Worry of forgetting things learnt

Is anyone in the same boat as me in regards to studying AAT to start a new career and as I'm not in a finance or an accounting job I worry I will start to forget everything I've learnt so far.

I am currently on unit 3 and looking to start unit 4 soon, but I still go over stuff and do practice exams for the first 2 units, just so it stays fresh in my mind.

Anyone else feel this way or have any tips?

Comments

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    It's not unusual for me to go over the odd chapter of a textbook from time to time.

See it as free, unofficial CPD.

But yes, what you don't use you will lose. Unless you've an amazing memory.

To redo questions from units passed is the right move.
  • Bertie
    Can't disagree with @Mickdundee

Are you actively seeking roles? Do you have any experience? (I think I remember from other threads the answer is no)

Are you registered with Hays and Reed?

Getting the first role is never easy.
  • DannyT90
    DannyT90 Registered Posts: 158
    I have 2 voluntary Treasurer roles to gain experience but their not frequent enough like a everyday job would be.

Yeah I apply for positions but most say come back once your qualified level 2 and gained more experience with the Treasurer roles.

But with someone with no experience, what would be a good first role?
  • Bertie
    Accounts Assistant, Finance Assistant, Purchase Ledger.

Once you're in it's down to your own determination and dedication as to whether you then become an Accountant.
  • DannyT90
    edited May 2017
    Yeah I know where I want to be in life, just need the opportunity.

I'm in London, so I'm near good opportunities.
  • DannyT90
    That's a good point, thanks
  • Bertie
    An inexperienced assistant would usually be required to know the basics.

What are the basics? For industry a solid understanding of level 3.

Level 4 starts touching base on comprehensive areas. In employment you will get a better understanding.

I'd want to show you the logistics of the basics, how we store our information, who uses this, where it gets sent and such.

Training on SAP / NAV or other would be provided How to not calculate an accrual or prepayment but how to chase what invoice, expense etc relates to such would be shown.

Knowing some VAT would help, even if it is the basics of.
    AAT level 3 indirect is quite a good unit.

Spreadsheets, learn the basics - from formulas to pivot tables.

And learn to how print only what you want to print.....grrr

Or maybe I expected too much :)

• DannyT90
    So once Level 2 qualified what 'title' could you give yourself to potential employers?
  • Bertie
    PQ AAT Accountant.

Working towards AAT syllabus completion.

AAT Level 2 qualified.

Student member of the AAT.
  • DannyT90
    Yeah I suppose Foundation level is what it says, it gives you the foundation to advance further
  • Bertie
    Ignore me then.
  • DannyT90
    Adele69 did you have a job in finance whilst you were studying?
  • Adele69
    Adele69 Registered Posts: 320
    No, not strictly (and I'm still studying btw).

I've had jobs where some basic principles were used e.g. 20 years ago I was working as an admin assistant in a Schools Finance Team I would regularly send Budgetary Control and Transaction reports to schools, their Annual Budget statement, and investigate issues raised from checking their variances. I also had to clear some of the Suspense Accounts, checking Payables and Payroll records.

In my current job I work on for a Shared Service team that supports the local use of Oracle Ebusiness Suite, have more knowledge as a user on the Payables and Purchasing, but have also get involved in other modules, mainly Receivables, Human Resources for amending reports, checking workflow errors and whether they are system or user related, testing and applying changes. A lot of colleagues are AAT qualified, even if they have gone on to do more system and less finance type roles.
  • DannyT90
    I have a potential job interview tomorrow for a finance assistant job and as it's entry level I'm hoping it's a way I can start to put to use what I've learnt but in a job that isn't expecting the world from me.

Even though I haven't got any experience it seems me studying AAT is something that is beneficial in me hopefully getting the job.
Privacy Policy