I'm not competent!

Monsoon
Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
According to the online skill check for new students, the appropriate level for me to enter the AAT qualification is Level 2 :lol:

(bear in mind I passed level 4 in 2006 and entered at level 3 originally!!)

I took the test because one of my QBE accountants is starting AAT and she also got level 2 as her result (instead of entry at level 3), which is crazy as she could do most of level 4 given her knowlege and experience, let alone level 3.

Just goes to show how much of level 3 isn't used in the real world in general accountancy practice! Cashbooks? Daybooks? Reconciling control accounts? What are these things? ;-) I got a total fail on double entry bookkeeping which is quite funny really.

I guess they might be more relevant to industry (maybe?) but even general bookkeeping 99% of the time software is used that deals with all these things for you.

Just tickled me, thought I would share.
ยซ1

Comments

• Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Well, you know what to do then, don't you?

Hand over that MAAT certificate and start back at level 2! :lol:

Oke, maybe not... But I see where you are coming from. In my work I don't see a lot of level 3 work either though and I work in industry.
  • crispy
    crispy Registered Posts: 465 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Hello,

Have you got a link to the test at all, Ill have a go and see if I can get past the magical level 2.

I think I still have an old frank woods bookkeeping textbook if you want to borrow it :)
  • Monsoon
    Crispy, type in "aat online skill check" on the main AAT site and it should come up. I think only about 3% of the questions had anything to do with what I do all day at work!

Rinske no chance! And Crispy no thanks :D

I found it funny. I'd be interested to know if anyone actually uses daybooks and has to manually reconcile control accounts these days. I honestly can't see where they might, unless someone was actually using long hand manual books.
  • crispy
    Thank you - Ill give it a go and see what I can remember.

Our external accountants are still using manual records when completing our final accounts. When I ask for the final year end figures, amongst other paperwork I receive a hand written trial balance, pretty amazing really when it can be done so much easier on spreadsheets.
  • Monsoon
    crispy wrote: ยป
    I receive a hand written trial balance, pretty amazing really when it can be done so much easier on spreadsheets.

If I was a religious person, I would pray to the god of accountancy and give thanks that I never had to work on manual ledgers. I <3 computers! :thumbup:
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    I had a go too and guess what...

Level 2 for me too. Level 3 really is not used well in my practice anyway.

I didn't get a total fail though I got amber for financial transactions and double entry bookkeeping.

I also didn't do level 2 and started straight at level 3. I qualified in 2008.
    Regards,

Burg
  • Rinske
    I reconcile an error control account manually in excel, where the sales receipts that can't be allocated to the individual customer account get posted. At the end of month I try and find out what the receipt is for and what customer to allocate it to. It's completely different from the actual reconciling in level 3.

I also do a weekly bank rec still, which is slightly annoying, but it just doesn't work online. I got it all in excel, but it's all too complicated for our software, as not a lot matches to what shows up on the statement.

On a not related note:
    I have just got a very pissy email from a colleague, who thinks she is more important then I am, that her job is not to correct errors. I did only point out, granted with a healthy dose of Dutch bluntness, that it would have been faster to do it herself, rather then to ask me to check it and then ask me to correct it in separate emails.

I'm proud of myself that I did not actually send the email reply that I created, as I think that might have caused some issues in the department.

I now have this mental image off us both turning into cats as I got the feeling it is purely territorial at the moment.
  • crispy
    And my result is..............

Recommended to start at level 2 :D

I hope to see you all in September when the classes start again, I've got a head start though as I still have my old frank woods book.
  • Rinske
    I will have to sit it when I get home. I haven't got flash installed here.
  • Monsoon
    Hooray! See you all in class! :lol:

My QBE is very happy to hear you lot are all as competent as we all are here ;-)
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Phew, AAT and ACCA qualified and recommended start at level 2, I was upset when I did that and felt rubbish so thanks for posting this Monsoon.
  • PAMDILL
    PAMDILL Registered Posts: 721 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    I am going to give it a try also, I might have the advantage of having worked in manual bookkeeping and manual payroll for 7 years, although it was nearly 12 years ago. Let you know how I get o.
  • uknitty
    uknitty Registered Posts: 591 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    The flip side of the coin is.... I've done great at AAT exams but my work experience in an accounts practice has been a real eye opener (as you say, most of the stuff covered in exams doesn't really seem to be used on a daily basis at least....)

What does this tell us about the relevance of the AAT qualification to the workplace *boggle*
  • PAMDILL
    I am incompetent in double entry bookkeeping as well, Level 2 for me.
  • Monsoon
    Do we think it's rigged to tell everyone to do level 2 to get extra fees?? ;)

Nobody should be feeling bad about getting level 2!!!!! I think it's more of a commentary on how some exam skills don't translate to the real world.

The AAT is a very practical qualification. I guess there will always be parts that aren't as relevant, but a lot of it is very relevant. Just not the parts in the skills check, apparently!
  • Gem7321
    Gem7321 Registered Posts: 1,438 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I can't even find the thing so I must be completely not competent :D
  • burg
    burg Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,441 mod
    Regards,

Burg
  • jilt
    jilt Registered Posts: 2,903 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    I can't even find the thing so I must be completely not competent :D

Ha ha I can do one better I've forgotten my password!!!
  • PAMDILL
    It does not accept your regular AAT email and password, or at least it did not with me I had to crate a new login.
  • jilt
    It does not accept your regular AAT email and password, or at least it did not with me I had to crate a new login.

Ah that explains it, I'll try later. Must admit I was a little worried that they'd take back my licence if they saw my results :lol:
  • Rinske
    I had to start on level 2 as well. For the same reason, double entry was orange.
  • slackda
    slackda Registered Posts: 460 Dedicated contributor ๐Ÿฆ‰
    Phew ....Your results show that Level 2 orange Double Entry.....oh dear....do i ever use a suspense account....hell no
  • Monsoon
    Rinske wrote: ยป
    I had to start on level 2 as well. For the same reason, double entry was orange.

I confess, on those answers, I guessed wildly as the questions confused the hell out of me :D That's why I got red (and orange for financial whatevers)

And yes, I had to create a new account, didn't even try with my regular one just in case haha!
  • Rachey
    Rachey Registered Posts: 589 Epic contributor ๐Ÿ˜
    Oh dear, I went green, green, green then amber then red!!! guess i've just forgotten my double entry :(
  • crispy
    Welcome to the happy 'gang' :), we now almost have enough for a full class - looking foward to it.
  • Monsoon
    Rachey wrote: ยป
    Oh dear, I went green, green, green then amber then red!!! guess i've just forgotten my double entry :(

Exactly what result I got. Stupid thing is, I'm good at my debits and credits. It's not double entry I fell down on itself, it's manual bookkeeping. Big difference!!

crispy, yep, we will be a fun class to teach - qualified know-it-alls who allegedly aren't as good as we think we are hahaha.

Being serious for a minute, do we think the fact that so far 100% of qualified Members on this thread aren't 'good enough' to do level 3 without first doing level 2 according to that test means anything? I mean anything the AAT ought to be aware of? Either that the questions are not on the right things, or that parts of the closures are arguably less relevant to working accountancy?
  • jilt
    You lot got too much time on your hands, I'm still working! :laugh:
  • Rinske
    It might be worth pointing out, as the questions that established you could start on level 2 seemed more related to level 3 than 2 to me.

But maybe its because we skipped level 2 and this the revenge of the AAT?
  • oli
    oli Registered Posts: 88 Regular contributor โญ
    Just had a go at the test, all green apart from the bookkeeping one which was red so level 2 for me as well ;-)
  • PGM
    PGM Registered Posts: 1,954 Beyond epic contributor ๐Ÿง™โ€โ™‚๏ธ
    Whats the link?

Or is it an isntant failt if you can't find it ;)

** Ignore my post, found Monsoons post on how to find it.
Privacy Policy