Cima?????

smithy44
smithy44 Registered Posts: 31 Regular contributor ⭐
i will be 45 this year and almost complete my level 4, this has been a great achievement for me and has given me lots of confidence and a better understanding in my workplace. The question i have now is do i do CIMA it was my intention to stop after level 4 as i was quite happy with that, but after listening to the lady that came to see us from CIMA the other night i am not sure what to do!!!!
Also my employer is telling me not to right it off yet and a have a think about it. I feel i am not clever enough!! (silly i know). Is there anyone out there that has moved on to CIMA that can give me some advice!!!!

Comments

• PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    There's a lot to think about, it's a step up from aat, study will take up more of your time for the next 2/3 years. You'd have to do a more challenging job/more hours to earn the higher salary.

I did acca but not got anything out of it yet, but didn't really have a plan of action for doing so.
  • smithy44
    Thanks, for your advice exactly what i have been thinking!!! but when your employer is telling you they want you to think about its hard to decide!!!
  • melb2902
    melb2902 Registered Posts: 38 Regular contributor ⭐
    If I were in your shoes I would probably ask my employers why I shouldn't write if off just yet, i.e. have they got some kind of idea in your workplace for your progression? What would be the point in them encouraging you to progress if you then left? Maybe probe them about it before you decide. The may come up with an unexpected offer that you would love to do!

Good luck :-)
  • reddwarf
    reddwarf Registered Posts: 528 Epic contributor 🐘
    If I were 45 and in good health and had the backing of may family and employer I wouldn't hesitate. Even without employer's backing I would still go for it - it would be a marvelous personal achievement.
  • PGM
    reddwarf wrote: »
    If I were 45 and in good health and had the backing of may family and employer I wouldn't hesitate. Even without employer's backing I would still go for it - it would be a marvelous personal achievement.

I agree, its a good ahievement, and being an accountant we often want to do these things for our own benefit and sense of achievement.

But after doing ACCA, I've decided thats enough accountancy study, so any further tax study is well on hold! :)
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️
    I don't blame you there PGM.

It's all a matter of mindset, if you ask me.

If you enjoy learning new things and like to learn, it's worth continuing.
    If you think it might benefit you in your workplace and you think you got the time and energy, it's worth continuing.

But if you got the feeling you spent quite some time studying already and rather have some more free time or if you're not sure if you want to continue, it's worth taking a break and maybe take it up later or just decide for yourself later whether it is enough or not.
  • PGM
    Rinske wrote: »
    I don't blame you there PGM.

It's all a matter of mindset, if you ask me.

If you enjoy learning new things and like to learn, it's worth continuing.

Don't get me wrong, I very much enjoy to learn new things, but its at what expense, I've spent the last 5 years studying AAT/ACCA, this is the first time I can do 100% family stuff. Seems so long since I've been able to enjoy this nice weather now without spending half the day studying, or cutting a day out short to revise.
    If you think it might benefit you in your workplace and you think you got the time and energy, it's worth continuing.

I've got to stop you at this point :D

If it benefits me I think its worth continuing!
    But if you got the feeling you spent quite some time studying already and rather have some more free time or if you're not sure if you want to continue, it's worth taking a break and maybe take it up later or just decide for yourself later whether it is enough or not.

Very true.
  • smithy44
    thanks guy's for all your advice, it has given me food for thought!!!! I passed my CBE External auditing exam yesterday and i am so pleased :) when i walked out that exam i was sure i had failed, i had been ill for a few weeks and missed one of the workshops so i was so sure i would have a resit!!! But it just goes to show if you put the work in the results come!!!!!

As for CIMA i have not written it off yet
  • Chinless Wonder
    Chinless Wonder Registered Posts: 61 Regular contributor ⭐
    I did AAT in 2006 and 2007. I took six months off, used the time to do Unit 10, then started CIMA in Aug 2008.

It is more commitment, especially now I'm at Strategic Level, and it is bloody expensive (I'm self funded) but the feeling of achievement is great.

It has also given me the confidence to progress in my career. And eventually (I hope) it will pay off a lot in term of salary.

Like any course, bits of it I really like, bits I don't, but overall it is interesting and inspiring, and challenging.

Can't believe I'm giving it a good write up with only 3 weeks to my exams!

Good luck with it whatever you decide.
Privacy Policy