Appealing for SYNOPTIC Level 4 results?

Comments

• SueFW
    SueFW Registered Posts: 84
    I'm assuming they haven't added anything but who knows there's obviously a major issue with this again I've put a post on our Level 4 AAT group Facebook page suggesting that anyone who failed considers submitting a complaint.
  • Purple_pain
    Purple_pain Registered Posts: 15
    Only one student in my class of 8 passed and it was at 70%. my tutor believes there is something amiss with the synoptic. These 2016 standards are a joke and I feel as if I should have completed Level 4 last year not had a year out. AAT have made so many mistakes this year, they've already had to reassess one unit. I think they have rushed it. :s
  • SueFW
    @Purple_pain has any of your group or your tutor put in a complaint to AAT as I think this is the best thing for everyone to do?
  • JayKallee
    JayKallee Registered, Tutor Posts: 92
    I would not be surprised that your results are the uplifted marks, but lets wait and see what AAT says.
  • Jules18
    Jules18 Registered, Tutor Posts: 102 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    AQ2016 has clearly raised far more concerns than AQ2013 ever did (With the exception of the L3 Spreadsheet assessment that had the time extended because it was almost impossible to finish in the time allowed). The Professional Synoptic is an exam that is difficult to prepare for as it could ask such a wide range of questions not always fully linked to the pre-release material. It is also difficult to prepare for a resit as the test windows are very limited and the previous teat results are only released literally days before the new window opens - so do you assume you have failed and re-enter with your centre to ensure a slot?

On the positive side the AQ2016 pass rates to date should be out soon as promised so we can clearly compare current units against former standards.

I also note that the Advanced Synoptic due to be sat very shortly was amended last Friday to allow 15 minutes extra for the spreadsheet section plus suggesting candidates flick between the worksheet tabs for instructions and workings rather than printing out the instruction sheet. This will cause problems for those who like to annotate and tick off tasks as they complete them.
  • student
    student Registered Posts: 44
    but they let the student know about the uplifting and the percentage uplifted via email beforehand, for the MDCL
  • SueFW
    I don't see how they can just uplift all the percentages without informing students of what has happened. I would've wanted to know if they have uplifted my result I thought I had 69% because that's what my mark was, if there has been an uplift I would like to know what the uplift % was and why.
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Can anyone remember the calculations they were asked to do? I have revised ratios, as I am expecting those to come up. I've also recalled basic variances (price, usage, rate and efficiency), but not fixed overhead variances, inventory change variances or non-controllable variances. I've also looked at the different costing methods etc, but I feel at a loss. I really feel like I've exhausted my revision but as the exam is tomorrow, I feel obliged to go all night.
  • lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    I think you've got it covered @AbbyCarr as best you can anyway! Good luck!! I hope your paper is fairer than the last ones :-)
  • AbbyCarr
    @lannieloo Will we be expected to remember all the IASs? Looking in my revision book for Accounting Systems and Controls it says they may be assessed. There's no way to remember them all, plus the key topics of budgeting, Decision & Control and the Accounting Systems.
  • lannieloo
    edited May 2017
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • AbbyCarr
    Haha I honestly hope so but I doubt it. They've made no amendments to MDCL questions, it will be AQ2020 before things get sorted. I've stopped revising because it's just wracking my brain
  • Yalda20
    Yalda20 Registered Posts: 77
    @AbbyCarr - good luck for tomorrow and please do let us know how you get on? I feel a bit scared now don't think I have covered everything to be honest. I have revised the same things as you have I really hope it's enough :(
  • AbbyCarr
    I definitely will be. By lunchtime you'll know my thoughts. I've revised the main topics I think would come up, there's only so much room to revise topics. I did:
    -Ratios
    -Variances
    -Costings
    -Budgeting Processes (incremental etc)
    -Types of budgets
    -Types of standards
    -Accounting Systems and Controls

I'm absolutely sick to my stomach, but I've done all I can and I know that. I'm a 90% average, and I consider myself quite brainy, but this has really wracked my brain. I don't feel prepared at all, accounting systems and controls was delivered in power points copied word for word from a textbook. My tutor gave us no direction, and I don't know whether that's their fault or AATs; if they're so used to teacher ISYS, then it's not easy.
  • AbbyCarr
    edited May 2017
    Comment removed

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • Yalda20
    @AbbyCarr - thank you so much for your message. I think I have covered everything apart from the last two you have mentioned. By Accounting systems and control- do you mean things like segregation of duties, organisational control etc.
    I have not revised fixed variances, FS, cash flow etc my brain cannot cope with so much data input. Thank you
  • AbbyCarr
    The types of standards are quite easy to remember without any need for revision. And yeah I meant all that stuff, although haven't done any of it in much detail! It just isn't possible.
  • AbbyCarr
    edited May 2017
    Comment removed

• Yalda20
    @AbbyCarr- Hi,

I am sure you did well and thank you so much for letting us know.

Enjoy your day
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Got mine on Friday, at this point think I'll just not bother turning up and go at it in July when they've investigated the syllabus.
  • AbbyCarr
    @Irrorate Half my class decided not to sit it! At least hopefully they'll amend it eventually. There's just not enough information to base answers on, I could only find 2 out of 3 weaknesses. Loads of strengths, but that wasn't asked. Hey ho
  • Purple_pain
    Only one student in my class of 8 passed and it was at 70%. my tutor believes there is something amiss with the synoptic. These 2016 standards are a joke and I feel as if I should have completed Level 4 last year not had a year out. AAT have made so many mistakes this year, they've already had to reassess one unit. I think they have rushed it. :s
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    AbbyCarr - Thank you for letting us know. Just to let you know that most of us feel the same, you aren't on your own and this will be reflected some how.

• Purple_pain
    I'm not available for the July window so got to wait until September to resit, that's ridiculous!!!!
  • AbbyCarr
    One of the questions there were 3 products. All made a loss. And then to use calculations to recommend which or all to discontinue. That doesn't relate to any topic. All I could think about was learning about closing of a business department but the knowledge wasn't applicable. I'm not sure what I needed to calculate or discuss at all. Then non financial factors to consider. All I thought about was customers and potentially employees. Each section was 10 marks. I couldn't have written 1p marks for either :( I understand completely how people feel. I hate to put people off from doing the exam, because trying and failing will give you some experience of the exam and hopefully they'll review the exam. But I thought people would want an honest breakdown of the exam.
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    @AbbyCarr I'm going to sit it for the experience but have no faith in passing it in this visit which would be disheartening as my first ever exam fail in my whole life to date!! Who knows, maybe I'll scrape by on 71% and end up ruining any chance of a distinction given it's 35% of the overall... ridiculous.
  • lannieloo
    Hey @AbbyCarr aww I'm so sorry I was really hoping things would be better this time around!!
    Get that's email sent!! Something needs sorting!!!
  • AbbyCarr
    @lannieloo I've emailed my tutor already but not sure where to direct an AAT complaint
  • lannieloo
    I emailed customer support :-)
  • Megan1
    Megan1 Registered Posts: 25
    @AbbyCarr Thank you for sharing your experience. Try not to be so upset. There are many many students on the same boat as you.
Privacy Policy