SAGE courses

sedindriuke
sedindriuke Registered Posts: 28 Epic contributor 🐘
Hi guys,
i am doing AAT level 2 on my own. As I know I will need to buy a Sage course, then exam, and then to provide the results to AAT for approval of my course. I saw the course in Groupon http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/aberdeen/Learndirect/21381715?nlp=&CID=UK_CRM_1_0_0_131&a=185. Could you check and say your opinion? How Sage exam is taken as I see just course certificate will be provided..?

Thanks!
Β«1

Comments

• CeeJaySix
    CeeJaySix Registered Posts: 645
    You only need the Instant Accounts or Sage 50 course - but then either of those will cost you at least that much on eBay anyway. The certification is taken online, then they send you a certificate a few weeks later; you call AAT to get them to set up a LearnPlus assessment, upload your certificate to that and AAT will acknowledge it as recognised prior learning.

Looks like a good deal if you can flog the software you don't need.
  • Nps
    Nps Registered Posts: 782
    Is the 'certificate of completion' the official Sage Certification though, or is it a 3rd party certificate just for completing the course? Seems too good to be true bearing in mind one official Sage certification exam alone costs Β£55.

I'm assuming AAT wouldn't accept anything other than the official certification (I could be wrong though).

If you need to buy the Sage certification exam fee on top of the course fee, then you are not really saving anything as you can buy a training package with certification included from authorised Sage resellers for around about Β£100.
  • sedindriuke
    Thanks guys. I thought it too good as well.

Could you advice where to buy Sage package for learning and exam (exam will be taken online on Sage somwhere as I understand, yes?). Thank you.
  • Nps
    I bought all three levels of Sage 50 accounts for just over Β£200 (each level gets cheaper the more levels you buy). This included 3 separate 180 day licences, all the books and all 3 certification exams. Just type it into Google and you will find loads of resellers. Buying directly from Sage is an expensive way to do it. I bought mine from SJStartup, I chose them purely by chance as several retailers were all selling the same package at the same price (postage was a bit slow and one of the boxes was bashed beyond repair when I got it, but this was my only complaint).

For AAT, I believe you only need Sage Instants which is a 1 exam course and is essentially the baby brother of Sage 50. Personally I went with the larger course, as I wanted it more for CV purposes than AAT exam purposes.

And yes, the certification exam is taken online at home and you can use the books (there is another recent thread on here, with a post by myself, detailing the exam format which may be worth a read before you take it - I like exams and am computer savvy, but I didn't like the format of the Sage exam and wish it had been better explained before I sat it).
  • Nps
    Though I actually think the course you linked to sounds a good deal if you are starting from scratch and just need the knowledge rather than the actual certification and are not already studying. I've never used Sage Instants and have only done the Sage 50 level 1 so far, but I was under the impression that you would cover the essentials of Sage Instants by doing the Sage 50 course (so Sage told me anyway), and the bookkeeping elements of the package are going to be covered by your AAT studies anyway.

Though don't forget, we don't actually know for certain that the course you've linked to doesn't include official Sage certification (if it does then grab it quickly!)
  • sedindriuke
    Thanks Nps1976.

I will look at those all threads for sure.
  • CeeJaySix
    You can get Sage self-study courses including certification from eBay for Β£70ish upwards (you don't need to get the latest version, there aren't any massive changes).

Sage Instant is Sage 50 with some of the features cut out, if you can use one you can use the other for everyday tasks.
  • sedindriuke
    Hi guys, i need some clarification.
    I buy SAGE 50 from ebay (the pack with material and book or whatever like this for ex. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sage-Instant-Accounts-Interactive-Training-CD-ROM-/161019296998?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item257d7f7ce6) or this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sage-Instant-Accounts-Interactive-Training-CD-ROM-/161019296998?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item257d7f7ce6 . Do i need to buy workobooks? And where to take the exam? Could somebody who did it without training provider, provide a link? Which exam of SAGE AAT requires (stupid question maybe, but there are so many SAGEs.. ). Thanks.
  • Nps
    Hi,

They are both for Sage Instants, not 50, but that's fine. The only problem is, they don't appear to include the certification which is an extra Β£55.
  • sedindriuke
    Yes my mistake to post the wrong link. I meant this one. http://shop.sage.co.uk/accountscertification.aspx

Thank you Nps197 for all the answers as always! :)
  • Nps
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sage-Instant-Accounts-Self-Study-Workbooks-Course-/160267276256?pt=UK_Computing_Software_Software_SR&hash=item2550ac8fe0

This would probably be a better bet, it's the full Instants course, plus includes the certification in the price. Don't know if that's a good price or not, but I used the same company and they were one of the cheapest for the Sage 50 courses.

Please remember though that I didn't do level 2 so am only going by what other people say in regards to it being enough to claim the exemption.
  • sedindriuke
    Thank you!
  • coojee
    coojee Registered Posts: 794 Epic contributor 🐘
    Be aware that the AAT are no longer accepting exemptions for Sage courses, you will need to do the computerised accounts assessment or work based evidence.
  • sedindriuke
    Coojee, are you sure? How do you know it?
    So just maybe better then do the course and take an exam in SAGE. as many people do not take exams in Level 2... so i just really do not get - do they get full qualification in AAT or not, after finishing level4? Thanks.
  • Nps
    I didn't do level 2, but can confirm i am level 4 qualified. You have to do level 3 but 2 can be skipped (though of course you need the level 2 knowledge to be able to do level 3).

Good job Coojee read this thread!
  • coojee
    Coojee, are you sure? How do you know it?
    So just maybe better then do the course and take an exam in SAGE. as many people do not take exams in Level 2... so i just really do not get - do they get full qualification in AAT or not, after finishing level4? Thanks.

This is what the AAT have told centres so it should be true.
  • dan1983
    dan1983 Registered Posts: 33 Epic contributor 🐘
    hope not because im halfway through the sage course....
  • coojee
    dan1983 wrote: Β»
    hope not because im halfway through the sage course....

Ooops, best check with the AAT then. As far as I'm aware it applied as soon as they made the announcement which was a couple of weeks ago.
  • CeeJaySix
    Might be worth giving AAT a call, I used it for recognised prior learning in Feb, but they may have changed it for new students...but as NPS says, you don't need it to become AAT qualified, only if you want to officially complete Level 2 (I only did it to help me get a job in the short term).

Search 'Sage Instant Accounts Self Study' on eBay, all of the boxed packs that come up on there are the full course which includes certification, the newer the version the more up to date it is but it's not necessary to have the latest one. Just be careful of anything that's not new/sealed as the certification may have already been used.
  • dan1983
    Just called them and they confirmed that they no longer accept sage. I explained to them that I had previously rung them and they agreed it was fine, so im halfway through the course, but they said it doesn't matter because they don't accept it anymore and they can change exemptions at any time.
    I think this is disgusting as I have paid out for this course, they should just not let any new students from the date of change to be accepted with sage, not ones who are halfway through it.
    Is there any way around this as I really did want to complete the level 2 so I can try and get an entry level job.
    Feel like just quitting aat altogether now and studying cima....
  • Vlee
    Vlee Registered Posts: 136 Beyond epic contributor πŸ§™β€β™‚οΈ
    Sorry to hear this. I'm skipping L2 but plan to do the sage course for my CV. Could you just sit the exam using the knowledge gained from the course? Perhaps get a course book off ebay to check the syllabus. I suspect if you have the other L2 exams and start L3 employers should see your commitment, along with the sage cert. I'm sceptical as to the value of holding a L2 certificate as I didn't feel the course taught more than a good foundation for L3, I certainly don't feel prepared to apply for work. I could be wrong of course and I'm not in a position to apply for work or even short term placements until I've done L3 and possibility L4.
  • coojee
    dan1983 wrote: Β»
    Just called them and they confirmed that they no longer accept sage. I explained to them that I had previously rung them and they agreed it was fine, so im halfway through the course, but they said it doesn't matter because they don't accept it anymore and they can change exemptions at any time.
    I think this is disgusting as I have paid out for this course, they should just not let any new students from the date of change to be accepted with sage, not ones who are halfway through it.
    Is there any way around this as I really did want to complete the level 2 so I can try and get an entry level job.
    Feel like just quitting aat altogether now and studying cima....

I agree that there should have been a deadline by which you would need to have applied for the exemption and they shouldn't have just pulled the rug from under people. I also agree with their decision not to accept it anymore as the sage certification is open book (and unsupervised) whereas the AAT assessment is closed book and supervised so it wasn't a level playing field.
  • sedindriuke
    Thanks guys for useful thread and about SAGE and AAT disagreement. Yikes! So now I need to find a training provider to buy a book and cd and to study SAGE by myself and then go to assesement center to pass it. Btw I passed my firs basic accounting exam.
    But now as I read your posts, I am not sure do i need those exams in fact.. Maybe I just will study and then just go direct to level3 and take those exams. To save time, money if level 2 is not so necessary to be qualified as a full member (with experience for sure). And to do SAGE just for my own competency to understand computerized accountancy and for CV.

Maybe it wont seem ridiculous- oh she started taking exams, didnt finish and then moved to next level... but without knowledge you cannot move into higher level, so really I better saving money then and not doing it Officially.
  • dan1983
    I also didn't know you didn't need to complete level 2, otherwise I probably would not of taken the 2 exams I have passed.
    What is the point in passing level 2 exams
    Then again what if AAT decide to change it....
  • sedindriuke
    Then maybe when I be finished level4 i will do level 2 if they change. As I am thinking later about ACCA or CIMA or maybe not, so i wanna an official paper of qualification from AAT. but if people are fine without level 2...
    Also I am waiting a feedback from ''wanna-work-for-them'' employer and if i get the place I will discuss about level 2 and money saving (as they would love to support their colleague with studies) and then just read level 2 bookds before bed time and concentrate on level 3 exams, then level 4.

Realy stupid if they do not provide with honest information that it is necessary for your basic knowledge not for qualification... but there is business here, money for books, money for training providers, exam fees... so no honesty then.

Deeper in the forest, more trees...
  • mentorkeith
    mentorkeith Registered Posts: 74 Epic contributor 🐘
    Where Can I Find Sage line 50 Level 3 Task Sheets?

Hi Everyone. I have access to Sage Line 50. I want to practice improving my knowledge of Sage by going through some practice tasks, so need some task sheets to practice on - especially good if they are level 3 exam based tasks.

As you know, we tackled such practices throughout our study within AAT level 2 for computerised accounts. I aim to start AAT level 4 but am unable to also do (or afford) a level 3 Sage course at the same time. Besides, I do not need to pass level 3 sage. I simply want to practice to that standard in my spare time, to help me get a better job.

Does anybody know of any website or source where I can download some practice tasks for level 3 and print them off? Or does anybody have some spare ones you could email me? Please reply by private message, if you do, via a Word document.

Thanks so much.
  • NimzV
    NimzV Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    After reading this I asked my training provider, and they said the following:-

We have agreed with AAT that provided certain conditions are met, we can use our assignments in conjunction with the Sage online certificate to gain full exemption from the β€˜official’ AAT computer based project.

The conditions to be satisfied are as follows:

1) All timetabled assignments must be completed submitted and marked.
    2) A mark of at least 80% to be achieved in the Mock Examination.
    3) The Sage online certificate must be completed under invigilated conditions.
    4) If it is not possible to complete the Sage online certificate under supervision we can still use the certificate but we will be required to supplement this with additional oral questions which will be carried out by telephone and documented by a assessor.

As long as we can submit proof that all requirements listed have been satisfied we can still use the Sage certificate and save the inconvenience and expense of the AAT CBP.
  • mentorkeith
    mentorkeith Registered Posts: 74 Epic contributor 🐘
    Sage Level 3 Practice Papers and Exam Centres

Hi Everyone

Earlier I asked if anybody knew where I could find some Practice papers for sage level 3 to download. I notice others on this thread are asking the same question.

I have now found the appropriate website page as follows which gives the practice papers and answers:

http://www.cityandguilds.com/Courses-and-Qualifications/business-skills/finance-and-accounting/8989-computerised-accounts/level-3 Then you click on "assessment materials"

I also note that the question has been asked if anyone knows of an exam centre/site or exam procedure where the exam can be taken without paying for a course - just paying for the exam. That is specifically applicable for those who feel they are already competent to take it already. I would also be keen to know the answer.

By the way, I have discovered that the correct title for the sage level 3 course is called "computerised accounts level 3"
  • Nunezertron
    Nunezertron Registered Posts: 20 Dedicated contributor πŸ¦‰
    I'm self studying level 2 at the moment and not taking the official exams. I just want to get the AAT qualification at the end so I'll take only the compulsory exams to get that.
    I do still need to learn how to use Sage though so I plan to get a Sage 50 self study pack. It seems that there are different levels of Sage courses though. Can someone tell me which Sage level is equivalent to the Computerised Accounting module in AAT level 2?
  • Nps
    Not exactly an answer, but I have no practical Sage knowledge but have passed the Level 1 Sage 50 certification. However, when I read about people doing their level 2 computerised accounting, most of the time I have no idea what they are talking about. Sage told me that doing all 3 levels of Sage 50 is far more in depth than the Sage Instants course but from what I can see Level 1 Sage 50 does not maybe cover as much as the Instants course.

Sorry not much help and I don't know if AAT would have accepted Level 1 Sage 50 as I didn't do AAT level 2 either. I wouldn't worry too much about the AAT equivalent and just do the 3 Sage levels if you want the knowledge (you can usually buy all 3 levels in a pack for the price of buying 2 separately). You don't need the knowledge for levels 3 and 4, I seemed to manage fine without it.

I might make a start on level 2 tonight actually....
Privacy Policy