1st day of no-smoking.....

GemmaS
GemmaS Registered Posts: 178 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
So I'm on this NHS course at work with 6 of my colleagues, and today is our quit day. I'm quite proud of my self: it's 10.40am and I haven't shouted at anyone (yet!). Being a redhead with the temper to match is making everyone a little wary of me at work and at home; My boyfriend has decided to divorce himself from me for the next 2 weeks as he's a little worried about how horrible I'm going to be!

I'm feeling alright so far, however the patches are itching and burning my skin a little bit :001_unsure: I've also got the lozenges, which taste horrible. keeping in mind most people put on weight when they give up I've stockpiled lots of graze boxes so at least if i'm going to eat instead of smoking it'll be something healthy. I've also got chewing gum and a squeezy stress ball to play with and one of the guys at work has put up a foam dartboard in the office so we can do something to distract us.

I have wanted to give up for a while now so thought this would be a good time; My father has just been treated for bowel cancer with secondary tumours in his lungs and I promised my son I would give up before Christmas. I know these are very good reasons to give up and hopefully will be enough of a push to get through this.

Has anyone else given up and succeeded? How did you do it initially and how did you keep it going?

Thanks

:001_smile:
Β«1

Comments

• SashaDella
    SashaDella Registered Posts: 362
    Cravings last for only 9 seconds. When you get a craving count to 10 and then think about something else.

Good Luck :)
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I found going cold turkey was the best way for me.

Good Luck!
  • GemmaS
    Wow thats good :) how long since you quit? I've tried cold turkey 3 times before.... needless to it didn't do the trick :S Time seems to be going soooooo slowly today and can't seem to concentrate on any work I need to do :/
  • Louise89
    Louise89 Registered Posts: 296 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    Maybe you can try to cut down gradually? :D

Well, that was a couple of years ago, but I started again and quit recently! I need to stop hanging around smokers, it is really hard when the majority of your social circle smoke. I always find I smoke the most when I'm not doing much or when I'm really stressed out, so I've tried to keep myself busy and try not to stress out too much - finding new ways to channel my stress and shizzle like that.

I also live on chewing gum, everytime I get a craving I chew gum then I started to crave gum instead, which I guess is slightly better for you!
  • janwal
    janwal Registered Posts: 1,189 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Hi Gemma

I gave up 15 years ago, I also went cold turkey, and have never looked back. I put the money I saved away and then treat myself to a holiday.

Good luck and keep us informed.

Jan
  • GemmaS
    I cut down to half my usual amount before going on this course, and tried to change the routine of when I would normally smoke ie not having one after food. Hopefully that will help.
    Everyone at work who smokes is on the course so at least we can all help each other along and don't have to watch other people going for a cigarette when we're craving.
  • SashaDella
    Just don't cheat yourself by having one and thinking its okay. You'll feel much prouder if you don't have one at all! :)

And its great the you have the support too
  • GemmaS
    We've all just decided that the person who smokes first will be buying all the drinks at the xmas party.... I'm determined its not going to be me!

But it's hard :S I caught myself playing with a pair of scissors earlier without realising. Put them down very quickly as came to the conclusion that there's no point giving up smoking only to chop one of my fingers off!!!
  • Rinske
    Rinske Registered Posts: 2,453 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Don't worry, you can do it!

I just went cold turkey too, last year March and never looked back after the initial weeks. I'm even happy to be around friends who smoke, without considering having the one.

I took in loads of veggies and fruits to stop myself from the craving at work and at home I would just go running on the crosstrainer for a while to get rid of the cravings... :)
  • GemmaS
    It's funny you should mention the crosstrainer.... I was looking at buying one this morning! I've avoided coffee and tea all day, and won't be having a glass of wine for the next week or so.... :S
  • Monsoon
    Monsoon Registered Posts: 4,071 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Well done you!

Have you thought about e-cigarettes? I know a few friends who smoked who tried them and said they were good. You still get the ritual, which I understand is part of it.
  • GemmaS
    Thank you everyone for your support!!

I've now been 36 hours smoke free :)

Last night was HARD though!!! Kept finding myself going outside to have a smoke then realising I was giving up so ended up pacing my house all evening. Didn't manage to get to sleep till after 4.30 this morning so now am in desperate need of both a cigarette and bed.....

I am pleased to say that I did resist :)

Now I just have to deal with back to back meetings all day half asleep and without any coffee :S lol
  • Rinske
    Stick at it, you can do it :)
  • GemmaS
    I've now been a week without smoking :)
  • SashaDella
    First weeks to hardest, it should get easier from now :)
    Well Done !!!
  • GemmaS
    Well if that's the case then I should be fine....

Got told on Friday that my fathers cancer has returned and he's only got about a year left. If I can resist after hearing that I think I'll be able to handle anything thrown at me.
  • Rinske
    Well done so far and sorry about the bad news, but stick with it!!!

Really in the end it will make you feel so much better!
  • GemmaS
    I am now 31 days without smoking! :) Its been unbelievably hard but I feel sooo much better in myself already. I've come off the patches and am only having the lozenges on very rare occasions when it gets bad..... good progress and feel confident about sticking with it!

:D
  • liveprincess
    liveprincess Registered Posts: 214 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Well done, they say first 4 weeks are the hardest. Now it should only be easier for you. good luck:thumbup1:
  • aaron0121
    aaron0121 Registered Posts: 422
    Keep it up Gemma!

Getting closer and closer to the new laptop :thumbup:
    AAT

Level 2 - 2010
    Level 3 - 2011
    Level 4 - 2013

ACCA

F4 - 2015
    F5 - 2015
  • janwal
    Well done Gemma, keep going you will feel so much benefit from it :thumbup:
  • *Jo
    *Jo Registered Posts: 509 Epic contributor 🐘
    Well done Gemma,
    I eventually quit for good October 2008 and it was bloomin hard work! Ive had everything going in the past from patches (allergic reaction) to those little tablets and eventually was put on some drug from the doctors that did the trick. The only thing was it did make me a little cuckoo for a while but I think the non smoking might have caused that lol.
    Keep it up, it took years for the smell of smoke to start iritating me and if they hadn't banned smoking everywhere I'd probally still be smoking now.
    How are your collegues doing that quit with you?
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I gave up 17 years ago and have never regretted it, especially when I see people standing out in the rain just to have a cigarette!

Unfortunately I have now turned into a reformed smoker!
  • GemmaS
    Thanks everyone! :D I do feel a lot better in myself already. Now I'm going to renew my gym membership to get rid of the extra pounds I've put on since giving up ;)
    Getting closer and closer to the new laptop :thumbup:

Got my eye on one already! :)
    *Jo wrote: Β»
    How are your collegues doing that quit with you?

7 out of 8 of us have managed to give up which is a very good effort!
    Unfortunately I have now turned into a reformed smoker!

I have a bad feeling I'm gong to be one of those as well!!!

Thanks again everyone :)
  • blobbyh
    blobbyh Registered Posts: 2,415 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Talking of moralistic ex-smokers:

I know full well that smoking is dangerous to my health...

... but someone else sermonising to me that smoking is bad is even more dangerous to their health.
  • Bluewednesday
    Bluewednesday Registered Posts: 1,624 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    I wouldn't say that I would lecture anyone about smoking, it's more that where the smell of smoke never bothered me before - it does now. I guess what I mean is I'm more intolerant to it!
  • GemmaS
    At the moment I will admit I am a very bad ex smoker as I'm still finding it hard to be around smokers...... I hope to get better and not be so bad in the future as I know how awful they can be.... :)

Another thing to strive for! Lol

I'm not planning to preach to anyone I just find it hard to be around it :)
  • jlb2474
    jlb2474 Registered Posts: 4 New contributor 🐸
    8 weeks
    5 days
    23 hours
    48 minutes
    cigarette free :)

and a bonus of Β£288.27 saved by not smoking :)

These motivational apps are great.
  • janwal
    GemmaS wrote: Β»
    At the moment I will admit I am a very bad ex smoker as I'm still finding it hard to be around smokers...... I hope to get better and not be so bad in the future as I know how awful they can be.... :)

Another thing to strive for! Lol

I'm not planning to preach to anyone I just find it hard to be around it :)

Hi Gemma

Well done for sticking at it :)

I gave up 15yrs ago and I still cannot be around smokers, not beacause I want one, but because I can not stand the smell of cigarettes.
  • Daz1865
    Daz1865 Registered Posts: 67 Regular contributor ⭐
    Good luck, I hope all is still going well :)

I should really quit but just enjoy it too much, all the health warnings just make it cooler. The only thing that bothers me is the price, but I've started smoking rollies from today onwards, now I have no excuses to quit :blushing:

Did you read that a few supermarkets in Scotland will stop selling them altogether? They're being priced out of it by the scottish government. It annoyed me a bit, I don't see why smokers should be such an easy target. Its one thing making laws to prevent other people breathing in smoke they don't want to, but I should be able to abuse my body to my heart's content. If that includes drunkenly wandering into a Scottish sainsburys and demanding a pack, then so be it :crying:
Privacy Policy