Anyone ever had pleurisy?

jilt
jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
I thought it was muscular but my colleagues seem to think I may have pleurisy, anyone ever had it?
ยซ1

Comments

• *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Twice!

1st time I had so much pain in my lowish back I couldnt bear to stand sit etc. Ended up rolling about on my bed in agony and a doctor being called who gave me morphine they thought it may be kidneys. I'd been coughing up greenish gunk too. Eventually diagnosed.

2nd time I relised what the symptons were before they hit that hard and went and got antibotics really quick.

Get it checked out. Better to go the doctors and have them say muscular than suffer. I was a smoker back then so didnt help and im asthmatic too.
  • jilt
    I've got an appointment at the docs in the morning, thought I may as well let the doctor check me out first before I pay the chiropractor ยฃ28.
  • *Jo
    jilt wrote: ยป
    I've got an appointment at the docs in the morning, thought I may as well let the doctor check me out first before I pay the chiropractor ยฃ28.

Best way, without completing years of training its best you get your doctor to sort you out. They can refer you to physio too if need be if it is muscular. Fingers crossed whatever you have it gets sorted soon. :)
  • jilt
    Thanks Jo I'll let you know the verdict. I don't go the doctors very often, last time I remember going was September last year, in fact they've moved premises since I last went and I didn't know!
  • jewels.p
    jewels.p Registered Posts: 1,774 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Shows how much I know I thought it was a tropical disease! :laugh:

Sorry Jill it not a laughing matter you poor thing. You have my sympathy.
  • steveJ
    steveJ Registered Posts: 694 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I thought it was some sort of Gum disease !!!
  • jilt
    Shows how much I know I thought it was a tropical disease!

steveJ wrote: ยป
    I thought it was some sort of Gum disease !!!

:lol: Well I didn't know much about it myself but I knew it affected the lungs.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I thought pleurisy was fluid round the lungs/heart as that was what I was in hospital with earlier this year (along with pneumonia).
  • jilt
    I thought pleurisy was fluid round the lungs/heart as that was what I was in hospital with earlier this year (along with pneumonia).

Ooh poor you. Yes it's imflamation of the pleura together with fluid, the pleura being the lining of the pleural cavity surrounding the lungs.
  • jewels.p
    Ooh poor you. Yes it's imflamation of the pleura together with fluid, the pleura being the lining of the pleural cavity surrounding the lungs.

Yip Jill's Googled it! :lol:
  • CJC
    CJC Registered Posts: 1,657 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    *Jo wrote: ยป
    Best way, without completing years of training its best you get your doctor to sort you out. They can refer you to physio too if need be if it is muscular. Fingers crossed whatever you have it gets sorted soon. :)

Indeed, why shell out money to a quack when there are properly qualified doctors and physios you can see for free.
  • jilt
    Been the doctors and the good news is I haven't got pleurisy, the bad news is I've got to go for a chest xray and an ECG. Deep joy!
  • jewels.p
    Dont worry too much they just have to rule everything out.
  • jilt
    I'm ok about it jewels I think she's sending as a precaution because of family history, and because my blood pressure was high which I more concerned about. If I have another high reading she's threatened to put me on medication and I'm gonna do all I can to prevent that. She told me to make an appointment for a futher reading with the nurse in a week's time, when I tried to book one they couldn't get me in until the week after!! You have to laugh don't you
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    sorry to hear you're not feeling 100% Jill, hope you feel better soon *hugs*
  • jilt
    sorry to hear you're not feeling 100% Jill, hope you feel better soon *hugs*

Thanks hun, actually I now know what's wrong with me, well subject to my chiropractor confirming in the morning but he thinks I have a costo-transverse sprain afting taliking to me. I was looking on google for the different types of muscles found in the back and around the ribs and came across a site abour rib pain, here's some of the extracts from that site which describe exactly what I've been experiencing

'If you have had a fall and actually sustained a fracture it is easy to understand and accept why the pain is there. But if you have sustained a, so called, costo-transverse sprain, which often does not relate to any major trauma, it is much more disconcerting and people often think they are suffering a heart or lung problem.

One condition that is often mistaken for a costo-transverse sprain is pleurisy.There are similarities in symptoms such as pain on taking a breath, coughing and chest movement. It not only causes pain in the rib cage, it can also be felt deep inside the chest simulating pain from the heart, lungs, stomach and food pipe (oseophagus or gullet).'

And my chiropractor agreed it can be very very painful, god I've never been so pleased to have a diagnosis! My blood pressure was probably high cos I was in pain and a bit worried.
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Oh wow, that still sounds unpleasant but a better diagnosis I think!
    Did he tell you how long it will take to feel better?
  • jilt
    Apparently it usually only takes a few sessions but he's not promising anything!
  • *Jo
    Pleased to hear its not pleurisy but sorry to hear your still poorly.

I would still personally go down the gp route rather than hand over hard earned cash to someone who may not be most concerned for your best interests over invoicing you.

Hope it sorts out soon.
  • jilt
    Have seen my chiropractor this morning and yes I do have a costo-transverse sprain. The best way of describing it apparently is a rib in my back is slightly out of line, it's not dislocated but the muscles around it react to protect it rom disclocation and go into spasms which is why the pain is felt at the front of the chest as well.

Simple when you know how! lol
  • jewels.p
    So what happens now you poor wee lamb? :sad:
  • jilt
    Oh no I don't want to sound like a whinger! This morning's treatment consisted of a mixture of massage, manipulation and some tapping from a type of gun that sounded like a staple gun! lol followed by some pain relief freeze gel.

He said it would be quite sore for 24 hours but would then improve daily and if I apply ice will heal even quicker, have you ever tried to balance ice on your back? Some painkillers and a glass of wine and I'll be fine. I'm back on Monday to see how much it's improved, he thinks that may be my last session, he's an absolute genius!!
  • Sparkly
    Sparkly Registered Posts: 139 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hi Jill I hope you're feeling on the mend now.

It's scary when you get that kind of pain and don't know what it is. About a month ago I suffered something similar. I suddenly had a really bad pain in the left side of my chest, which hurt like anything every time I breathed and got worse as the day went on. After the pain waking me up in the night, I ventured to the local hospital as I was scared it was something serious, I swear they thought I was making it up! In the end I went for a chest x ray and all came back clear. My GP said it sound like it was purely muscular and nothing to worry about. A couple of days later the penny droppped - I'd recently started working in a pub in the evenings and I think it was caused by the action of pulling the real ale pumps!! - using muscles that don't normally get used! I swapped sides for a couple of weeks and all is fine now. I laugh about it now but it hurt like anything, hurt to even roll over in bed!
    I wish you well with the treatment :)
  • jilt
    I'm fine thanks Sparkly, sorry to hear about your recent scare although I have to admit it made me smile. Getting comfortable in bed is a big problem yes. I think one problem we have with pain is that we can't always pintpoint exactly where it's coming from. Also our wonderfull bodies have the added the concept of referred pain, where there is a problem in one part of the body but pain is felt elsewhere. For instance my strain is in my right back but most of the pain I'm feeling at the moment is side/front left!

Hubby is cooking us a gourmet meal tonight to cheer me up, think I might have to milk this for a few more days :lol:
  • jewels.p
    OK we've discovered what pleurisy really is in this post so what really is a gourmet meal then?.............just waiting on someone saying that you don't get such a thing in Scotland!
  • jilt
    OK we've discovered what pleurisy really is in this post so what really is a gourmet meal then?.............just waiting on someone saying that you don't get such a thing in Scotland!

:lol: well my gourmet meal is figs and prosciutto for starter, and goose breast for main.
  • jewels.p
    :lol: well my gourmet meal is figs and prosciutto for starter, and goose breast for main.

How was the meal Jill?

A Gourmet meal for me is Haggis, Neeps and Tatties followed by Clootie Dumpling & Custard! lol
  • jilt
    How was the meal Jill?

A Gourmet meal for me is Haggis, Neeps and Tatties followed by Clootie Dumpling & Custard! lol

It was really good thanks, I particularly enjoyed the figs. Problem is I've now got a cold and I always have a bigger appetite. Me thinks I'll have tight trousers by Monday! lol
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    wana lodger???
  • jilt
    A-Vic wrote: ยป
    wana lodger???

You might as well, we've all got dregs of cold! lol As long as we don't have to watch Xfactor!!
Privacy Policy