Unit 10

keane155
keane155 Registered Posts: 404 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on my unit 10 and I am not really sure where I am going with it. I have chosen to do it on the case study and have chosen the sales ledger. Where I am doing a review of the accounting system am I supposed to just review the sales ledger or the whole accounts system? I am thinking that the whole system would be easier as I don't think I would be able to write 4000 words on just one ledger.

I really don't like unit 10 at the moment and would prefer to be revising for my exam on Friday. :(

Thanks,

Emma

Comments

• Nikdoug
    Nikdoug Registered Posts: 69 Regular contributor ⭐
    Hi Emma

I also did a case study and based mine on the credit sales system. When reviewing the system i looked at the process from the sales order being taken right through to recording the payment from the customer. I looked at things like how the order is recorded, stock control (also looked at this for fraud), the raising and recording of invoices, recording receipts on the customers account etc. Any checks, if any, made on potential customers. I looked at the computer system which was old dragging down the credit sales system (aswell as the rest).

I hope that gives you something to start with.

Nick
  • keane155
    Hi Nick,

Thank you very much for that, it gives me something to think about and is really helpful. :)

I'll give the project another go tomorrow.

Thanks,

Enmma
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Emma,

If you are writing specific on the sales ledger system (and this is approved by your centre as a good subject and not too small) you would write the review on just the sales ledger system as well. Like Nick said though, you can add a whole lot that is related in it, but keep it on the sales ledger subject. Don't go writing about the purchase ledger for example if you don't want to write suggestions on that.
  • SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    Unit 10
    keane155 wrote: Β»
    Hi,

I'm a bit stuck on my unit 10 and I am not really sure where I am going with it. I have chosen to do it on the case study and have chosen the sales ledger. Where I am doing a review of the accounting system am I supposed to just review the sales ledger or the whole accounts system? I am thinking that the whole system would be easier as I don't think I would be able to write 4000 words on just one ledger.

I really don't like unit 10 at the moment and would prefer to be revising for my exam on Friday. :(

Thanks,

Emma

HI Emma

I have been in the same position as you, not sure what I should be analysing and what sort of headings I should be using. My tutor told me that I should analyse the whole accounting system, using the SWOT analysis then write about the area I have chosen when I do the recommendations. She also told me that if I had any doubts/problems I was quite welcome to email her between classes, I'm sure Julia would let you email her, if you need clarification, she's lovely.

Sue
  • keane155
    Rinske wrote: Β»
    Hi Emma,

If you are writing specific on the sales ledger system (and this is approved by your centre as a good subject and not too small) you would write the review on just the sales ledger system as well. Like Nick said though, you can add a whole lot that is related in it, but keep it on the sales ledger subject. Don't go writing about the purchase ledger for example if you don't want to write suggestions on that.

Thanks Rinske I'll try and do that, I suppose like Nick said there are a lot of different areas that can be included and related to the sales ledger side - I think once I start looking into all of the different areas related to sales ledger it should be a bit easier hopefully.
  • keane155
    HI Emma

I have been in the same position as you, not sure what I should be analysing and what sort of headings I should be using. My tutor told me that I should analyse the whole accounting system, using the SWOT analysis then write about the area I have chosen when I do the recommendations. She also told me that if I had any doubts/problems I was quite welcome to email her between classes, I'm sure Julia would let you email her, if you need clarification, she's lovely.

Sue

Hi Sue,

I'm just panicking about everything now I think, I'm really dreading the exam on Friday - I don't know why though because my revision is going quite well and I am able to answer past exam questions, I think there is just so much that can come up and we've been preparing for the exam for what seems like forever!

I have college tomorrow night so I suppose I can speak to Julia then...I am just hoping I heard her correctly when she said we can have an extra week to get our first draft completed. How are you doing with yours? Do you have until next week? I just want to get Friday out of the way then do the report all weekend and hopefully get it completed.

Emma
  • NO BUSINESS CASE
    NO BUSINESS CASE Registered Posts: 85 Regular contributor ⭐
    Not really part of this thread but it is unit 10 themed.

I cant get away from the feeling that BPP are basically writing my case study for me. I have put in my management of people section 5/6 times and each time BPP have asked me to change the report.

In my view the original report I submitted needed a little tweaking and to copy some of their layout to make it a little more professional.

I am also having a running argument with them about delegation issues. Basically one of the main problems with my case study company is they don't delegate as the staff they have are not qualified to take on certain tasks and yet I am supposed to make some things up to show delegation in action within the company and as you can imagine with it being a case study they dont just say 'Mr Smith delegates the cheque paying in to Ms Jones'

My interpretation of what knowledge and understanding that I need to show is that I show just that, that I am aware of the 'principles of supervision and delegation' which is pretty straighforward really!!!!

I have made the changes as recommended so far but am standing my ground on the above issue otherwise Unit 10 for me is just a complete waste of my time and means absolutely nothing and is basically a wasted unit !!!

.....phew feel a little better now I have got that of my chest!
  • SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    keane155 wrote: Β»
    Hi Sue,

I'm just panicking about everything now I think, I'm really dreading the exam on Friday - I don't know why though because my revision is going quite well and I am able to answer past exam questions, I think there is just so much that can come up and we've been preparing for the exam for what seems like forever!

I have college tomorrow night so I suppose I can speak to Julia then...I am just hoping I heard her correctly when she said we can have an extra week to get our first draft completed. How are you doing with yours? Do you have until next week? I just want to get Friday out of the way then do the report all weekend and hopefully get it completed.

Emma

First of all Good Luck for Friday, you sound like you are really prepared. I've delayed mine till half term and so have a few others. I've got behind with the DFS because my mum is very ill and so I used the time I had to concentrate on the tax. I started to look at DFS at Christmas and it's taken me till now to actually understand it (consolidated statements especially). I need time now to practise and practise. I've struggled, still am struggling with the project. I've nearly completed the analysis, but still lots more to do as it has to be finished by Tuesday. I know in my head what I want to put, it just doesn't seem to fit into the headings and mapping, the way I want it to. Think I may be going into too much depth, or it could just be I am so stressed out, that my head hurts. Hope it all goes ok on Friday, let me know how you go on?
  • keane155
    First of all Good Luck for Friday, you sound like you are really prepared. I've delayed mine till half term and so have a few others. I've got behind with the DFS because my mum is very ill and so I used the time I had to concentrate on the tax. I started to look at DFS at Christmas and it's taken me till now to actually understand it (consolidated statements especially). I need time now to practise and practise. I've struggled, still am struggling with the project. I've nearly completed the analysis, but still lots more to do as it has to be finished by Tuesday. I know in my head what I want to put, it just doesn't seem to fit into the headings and mapping, the way I want it to. Think I may be going into too much depth, or it could just be I am so stressed out, that my head hurts. Hope it all goes ok on Friday, let me know how you go on?

Thanks Sue. I'm dreading Friday so much but I really want to get the exam out of the way too. This week I am so stressed out, it just kind of feels like there is no end to work, getting overloaded a bit at work and then trying to make myself study until 9pm every night I will be so glad when I can actually have a weekend(the weekend after this one!!).

I hope your mum is OK. DFS will all make sense one day. I think if you can do the statements and ratios then it'll probably go well...we can still get 30% wrong and pass!! :)

I spoke to Julia tonight about my project and she has said that I can do an analysis on everything and then just do recommendations on the area that I have chosen, I am quite happy about that. I suppose it is better to go into depth and write a lot than not have enough - when you have finished you can then go back and shorten it down.

I still haven't done the practice CBA!! - I don't know whether to bother or not because we have already been through it in class.
  • keane155
    Not really part of this thread but it is unit 10 themed.

I cant get away from the feeling that BPP are basically writing my case study for me. I have put in my management of people section 5/6 times and each time BPP have asked me to change the report.

In my view the original report I submitted needed a little tweaking and to copy some of their layout to make it a little more professional.

I am also having a running argument with them about delegation issues. Basically one of the main problems with my case study company is they don't delegate as the staff they have are not qualified to take on certain tasks and yet I am supposed to make some things up to show delegation in action within the company and as you can imagine with it being a case study they dont just say 'Mr Smith delegates the cheque paying in to Ms Jones'

My interpretation of what knowledge and understanding that I need to show is that I show just that, that I am aware of the 'principles of supervision and delegation' which is pretty straighforward really!!!!

I have made the changes as recommended so far but am standing my ground on the above issue otherwise Unit 10 for me is just a complete waste of my time and means absolutely nothing and is basically a wasted unit !!!

.....phew feel a little better now I have got that of my chest!

Hi, we are only allowed to submit three drafts of our project- the first 500 words, then the full report and then any changes. I'm not sure why they are trying to make you change your report so many times because I would assume that it if meets the criteria and is relevant then it should be OK. I hate this unit too, I have spent so much time on it already, but it's got to be done, and I don't suppose there are many people that do like it!!
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
    I've just been told my first draft is due 16/2 - I gather this is 500 words but is that 500 words, some in each section or any 500 words, ie. the whole of the first few sections that I've written?

thanks anyone!

I could probably find out on the AAT site but I though you lot would know!
  • reddwarf
    I've been told the first draft must be a draft of the whole project! ek...
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I was going to suggest checking with college/provider about what they want for the first draft.

My first draft was a first draft of everything as well!
  • reddwarf
    I am sitting at work wondering if our tutor gave us a timetable showing we needed first draft by 17/2 - kind of irrelevant now because I've just got to get on with it!!!

Did you find your changed a lot after your first draft because I am sure I will have to?
  • Lou1234
    Lou1234 Registered Posts: 210 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I had a fair bit to add in after my first draft. Then my second draft just needed some tweaking. My third draft ended up being my final one which has been signed off!
  • reddwarf
    Thanks Lou, well done!
Privacy Policy