Thread deleted: I sat the synoptic today

AAT_Team
AAT_Team Administrator Posts: 502 🤖 Admin 🤖
Unfortunately we have had to remove this thread as it contained information about specific content in the Level 4 Synoptic assessment.

This is a good opportunity to familiarise yourselves with the AAT Online Community terms and conditions
-"A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise."

While we encourage open, honest and constructive conversation about AAT, our products and services, we have to draw the line with regards to the aforementioned in our online communities.

Comments

• AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    @AAT_Team Hi, I reported one of my comments are I was not aware of the above; it has not been taken down. It is not been made very clear regarding the live synoptic exam, which I feel it should be on the AATs page. If the comment is deleted, it would allow the thread to remain open for discussion.
  • Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    I'll expect to see all your names in the disciplinary section of the next AAT magazine. Each with a £1,000 fine.

That's all
  • AbbyCarr
    @Bertie Excuse me? It was an accident that I am trying to rectify, it wasn't that thread in which I posted. I wouldn't even know where to find those terms and conditions. It was never communicated to me about the synoptic exam and I made a genuine error. I'm probably not the only one, so who are you to judge?
  • AbbyCarr
    @AAT_Team Thank you for rectifying my error. It was a complete misjudgement, I do feel it needs to be communicated more clearly. I wasn't even aware I could not discuss with other people in my sitting, thankfully we didn't, but they could receive my questions if they fail and resit. Our learning provider did not disclose this to us.
  • Bertie
    Point 1) There is a rulebook.
    Point 2) It is your responsibility to become accustomed to such.
    Point 3) I was joking.
  • AbbyCarr
    People make mistakes. And your joke wasn't appreciated.
  • Bertie
    I forgive you.
  • lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    Hi @AbbyCarr don't worry I don't think it was you it was meaning, I had a quick look earlier today and I think someone posted their answers on here, just wish I had read his comment better haha but I was at work.
    I think there could be something at the beginning of the assessment telling us not to discuss however I'm not 100% so don't quote me.
    Have you had a reply back from AAT? I saw someone on Facebook had an email to say there would look into it but I haven't even had that!
  • AbbyCarr
    @lannieloo I'd not written in that topic but I had another one, but I had no idea. Like I said, people often discuss after the sitting. It's not very clear, it's in the forum guidelines, but I haven't seen anything clear on the AAT website. I emailed on Tuesday and have not received a response yet, but my email was very long! They take ages to reply. I had an issue with one exam, and by the time they replied it was too late for them to do anything about. I'll be sure to let you know the outcome of the email though
  • AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    edited May 2017
  • Casu
    Casu Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 102
    Isnt it obvious such things shouldnt be published! Just as with any other exam information outwith the AAT.
  • GeorgiaH
    GeorgiaH Registered Posts: 107
    Are we allowed to discuss the lay out and types of questions we had in the exam with out it being deleted or reported? I understand your not allowed to discuss answers but what about the structure etc?
  • Bertie

This is a good opportunity to familiarise yourselves with the AAT Online Community terms and conditions
    -"A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise."

I wouldn't, but that's just me - I follow the rules.
  • GeorgiaH
    Surely we are ok to write about the layout of the exams because they are similar to the sample assessments AAT provide any way but not allowed to disclose full questions maybe?
  • Bertie
    edited May 2017
    I can't answer that question.

But what I can tell you is this; the AAT syllabus at varying levels contains UCAS points and is a QCF qualification, correct?

Some folk will use this professional qualification as a means to entering an academic course of study, for instance a degree, yes?

Others may plan to continue onto CIMA/ACCA/ICAEW, would you agree?

Now, tell me how the AAT qualification can appear to stand-up to scrutiny if students are discussing any element of an apparent live exam on a live open forum?

At this rate future students may as well complete the assessments at home.

CIMA students have been severely reprimanded and expelled for similar.

I'm not suggesting anyone should be punished, but I do think a little common sense is in order.

• AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    I think the rules relating to non disclosure of assessment material is included in the terms and conditions each student ticks to say they have read and agreed to at the start of each live CBT. At least they used to be!
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Yep, yellow tickbox pops up asking you to agree you won't share the details of the assessment!
  • Casu
    Casu Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 102
    GeorgiaH said:

Surely we are ok to write about the layout of the exams because they are similar to the sample assessments AAT provide any way but not allowed to disclose full questions maybe?

Surely NOT - read the extract ''A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise''

'ANY material'
    being the key words. Assessing legal jargon and key words will become part of your life as you progress so its a good idea to get used to reading such things very carefully.

If you want to understand the structure of exams these are fully covered in mocks on the AAT website itself.
  • GeorgiaH
    @Casu Yes i know that. I have read the extract thanks.

What i meant was the lay out as in task 2 in the synoptic is based around a budgeting subject and so on. Which is the same throughout the exam. I do understand the structure obviously as I have done level 2, 3 and now 4... I was just asking a simple question. But thanks for your comment anyway.
  • Bertie
    Darwin award goes to....
  • JayKallee
    JayKallee Registered, Tutor Posts: 92
    edited May 2017
    Practice as many sample papers as possible. Do not leave any tasks unanswered. Allocate your time according to marks allocated. Where you are required to 'explain' usually there are more marks allocated, hence you need more than a one sentence answer. Sometimes repeating the facts from a given scenario may earn you a mark or two. Your answers should be focussed on the question asked. For example if you are asked to give one reason, do not give more than one reason hoping you may have answered the question. Assessors refer this as 'scatter gun' approach. All the best.
  • lannieloo
    Has anyone had a reply from their appeal yet??
  • PB96
    PB96 Registered Posts: 7
    I appealed and awaiting a result. Have you appealed and if you did, I assume you are beyond the 20 day waiting period?
  • lannieloo
    Yes I appeared however I haven't had my reply yet however I have heard from two people who have and both have unchanged results so I'm guessing tomorrow that's what my reply will say too ☹️
  • PB96
    In that case is your 20 day waiting period up tomorrow? Best of luck. I hope it gets overturned, hopefully someone gets some good fortune.
  • lannieloo
    It depends if you count the day I sent it as day 1? I submitted it 4 weeks ago on Friday so I took the bank holiday into consideration and today or tomorrow is day 20, which is why I'm expecting it tomorrow.
    What happens if they take longer than 20 days?
  • PB96
    I didn't take weekend days into account. The only reason I was thinking about the 20 days is that if they were taking longer maybe they are considering the exam overall. After their e-mails since, they obviously are not. Good luck for today. Let us know how you get on!
Privacy Policy