Home For accounting professionals General accounting discussion

Rental income

paulrpaulr Feels At HomeRegistered Posts: 48
Good afternoon,
I have a client who owns a Rental property jointly with 2 other family members.
Looking at their individual Tax affairs they have asked if all the Rental income profit can be declared
against one of the individuals as he will probably have losses to offset.
I have looked at HMRC and can see no legislation not to follow this but feel that HMRC could
challenge on triple ownership on the deeds.
Any input would be appreciated,


  • MarieNoelleMarieNoelle Trusted Regular Hampshire/Surrey borderModerator, MAAT, AAT Licensed Accountant Posts: 1,432
    Hi paulr,
    I believe your client would have to fill in form 17 and provide evidence that the ownership is not split equally.

    Hope this helps,
  • paulrpaulr Feels At Home Registered Posts: 48
  • CeeJaySixCeeJaySix Well-Known Registered Posts: 645
    Assuming they are tenants in common...

    If they are joint tenants it's a bit more complex and they will need to get a solicitor involved to register as tenants in common (joint tenants always split equally).
Sign In or Register to comment.