Personal Tax CBA

Becky V
Becky V Registered Posts: 374 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Hi all i have my personal tax exam next week, and after reading a few threads it looks like i should be prepared for anything!!!!!! Is the questions worded that bad?!

Comments

• rehana
    rehana Registered Posts: 61 Regular contributor ⭐
    No not really.Sat mine about two weeks ago.
    Mainly true and false answers but with any exam , you need to read the question carefully.
    It seemed fairly straightforward (don't have results yet !) with the usual type of calculations to do.
    Good Luck
  • SusieQtips
    SusieQtips Registered Posts: 65 Regular contributor ⭐
    Becky V
    Becky V wrote: »
    Hi all i have my personal tax exam next week, and after reading a few threads it looks like i should be prepared for anything!!!!!! Is the questions worded that bad?!

I took it in December and 'yes' they were worded that bad. Be prepared for anything! (I did pass though, so it is possible).
  • leonag
    leonag Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    The wording on mine was awful, not really aimed at testing your knowledge, but more on whether they could trip you up by asking the questions in a roundabout, upside down and back to front way. The best advice I can give is read the question, then read it again to make sure you read it right in the first place, there should be plenty of time as even the slowest in my group were out within 70 mins.

My results are now overdue, but I've been assured they'll be inputted by Friday, so I should be able to see them over the weekend, I don't hold out much hope though! Sitting Business tax tomorrow, and I feel more confident with that plus that CBA apparently isn't such a trick one.

Leona
  • leonag
    leonag Registered Posts: 46 Regular contributor ⭐
    Ok, I've just got the results and I passed, I can't believe it! But it just goes to show even if the exam doesn't go well there's hope!
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I found that there were loads of really horrid little questions, true/false ones as everyone has said, very badly worded, there was only a very small tax computation within the exam.

I dont hold out much hope with this one!
  • Becky V
    Thank you all for your replys, guess i just need to read questions very carefully! Did anyone have emails they had to write in the exam?
  • rehana
    I had one email to write
  • iskcel
    iskcel Registered Posts: 34 Regular contributor ⭐
    I sat mine on Monday and had one email. Most of the exam was small one answer questions and alot of them! There was also one email question. I did think the questions were badly worded.
    I think I did ok but there were alot of ones that I hadn't revised for so I just went on the knowledge I already had and common sense, so I hope I passed.
    I studied with bpp and they give you a folder with the things that are most likely to come up in the exam and a book with everything in and it turned out very little of the stuff they had thought was likely to come up did and alot of the bits from the book came up instead!
    I think I did well though, especially as I had only had the information for a week as the cba was either to take it then or they didn't have another one for 8 weeks and I didn't want to wait that long. This way if I fail I can resit at the one in 8 weeks anyway!!!

I hope the exam goes well for you :-)
  • zara5034
    zara5034 Registered Posts: 170 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Yes Becky

Now I think of it, there was one written question that was almost identical to the one on the practice CBA! Luckily I was prepared for that one! I know that doesn't mean you will get the same question though :(
  • Becky V
    Hi all i have just done the practice cba on here and have noticed a few things are not the same as what i have revised for! For example the question that the tax liablity needs to be calculated for 67yr old. The personal allowance is 9030 but what i have revised is 9490!
    Also i have learnt that if his earnings is more than 22900 then that will be deducted for his income. the answer gives 21800! Please could someone to tell me what figures are used forthe exam as i am panicking now thinking i have learnt different ones!! The ones i have learnt are 09/10.Another one is the annual exemption of 10100. on the exam it was 9600!
    Many thanks
  • rehana
    Don't panic !!
    There are a few errors on the CBA as told by our course provider.

9490 is correct and the limit is 22900 . Annual exemption amount is 10100 for the current cba

Good Luck
  • Becky V
    rehana wrote: »
    Don't panic !!
    There are a few errors on the CBA as told by our course provider.

9490 is correct and the limit is 22900 . Annual exemption amount is 10100 for the current cba

Good Luck

Thank you so much!! I guess they are figures from 08/09! Panic over :)
  • iskcel
    iskcel Registered Posts: 34 Regular contributor ⭐
    I think I remember the practice cba being based on a different financial year.
  • rachy1975
    rachy1975 Registered Posts: 366 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    can somebody tell me if the results of the cba let your know what areas you failed and passed as the paper exam results used to?? im just trying to help a freind of a friend and she seems to think they dont let you know which areas you need to work on.
    thanks in advance
    rach
  • Paisley
    Paisley Registered Posts: 93 Regular contributor ⭐
    rachy1975 wrote: »
    can somebody tell me if the results of the cba let your know what areas you failed and passed as the paper exam results used to?? im just trying to help a freind of a friend and she seems to think they dont let you know which areas you need to work on.
    thanks in advance
    rach

Hi

No, unfortunately you don't get any feedback with the CBAs. Just 'competent' or 'not yet competent'.
  • Becky V
    rachy1975 wrote: »
    thanks in advance
    rach

No they dont. I failed my fnst cba and just got not yet competent. I appealed for this in which i had to pay £23.00 and then you get told on which tasks you exceeded, met or did not meet!
  • babsa
    babsa Registered Posts: 118 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Got my personal tax CBA next Friday. Thank you for the info. and good luck to the ones who still have to do it. ;)
Privacy Policy