How do you answer?

jackieshep
jackieshep Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor โญ
I would be interested to know what AAT members say when people ask you what you do for a living. We're not book keepers, but we're not accountants either, and to say you are an accounting technician outside the accounting profession you are met with blank looks!

I am self employed working for two companies and give myself the title Accounts Manager.
ยซ134

Comments

• Fireraiser
    Fireraiser Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    You're perfectly entitled to call yourself an accountant, just not a chartered accountant. As I understand it, anyone can call themselves an accountant even with no qualifications nor experience
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I call myself an Accountant. As Fireraiser says we are perfectly entitled to call ourselves accountants as it isn't a protected term (even someone unqualified can call themselves an accountant but that's another whole debate).
    Regards,

Burg
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I would be interested to know what AAT members say when people ask you what you do for a living. We're not book keepers, but we're not accountants either,

I'm an accountant :)

What you are depends on what you actually do in your job. Some MAATs are bookkeepers, some are accounts technicians, some are accountants.

Remember, anyone can call themselves an accountant, it's not a protected term, and many of us are accountants by virtue of what we do every day.

With regards the actual question of what do I do, I say I run an accountancy practice, because I spend more time being a manager and running the show than doing technical work.
  • MoneySavingBank
    MoneySavingBank Registered Posts: 143 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Does it mean Certified Accountants?

Hi,

We are not CA. But as a Qualified Professional in AAT, can we say we are certified accountants? I am not sure but if a client ask you

Q. Are you a Qualified Accountant?
    A. We can reply "YES" We are qualified accountant (from AAT)?

But if somebody ask us

Q. Are you CA or Certified Accountants?
    A. ........................................................

What would be your answers? How do you answer this best in your own way? I find little difficult answering this.

Many Thanks,

MSB
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Certified is just another work for qualified, so it should be ok for an MAAT to use that. Downside is you might get a few puzzled looks and "is that the same as chartered?" questions.
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Why not just say you're an AAT qualified accountant, or an Accounting Technician?

I'm not sure 'certified' accountant is appropriate. This may inappropriately indicate you are ACCA qualified.

Kind regards
    Steve
  • PGM
    Why not just say you're an AAT qualified accountant, or an Accounting Technician?

I'm not sure 'certified' accountant is appropriate. This may inappropriately indicate you are ACCA qualified.

Kind regards
    Steve

I agree, I don't get asked very often but when I do I just say accountant.

Still a little disapointed AAT couldn't think of something better than technician, makes me feel like I'm a mechanic!
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I agree with Steve to the 'Certified Accountant' issue. You may be opening yourself up to trouble.

I just point out I'm an accountant with the AAT and in the unlikely event that someone asks it's usually along the lines of how does this compare to a chartered accountant.

In my case as the only difference is that I cannot perform audits (not relevant to my target clients) and I cannot undertake insolvency work (which most (hopefully all) don't want to be in this position anyway).
    Regards,

Burg
  • Monsoon
    PGM wrote: ยป
    Still a little disapointed AAT couldn't think of something better than technician, makes me feel like I'm a mechanic!

+1
  • anniem
    anniem Registered Posts: 1,326 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I say I'm an accountant ...

..... although today I've just downloaded VT Final Accounts and am experimenting with my first set of company accounts and I feel very thick - it's not like doing spreadsheet ETB and I feel a bit out of my depth ........ aaaaaaargh!
    FMAAT - AAT Licensed Member in Practice - Pewsey, Wiltshire
  • anniem
    ..... now sitting here wondering if I can go on a course?
  • jackieshep
    jackieshep Registered Posts: 68 Regular contributor โญ
    An AAT qualified Accountant sounds like a good answer to me Steve, I must admit I don't like being an "Accounting Technician" it sounds like a fancy title to a non skilled job, like a politically correct term for dustmen (no offence to dustmen of course).
  • Monsoon
    An AAT qualified Accountant sounds like a good answer to me Steve, I must admit I don't like being an "Accounting Technician" it sounds like a fancy title to a non skilled job, like a politically correct term for dustmen (no offence to dustmen of course).

+1 to that, too.
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜

Kind regards
    Steve

Yes, thank you. An AAT is most definately not a Certified Accountant.
  • MoneySavingBank
    Qualified Acountant with Practicing Licence but I don't do Audit

From all the above discussions, I think the best answer would be "I am a Qualified Acountant with Practicing Licence but I don't do Audit (If they ask about Audit)" If they ask further about the Professional Body then we can tell them about AAT.

What do you think?...

As a client would you like my answer?

Ta
  • Steve Collings
    Steve Collings Registered Posts: 997 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    From all the above discussions, I think the best answer would be "I am a Qualified Acountant with Practicing Licence but I don't do Audit (If they ask about Audit)" If they ask further about the Professional Body then we can tell them about AAT.

What do you think?...

As a client would you like my answer?

Ta

With all due respect, I am at a loss as to why this issue causes such outcry. Does it really matter as long as you don't refer to yourself as a chartered or chartered certified accountant? If Jo Public can call themselves an accountant, then why not just call yourself an AAT Accountant, without some long-winded blurb justifying what AAT is or is not. If you're asked to do an audit, say you can't and refer them to a CCAB qualified.

It would make life much simpler!!

Best wishes
    Steve
  • bumblebee
    bumblebee Registered Posts: 135 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Agree with Steve. Why do AAT qualified need to clarify and differentiate with other qualifications? As AAT qualified we are aware of what we can offer and that should be made aware. I am obliged to call myself an 'Accountant'.
  • MoneySavingBank
    Agree!

Steve,

I agree with you. But some people are really confused about this. They ask this question when you say you are an AAT Accountant they become even more confused.

I am sorry if I am making this a big issue. All I am trying to do is getting well equiped to answer this question properly.

Many thanks for your reply.

Kind Regards,

MSB
  • anniem
    If you just say accountant, most people just say 'oh' and switch off 'like they wish-they-hadn't-asked-in-the-first-place'!!!!!

Like Steve says, what's the fuss?

The only people who are really interested in exactly what level of accountant you are are actually only other accountants - to see if you are cleverer than them, nothing more!

I don't think it's worth getting your knickers in a twist over :lol:
  • Monsoon
    Commonly asked questions:

Q: Are you a qualified accountant?
    A: Yes.

Q: Are you a chartered accountant?
    A: No, I'm an AAT accountant
    Q: What's that then?
    A: It's a non-chartered accountancy qualification. It qualifies me to do everything you need. The only thing I can't do is Audit and only big businesses need those.

Q: What qualifications do you have?
    A: AAT
    Q: What's that then?
    A: See above.
  • anniem
    commonly asked questions:

Q: Are you a qualified accountant?
    A: Yes.

Q: Are you a chartered accountant?
    A: No, i'm an aat accountant
    q: What's that then?
    A: It's a non-chartered accountancy qualification. It qualifies me to do everything you need. The only thing i can't do is audit and only big businesses need those.

Q: What qualifications do you have?
    A: Aat
    q: What's that then?
    A: See above.

love it!
  • T.C.
    T.C. Registered, Tutor Posts: 1,448 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I am an Accountant....and a property developer....and an Avon lady - and proud of it!
  • A-Vic
    A-Vic Registered Posts: 6,970 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Practise adminstrator, trainee accountant and general dogsbody :lol:
  • anniem
    I can make a nice cup of coffee ..... anyone want one? I'll go and put the kettle on then!
  • bumblebee
    Chartered v AAT

I think 'Chartered' is more dominated word for people who are in search of an accountant and most people in general think that only CA can be the right accountant for them (I dont think they are aware what the difference is really). We need to address the 'power of AAT qualified accountant'.
  • bumblebee
    anniem wrote: ยป
    I can make a nice cup of coffee ..... anyone want one? I'll go and put the kettle on then!

Could do with one...
  • PGM
    I think 'Chartered' is more dominated word for people who are in search of an accountant and most people in general think that only CA can be the right accountant for them (I dont think they are aware what the difference is really). We need to address the 'power of AAT qualified accountant'.

When I say I'm an accountant I rarely get asked if I'm chartered. Although if the coversation does go that way, chartered is the only term they know. (Generally speaking outside the accountancy world)
    With all due respect, I am at a loss as to why this issue causes such outcry. Does it really matter as long as you don't refer to yourself as a chartered or chartered certified accountant? If Jo Public can call themselves an accountant, then why not just call yourself an AAT Accountant, without some long-winded blurb justifying what AAT is or is not. If you're asked to do an audit, say you can't and refer them to a CCAB qualified.

It would make life much simpler!!

Best wishes
    Steve

This issue does keep coming up. I suppose because AAT doesn't give you much of an alternative to what unqualified accountants call themselves, with the only universally known term being "Chartered".

Does it matter? Only the lack of recognition you get from having the AAT qualification. I've found a total lack of awareness to the AAT brand outside of accountancy circles. Which is a real shame because I know the qualification is worth more than that!
  • bumblebee
    Fully agree with you PGM. AAT achievement should be more popularised.
  • Monsoon
    We spoke to an AAT student today (technician level) who thought she had to go on to ACA/ACCA to be able to do what we do. She didn't know AAT qualifies you to do accountancy. She was surprised that I was only AAT! I couldn't believe it. Why are colleges not telling their students that they are training them to be accountants not simply bookkeepers?!?!?!?!
  • Fireraiser
    Fireraiser Registered Posts: 91 Regular contributor โญ
    We spoke to an AAT student today (technician level) who thought she had to go on to ACA/ACCA to be able to do what we do. She didn't know AAT qualifies you to do accountancy. She was surprised that I was only AAT! I couldn't believe it. Why are colleges not telling their students that they are training them to be accountants not simply bookkeepers?!?!?!?!

There's quite a bit that the colleges etc don't tell their students. I started studying after taking redundancy and talking to my local careers service. They arranged ReAct funding for me and put me in touch with my college to enrol. Neither made it clear that even if I passed everything, I couldn't get MAAT without work experience. I didn't find this out until after I joined AAT as a student member just in time to register for my exams. I was lucky in that I'd found finance related work in the meantime. Most of my classmates weren't so lucky. If there's one piece of advice I'd give all students is to join AAT as a student member at the first opportunity, not the last as we were encouraged to do - it's a mine of useful information (including these forums)

Oooo - I've digressed a bit - sorry
Privacy Policy