhaps quite along time ago when even Steve didn't know what auditing was. And someone would have had to tell him. So we all have to start somewhere.
    Sandy
    sandy@sandyhood.com
    www.sandyhood.com
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis,

As I mentioned to you on a previous post, auditing is a 'follow on' from accounts preparation. It is absolutely vital that an auditor is fully conversant with accounting standards because how else will they be able to form an opinion as to whether financial statements are 'true and fair' which is the whole objective of the audit.

Consider, for example, a client who has a financial instrument which is carried at fair value though profit or loss. If the auditor did not know the provisions in IAS 39 'Financial Instruments: Recognition and Measurement' which state that such financial instruments must be measured at fair value on the entity's statement of financial position then how can the auditor audit that entity? More simply, if the auditor did not know the provisions in IAS 2 'Inventories' then how could they ensure that an entity has valued its closing inventory correctly?

If you go back to your DFS days when you prepared financial statements and dealt with accounting standards and relate that subject to auditing then you will be able to answer your question.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    There has also been an article written by an ACCA Examiner who also looked at this issue which might help you.

Regards
    Steve
  • A-Vic

You asked him to

please add

I agree it was extreamly harsh the advice i gave was for glynis not that any question on here is a bad question as there are probly 5 others who wouldn't ask and it has helped
  • Glynis
    Steve thank you so much for this.

I am still struggling and will ask questions if I need to until I fully understand the subject. I would love to be able to understand things as quickly as others but I am not that fortunate.

Steve I think I speak on behalf of thousands of students wheb I say you are a godsend to us and a credit to this forum.
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Candy's comments were indeed harsh but I don't feel entirely unnecessary. Glynis, I wish you the best of luck with this but I do feel you should have taken the advice given a while ago and tried another module, irrespective of cost. You say you want to go on to do ACCA but your time spent stuck doing this "unpassable" module is also costing you in delays. You also need to address the true causes of your repeated struggling and stop blaming everything on your teacher, who by the other accounts you've been given, actually seems adequate. Every time you mention your "rubbish teacher", you can almost hear the groans from everyone reading. As written elsewhere, you really do need to develop that thicker skin since even if you do eventually pass your audit sim, would you be entirely confident? If those 'weaknesses' were exposed in a working environment, wouldn't it be hideously embarrassing for you?

While I've never done AAT audit, I have been an auditor in a different industry and believe you must possess an intuitive, inquisitive mindframe which not everyone has. I don't necessarily feel it's a case of you'll get there in the end since you have to be cut out for certain job roles - as we undoubtedly are for accountancy - so surely you must question if you are for a career in audit?
  • umerali2003
    umerali2003 Registered Posts: 400 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Few motivational words for glynis ... Come on now smash this unit out of the way and prove a point to your critics
  • Londina
    Londina Registered Posts: 814 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Glynis wrote: ยป
    Steve I think I speak on behalf of thousands of students wheb I say you are a godsend to us and a credit to this forum.

yes, Steve is absolutely great, but pleas Glynis don't speak on students's behalf...I'm different from you...
  • AK002
    AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    but pleas Glynis don't speak on students's behalf...I'm different from you...

Was there any need?
  • Londina
    eerrr why not? just a clarification..
  • A-Vic
    Oi you lot its friday ya wreking my Mojo
  • umerali2003
    yes, Steve is absolutely great, but pleas Glynis don't speak on students's behalf...I'm different from you...

absolutely agree with ak002 there is no need to go that far .. She was just thank ful to steve on the behalf of all the students i dont see any bad thing in it . I mean if u cant help any body then get over it and let the person deal with it who is actually in a position to help and that is steve . I never seen a single word from either steve or sandy that they dont wana help glynis but always see nasty comments from those people who have nothing to do with it .
  • Londina
    . I never seen a single word from either steve or sandy that they dont wana help glynis but always see nasty comments from those people who have nothing to do with it .

hahah this discussion is not about how good Steve/Sandy are ect, but about someone else behavious and attitude...stop shifting the attention elsewhere..By the way this is a public discussion in a public forum, so things affect everyone....
  • A-Vic
    Actually this was a thread forum by someone asking for help not a discussion on whom can attack someone or not
  • Richard
    Richard Registered Posts: 373 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Glynis deserves credit for being thick skinned and putting up with criticism.
    She also deserves credit for speaking out and asking when she doesn't know the answer to a question.

I agree with Sandy. Glynis is obviously finding this unit difficult, and is unhappy with her tutor, so is asking for help from other people. We have all encountered areas of our studies that we have struggled with, and will have asked for help from fellow students.

There seem to be too many personal attacks on this forum regarding Glynis' posts, but she does deserve credit for at least continuing with her studies, and not 'giving up'.

My advice to her is that she may need to review her 'learning style' (especially if she intends to move onto ACCA), but stick with it - you will feel a great sense of achievement when you finally achieve your MAAT status.
    Glynis don't speak on students's behalf...I'm different from you...

I also agree with the responses made by other members' with regards to this unneccessary comment.
  • umerali2003
    hahah this discussion is not about how good Steve/Sandy are ect, but about someone else behavious and attitude...stop shifting the attention elsewhere..By the way this is a public discussion in a public forum, so things affect everyone....

Actually you didnt get my point All i said was that those people who are helping glynis had no problem at all so why you are getting annoyed I mean if you dont like it then dont comment on it she is not asking you for a help and by the way i have never seen any bad behaviour or attitude from glynis side but have seen a lot of nasty comments about glynis from your side . And how come things going to affect every one when glynis ask a question ? From where i see its very use full for other students as well and i think most of my fellow members will agree on this
  • welshwizard
    welshwizard Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    ....there is no such thing a stupid question, just a stupid answer....
  • messedup89
    messedup89 Registered Posts: 1,281 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    ....there is no such thing a stupid question, just a stupid answer....

lol other way around according to some high school teachers!
Privacy Policy