Registration as an agent

Rachel
Rachel Registered Posts: 348 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hello

I registered as an agent a while back, however I have not received anything from HMCE confiming this. I have tried using the registration numbers I was given to register to file returns electroncially but it won't let me.

I have tried to find the page where I registered as an agent in the first place but can't find it. Does anyone have the link? I find it difficult to call them in the day as I have 2 small children.

Thanks for your help

Rachel
Β«1

Comments

• slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
  • Rachel
    thanks but that is for on-line services where you need you agent number, I need to get to the part where you register as an agent. Just managed to call HMCE and they told me to fill in a 64-8 which is authorising a new agent. So still non the wiser please help
  • slackda
    Rachel wrote: Β»
    thanks but that is for on-line services where you need you agent number, I need to get to the part where you register as an agent. Just managed to call HMCE and they told me to fill in a 64-8 which is authorising a new agent. So still non the wiser please help

Sry i mis understood your first message, you said about filing electronically- hence the online registration, 64-8 details can be found here

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/workingtogether/agent-authorisation.htm
  • SarahS
    SarahS Registered Posts: 60 Regular contributor ⭐

Hi Rachel

I seem to recall I had to do this over the phone. I then had to wait for a few days before I received specific codes which enabled me act as agent for various services. I was then able to activate those services online.

It was a terribly long winded process! It sounds like you may have to get in touch with the original area/team that you spoke with to register.

Hope you manage to get it sorted.
  • Rachel
    Nothing seems to be working apart from I seem to be acquiring lots of reference nmbers all which seem to be useless.

Would anyone be so kind to write step by step instructions for registering as an agent?

Thanks
  • slackda
    What particular Service are you looking for CT/VAT/PA?

i think it differs slightly between each one, i remember when i registered i was sent a couple of sets of codes from the Government gateway service ,to enable me to logon one a registration number...on a nice shinney card and one a long hidden code (much like the pin numbers from your bank)....but was such a long time ago...
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    See here

https://online.hmrc.gov.uk/registration/agent

If not I would suggest just filling out a 64-8 when you have a client and you should get allocated a reference.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Rachel
    sarahs thanks at least i know i am not alone
    slackda just sa thanks for your help
    burg would that work? I am trying mainly to get a reference for that form.

Thanks all
  • slackda
    "Self Assessment Agent Reference Number
    Agents wishing to use the Self Assessment Online service for their clients must already be registered as an agent for Self Assessment with HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC). HMRC will have issued you with a 'Self-Assessment Agent Reference' that you must enter when registering for SA Online. " Quote from HMRC
  • Rachel
    Thanks I do have one but it doesn't work, I have called them and they were useless, I have now e-mailed them so maybe I will get a bit more help.

Thank you
  • slackda
    Thanks I do have one but it doesn't work, I have called them and they were useless, I have now e-mailed them so maybe I will get a bit more help.

Thank you

in that case, i would probably just apply for a new one.....if you get no luck with the email.
  • Rachel
    Thanks, I can't believe how complicated it seems.
  • burg
    It should work. Put your contact details on. Then if they can't match it to a reference they will call you.

It has been suggested on here before

Sorry 'should' call you
    Regards,

Burg
  • Anne Boleyn
    Anne Boleyn Registered Posts: 196 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Registering as an agent

Hi Rachel

I think I must have been lucky because it was very straightforward when I registered. However this was in 2007 and things may have gone downhill since then.

There is a person called the Agent Maintainer (some claim a mythical beast) but I have actually spoken to one. Anyway, this is the phone number for the one in Suffolk (or was) 0845 366 7824. She was very helpful and I'm sure if you haven't quite got things in the right order she'd be able to help. Hopefully the number is still correct....

I hope this helps.
  • burg

There is a person called the Agent Maintainer (some claim a mythical beast) but I have actually spoken to one.

Christ. Are you a HMRC VIP?!

They really do exist?
    Regards,

Burg
  • mc25
    mc25 Registered Posts: 232 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Rachel,

I had this problem a few months ago. The best approach will be to fill in a 64-8. Then they will send you your agent ref number. Without the agent reference number you cannot register anything online, anyway i tried for months with no luck. But after i completed the 64-8 and I had the reference number everything ws ok.

Good luck
  • Anne Boleyn
    Agent maintainer

Hi Burg

Just a fluke. Maybe they help every one millionth phone caller and I got lucky.

Regards
  • monkeypuzzle47
    monkeypuzzle47 Registered Posts: 134 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I REGISTERED AT THE GOVERMENT GATEWAY 4 YEARS AGO IF MY MEMORY SERVICES ME RIGHT

https://myaccount.gateway.gov.uk/RegisterOrLogon.aspx?gwcategory=agent&gwv=1.0&gwrealm=http://www.gateway.gov.uk/myaccount/2007/07&gwlang=en-GB&gwreply=http://www.gateway.gov.uk/Default.aspx

the link re registering as an agent. Then goverment gateway sends your id. then you need to activate that on hmrc website.
  • monkeypuzzle47
    that was suppose to read....memory serve me right, oops. its v late.yawn
  • monkeypuzzle47
    http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageVAT_ShowContent&id=HMCE_PROD_010687&propertyType=document

if it has been over 28 days since you registered your activation pin has most probably expired and you will need to repeat the process. ive found the link explaining see above.
  • Rachel
    Thanks all for your responses. I have now sent off a 64-8 with a post it with all my details on so hopefully that works.
    I have had a response to my e-mail telling me to call 0845 366 7837 which is a couple of digits different to the one Anne (thanks Anne btw) has given but looks in the same ball park. Anne I am in Cambridgeshire so not too far away.
    Thanks again and a biG grrrrrrrrrr to HMRC
  • deanshepherd
    deanshepherd Registered Posts: 1,809 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I have now sent off a 64-8 with a post it with all my details on so hopefully that works.

Why the post it?

There is a box for entering agent details on the 64-8 you know?!

If I recall correctly, when I set up on my own I submitted a 64-8 with my own details on and then called up HMRC a couple of weeks later and asked for the agent reference number.

64-8s are processed a lot quicker these days so you should be able to call up next week and get your reference.
  • Rachel
    I just added extra details eg my phone numbers and personal information etc. So hopefully there will be no problems
  • Thomasl1
    Thomasl1 Registered Posts: 43 Regular contributor ⭐
    I've had quite the runaround from HMRC myself. I contacted one centre, who gave me a seperate number. I then contacted that number and the person said I needed to speak with the CAAT Admin section, however he couldnt give me a number, only the address, so I had to write to them over a week ago. Ain't heard nothing since.
    Looks like I will be going down the 64-8 route.
  • Anne Boleyn
    CAA Team

Hi

If you want to speak to someone in the CAAT then this is the number 0845 9158 582. I used this number myself over the last couple of weeks so is still current.

Hope this helps.
  • Rachel
    Can you believe (probably yes) that they are still giving me th run around. Yes the number 0845 9158 582 is still current but you have to speak to a manager to get someone half helpful!
  • gregory
    gregory Registered Posts: 37 Regular contributor ⭐
    Do I need first find a client and then ask for registration as an agent or is it possible to register before You find your client? And also do I need register as a self-employed straightaway or after I get client and he will sign 64-8 form? I have few friends of mine who are very interested to having me as thier agent with thier SA and tax credits issues. I finish the AAT however still awaiting DFS and PCR results. I can't find a relevant phones numbers I could ring up and ask directly or is it just me? I live in Manchester area.
    Any help would be appreciate. Thanks
  • Rachel
    I would do it as soon as possible because it took me ages. For SA call the number above and for CT you have to call your local tax office (or at least I did anyway)
  • gregory
    I would do it as soon as possible because it took me ages. For SA call the number above and for CT you have to call your local tax office (or at least I did anyway)

Thank You Rachel will try that number but at the moment it is busy or noone answers it
  • gregory
    gregory wrote: Β»
    Thank You Rachel will try that number but at the moment it is busy or noone answers it

After long time ringing...got no answer and handset's battery has gone...

Though that kind of approach from public bodies happens only in Poland but now....
    I am going to send the 64-8 form anyway. There is afield to fill Agent's code but obviously dont have any of them yet so what then? Just send it as it is?
    Thanks for any advices
Privacy Policy