New Standards Diploma

A-Vic
A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
Hi All

I currently have just two units left to complete under the old standards as i have DFS PTC Unit 10 Ethics all apart from MAC and BTC if i was to transfer to the new qualifaction does anyone know what units i would have to complete that route???

Thanks in advance

Vic

Comments

• A-Vic
    so under the new qualifaction i wouldnt have to do business tax just

- Budgeting
    - Financial Performance

thanks jaffas :)
  • A-Vic
    thats what i was getting confused with
  • A-Vic
    the reason i ask is i was told by college i still need MAC and BTC

i currently have

level 3

D/103/6448 Operating cash management & credit control Skills-Test 29/04/2009
    R/103/6446 Financial accounting Exam 18/02/2009
    Y/103/6447 Recording & analysing costs & revenues Exam 18/08/2009
    L/103/6445 Accounting Work Skills Skills-Test 30/06/2008
    H/103/6449 Professional ethics for acctng technicians Skills-Test 29/04/2009

level 4

H/103/6452 Management of systems & people Skills-Test 21/06/2010
    Y/103/6450 Drafting Financial Statements Exam 16/02/2010
    T/103/6455 Preparing Personal Taxation Computations Exam 16/02/2010

so do i just need MAC or do i need BTC as well to finish old standards also
  • sdv
    sdv Registered Posts: 585 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    the reason i ask is i was told by college i still need MAC and BTC

i currently have

level 3

D/103/6448 Operating cash management & credit control Skills-Test 29/04/2009
    R/103/6446 Financial accounting Exam 18/02/2009
    Y/103/6447 Recording & analysing costs & revenues Exam 18/08/2009
    L/103/6445 Accounting Work Skills Skills-Test 30/06/2008

level 4

H/103/6452 Management of systems & people Skills-Test 21/06/2010
    Y/103/6450 Drafting Financial Statements Exam 16/02/2010
    T/103/6455 Preparing Personal Taxation Computations Exam 16/02/2010

so do i just need MAC or do i need BTC as well to finish old standards also

To acheive Level 4 under 2010 standards, you are required to complete

4 Compulsory Units

Financial Statement (old DFS) - acheived
    Internal Control & acc systems (old project) - Acheived
    Budgeting (old PEV & Old PCR or MAC)
    Financial performance (old PEV & Old PCR or MAC)

2 Optional Units

Personal Tax (old personal tax) -Acheived
    Business Tax (old business tax)
    Credit Management (Old CMCC) - Acheived - at Level 3
    External Audititing (Old Auditing)

Under the new the standards you are only required to complete Budgeting and Financial Performance.

BUT if you were to attempt MAC exam in december and acheive it, then you will get full exemptions from both Budgeting and Financial performance, giving you a full level 4 qualification under the new standards.

If you want to complete the level 4 qualification under the old standard you are required to complete both MAC and BTC

Conclusion

Do not convert to the new standard yet and complete MAC under old standard.

having passed MAC then convert to new standard and you will acheive the level4 qualification without completing BTC.
  • A-Vic
    Great thanks sdv thats what i was thinking, now just going to focus on MAC for the next sitting and see from there but it takes the pressure off a great deal.
  • A-Vic
    Well according to AAT i still have to sit BTC under the new standards as i still need two optional units ???????
  • A-Vic
    now on the phone with bpp and they say i dont have to sit BTC as i have unit 15 for the love of god will someone tell me grrrrr
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    I think its because Unit 15 is now an optional topic for Level 4 and you already have it but I think you may have to still do 2 topics ie Budgeting and Finacial reporting which is kind of like MAC.
    I am in a similar position but as I have bought the materials for this standard I am going to try to complete it on this standard and there are of course all the past papers.

Either way you still have to do 2 units
    but in the new assessement you can do it as a CBT so are not limited to exams in Dec or June
    if you stick with the old then you have to do 2 exams and are limited to DEc and June and that is it

I am doing MAC and DFS in Dec so if I fail then I can redo them in June.

Hope you eventually get a clear answer this is my take on it anyway

HTH
    K
  • A-Vic
    yes i know i have to complete mac but i do have personal tax and unit 15 DFS Unit 10 (unit 15 as shown as optional unit on new standards) but now it seems i need a third under the new standards (unit 15 is advanced certificate).

I dont know what it is i need under the new standards but a tutor from BPP hopefully will be contacting me over the next few days and hopefully it will be cleared up.

\if i do have to sit BTC fair enough just a clear yes or no would be good
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Do MAC under old standards, then transfer and you'll be done. The Unit 15 you did at Level 3 will definately count as one of your options under the new standards so you'll have done the 2 options.
  • A-Vic
    coojee wrote: ยป
    Do MAC under old standards, then transfer and you'll be done. The Unit 15 you did at Level 3 will definately count as one of your options under the new standards so you'll have done the 2 options.

Thanks Coojee.

Just going to sit mac as planned and try not to get as stressed and focus on the exam worry later.
  • A-Vic
    Ok last post about this just had a call from a lovely woman at BPP who also contacted the AAT for me and told me because i have unit 15 and if i do manage complete MAC i will not have to complete another optional unit and will qualify
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Ok last post about this just had a call from a lovely woman at BPP who also contacted the AAT for me and told me because i have unit 15 and if i do manage complete MAC i will not have to complete another optional unit and will qualify

That's great news and less of the 'if I do manage to complete MAC'!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    This seems bad to me. If that is the case the AAT should have informed everyone that is already doing the Diploma Route that if they converted they would qualify without having to do BTC. I am booked in for doing the exam in November but am now wondering if all the stress in studying for it is worth it if I dont even need it to qualify! :mad:
  • JaffasGirl
    JaffasGirl Registered Posts: 387 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    This seems bad to me. If that is the case the AAT should have informed everyone that is already doing the Diploma Route that if they converted they would qualify without having to do BTC. I am booked in for doing the exam in November but am now wondering if all the stress in studying for it is worth it if I dont even need it to qualify! :mad:

In all honesty, the whole of the change over has been handled appallingly. I waited to start the new QCF framework, so that i didnt have to worry about switching over/not finishing parts that were later not needed. I ordered the first unit on the 1st July, and i only received the last bit of the paperwork on the 13th September. most of the other units are not ready yet and are 'expecting them in the next 7 days' considering this is what i was told when i ordered my first unit, i think i'll wait till it is actually ready!!
  • A-Vic
    jilt wrote: ยป
    That's great news and less of the 'if I do manage to complete MAC'!

i guess thats me told lol

Now you lot know ho i love to complicate things (yes i do honest lol) i have a chance of a new job in newcastle start date 1st november so now where the heck do i book exams :lol:
  • coojee

To be fair, it's providers who should have been informing affected students as soon as they became aware of the issue, it's not really up to the AAT to be doing this. They've provided all the information required for people to work it out for themselves. It's your provider you should be taking it up with.

For people who don't have a provider and are doing it off their own back, maybe you can see why a provider can sometimes be helpful.
  • A-Vic
    To be fair, it's providers who should have been informing affected students as soon as they became aware of the issue, it's not really up to the AAT to be doing this. They've provided all the information required for people to work it out for themselves. It's your provider you should be taking it up with.

For people who don't have a provider and are doing it off their own back, maybe you can see why a provider can sometimes be helpful.

But coojee i am now home study and not with any providers and so then who tells us????

Also when i did contact the AAT even they didnt know and it took me contacting the providers to get an answer even went to the trouble to ring me back when they have no obligation too!

I was with a college but was told they had switched to the new qualifaction and quoted over ยฃ600 for two units and most of the other providers were also switching to the new one. So no it isnt as simple as just finding a new provider hmmmmm

There are a lot of us that dont have the luxary of been trained and cant afford it so a sweeping statement like your last sentance could do with been adjusted slightly

and yes it is the AAT that need to inform us they set the standards and exams
  • jewels.p
    I have just had an email back from my tutor and it is definitely right and he said that if I pass MAC in Nov then I dont need BTC to qualify if I then convert!

He might of told me that before I booked the exam! :mad:
  • pirate
    pirate Registered Posts: 469 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    what a mess, its ridiculous, my sister is on the NVQ and has switched tothe new pathway and basically doesnt need to do the professional ethics paper at all, as she has done all of Level 3
    As for me I was told to stick with the orginal one and do BTC and PTC in the June 2010 exam and do MAC and DFS in Dec, then work on my project and Prof Ethics, now I am being told its too much and I might not complete it honestly sometimes grrr

Is there a way you can convert the BTC exam to MAC and get a credit for the payment you made for BTC to use for the other exam?
  • jewels.p
    pirate wrote: ยป
    what a mess, its ridiculous, my sister is on the NVQ and has switched tothe new pathway and basically doesnt need to do the professional ethics paper at all, as she has done all of Level 3
    As for me I was told to stick with the orginal one and do BTC and PTC in the June 2010 exam and do MAC and DFS in Dec, then work on my project and Prof Ethics, now I am being told its too much and I might not complete it honestly sometimes grrr

Is there a way you can convert the BTC exam to MAC and get a credit for the payment you made for BTC to use for the other exam?

I have paid for them both!
  • coojee
    But coojee i am now home study and not with any providers and so then who tells us????

Also when i did contact the AAT even they didnt know and it took me contacting the providers to get an answer even went to the trouble to ring me back when they have no obligation too!

I was with a college but was told they had switched to the new qualifaction and quoted over ยฃ600 for two units and most of the other providers were also switching to the new one. So no it isnt as simple as just finding a new provider hmmmmm

There are a lot of us that dont have the luxary of been trained and cant afford it so a sweeping statement like your last sentance could do with been adjusted slightly

and yes it is the AAT that need to inform us they set the standards and exams

Well it's not really a sweeping statement, I'm just saying that a good provider sometimes has their uses. The fact that some providers haven't told their students about it could be an indication that they're not a very good provider.
  • A-Vic
    Well it's not really a sweeping statement, I'm just saying that a good provider sometimes has their uses. The fact that some providers haven't told their students about it could be an indication that they're not a very good provider.

but wouldnt you say that is down to the AAT not providing the information because they didnt know?
  • coojee
    but wouldnt you say that is down to the AAT not providing the information because they didnt know?

The AAT did provide the information and it was down to the providers and students to interpret it. The AAT provided information regarding the transitional arrangements, in there it says that if a student has Unit 15 then they're exempt cash management at Level 3 and credit control at Level 4. Admittedly you do have to put 2 and 2 together to get there, the AAT haven't spelt it out. But neither have they specifically told people not to do Unit 32 at Level 3 if they think they won't complete the level before the end of June because it doesn't give any exemptions under the new standards. That's also been left for people to work out for themselves.

The AAT qual is a professional qualification and professionals are expected to take responsibility for their own learning, therefore the AAT expects students to read all the information given to them and work out for themselves what is required of them.
  • A-Vic
    We are now going round in circles but if you read back you will see even the AAT didnt know that unit 15 gave you an exemption in the new qualifaction for the optional units so if they didnt know how are the providers ment to know seeing as they are advised and yet again as already said how are external students ment to know.

The AAT take our fees for exams and membership and yes this does give them the responsibility to provide true and correct information in regards to the qualifaction.

And no my ex college didnt know about it either as i have been told tonight.
  • coojee
    We are now going round in circles but if you read back you will see even the AAT didnt know that unit 15 gave you an exemption in the new qualifaction for the optional units so if they didnt know how are the providers ment to know seeing as they are advised and yet again as already said how are external students ment to know.

The AAT take our fees for exams and membership and yes this does give them the responsibility to provide true and correct information in regards to the qualifaction.

And no my ex college didnt know about it either as i have been told tonight.

The person you spoke to at the AAT may not have known but it doesn't necessarily follow that the whole of the AAT didn't know. It's not uncommon (in fact it's quite common) for the person on the end of the phone at the AAT to not have a clue what they're talking about.

The transitional arrangements have been available for everyone to read for months now so there's really no excuse for people not to know things like this. I'd give a link to the document but I don't think I can do that from a MyAAT account.

I'm not sure what you expected the AAT to do about this. Should they have gone through all students records to find who they think may be affected and write to them individually? Or write to all students saying "We've already told you this but just in case you hadn't read it properly then if you've done Level 3 Diploma route and therefore already got Unit 15 you won't need to do 2 options at Level 4"

I suspect what's happened with this unit is that no one at the AAT realised what effect it would have on Diploma students so they were unprepared for when students started ringing them up asking about it. Now that is a failing on the AAT's part. But as for informing everyone, I still maintain that the information was there for anyone who wanted to read it.

And why I'm sticking up for the AAT I have no idea!
  • A-Vic

I suspect what's happened with this unit is that no one at the AAT realised what effect it would have on Diploma students so they were unprepared for when students started ringing them up asking about it. Now that is a failing on the AAT's part.

At least we agree on one thing
Privacy Policy