Unit 10

AK002
AK002 Registered Posts: 2,492 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
Right i know there are a lot of Unit 10 threads kicking about, but since this is made by the one and only me I hope you'll take the time to reply : - )!

Can whoever has done this report whilst working in Practice let me know what there topic was?

Really struggling to get a decent topic at the moment, and the Sim is not an option.

Everyone else in my class seems to have picked up on a topic almost instantly but they all work in Purchase Ledger etc jobs so only have one real role to improve.

Thanks
Jock ;)

Comments

• sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor 🐘
  • AK002
    :( Still no ideas!
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I did mine on improving someone's accounting system, they had come to us as new clients with books written up by hand and I put it all on excel.

That was enough to cover all the criteria when you added in all the controls that had to be put in too
  • AK002
    I've been told that i should, if possible do it based on my work as opposed to a clients....
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Surely that is your work though! It was to make doing the accounts easier.

You seem to have been given a fair number of restrictions!!!
  • sdv
    AK002

why don't you list your job description and we may be able to work on some ideas for your project?
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    AK002 wrote: Β»
    I've been told that i should, if possible do it based on my work as opposed to a clients....

Seems a bit strange as ive also done mine based on new client proceedure no problems with mine either
  • sdv
    I did mine on improving someone's accounting system, they had come to us as new clients with books written up by hand and I put it all on excel.

This is an excellent idea!

Is it not part of your job to help your clients to account properly and efficiently?
  • A-Vic
    Is there an part of your job that fustrates you and you feel is in need of improvement ?
  • loralu
    loralu Registered Posts: 64 Regular contributor ⭐
    i work in practice and did mine on a client who used a cash book and sage partly but my project was about getting them on sage entirely.
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Sorry for hijacking this thread, but I am working on (well trying to start with) unit 10, and my workplace is all supportive for doing the project on the new system, but everything I submit has to be read and checked by my line manager if there is no sensitive information in it.

I wrote a short introduction about the company and a weaknesses list on the current system and wanted to submit this to my tutor to see if she agreed I could do my project on this, so I send it to my line manager to get checked and after a week I got a reply.

I had to remove most of the weaknesses (I didn't list any numbers or sensitive information, just some general information about how the company deals with small things).

In the introduction I just wrote what the company did and how much we produced per month, but I had to remove the production numbers as well, since this was sensitive/ classified as well.

Does this sound familiar to anyone else?

I mean, I'm not being funny, but I just started rewriting the weaknesses list and luckily my line manager suggested a few points to add instead, so I didn't have to start over completely, but this simple list of weaknesses and the introduction, which wouldn't even get in my final report, but were just there to get my tutor to agree on the subject, I have to rewrite it and then my manager will want to read it again, before I can submit it.

After this, everything I write has to be checked, before I can send it to anyone to proofread, unless I ask my manager to proof read it. Since English isn't my first language I always ask my boyfriend or a friend to proof read letters etcetera if I'm not completely sure about the text.

Is it just me or is this overly protective of company information?
  • A-Vic
    Have you included this in the actual project under the legilties bit could be a good point to include under restrictions and limited access to information
  • rachelrunshaw
    rachelrunshaw Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Right i know there are a lot of Unit 10 threads kicking about, but since this is made by the one and only me I hope you'll take the time to reply : - )!

Can whoever has done this report whilst working in Practice let me know what there topic was?

Really struggling to get a decent topic at the moment, and the Sim is not an option.

Everyone else in my class seems to have picked up on a topic almost instantly but they all work in Purchase Ledger etc jobs so only have one real role to improve.

Thanks
    Jock ;)
    Hi Jock

I work in practice and have submitted my unit 10. I based mine on an electronic document storage and retrieval system to replace paper files and archives stored off site. A colleague has also just handed in his project, he chose the booking in system. Does your office have anything like this in place? I think his was a really good choice as you could go to town with it and it is something that you yourself could actually introduce into the office and see it simplify your processes.
  • AK002
    Surely that is your work though! It was to make doing the accounts easier.

You seem to have been given a fair number of restrictions!!!

Aye you're no wrong there!
    Hi Jock

I work in practice and have submitted my unit 10. I based mine on an electronic document storage and retrieval system to replace paper files and archives stored off site. A colleague has also just handed in his project, he chose the booking in system. Does your office have anything like this in place? I think his was a really good choice as you could go to town with it and it is something that you yourself could actually introduce into the office and see it simplify your processes.

Already got all accounts files scanned and book jobs in as they come in etc.

I've spoken again to my tutor and she's said I can use transferring a client from paper based to computer based.

I kinda felt like at the course i got brushed aside because i never had a topic and the tutor really helped the people that had ideas and helped them branch their ideas out n just kinda glossed passed me, when surely i should be the one getting more help, not having a topic to start with?

Ahwell...
  • rachelrunshaw
    rachelrunshaw Registered Posts: 41 Regular contributor ⭐
    Aye you're no wrong there!

Already got all accounts files scanned and book jobs in as they come in etc.

I've spoken again to my tutor and she's said I can use transferring a client from paper based to computer based.

I kinda felt like at the course i got brushed aside because i never had a topic and the tutor really helped the people that had ideas and helped them branch their ideas out n just kinda glossed passed me, when surely i should be the one getting more help, not having a topic to start with?

Ahwell...

Same here, my tutor did say that is often hardest for people working in practice to choose a topic because by the very nature of the business they have accounting systems that have to work already in place.
    Just another thought though, do you have specific roles on top of your normal workload? Say for example someone does the VAT returns for all the clients, someone else checks accounts have been filed, someone else is in charge of issuing engagement letters? Not really meaty enough on their own, but if you combined a few it could work. Getting clients to change their record keeping does seem a popular choice and is unlikely to raise any confidentiality issues as personal details can be easily changed.

Good luck with it anyway
    Rachel
Privacy Policy