Level 3 synoptic exam

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeff
    Jeff Registered Posts: 11
    Options
    As others have suggested, when doing Part 2, complete 2.2 and 2.3 first as they are worth 16 and 14 marks respectively, whereas 2.1 is worth 10 marks. If you are concerned about time then at least you answer the tasks with the highest awarded marks. Even if you don't do 2.1 you could still achieve a pass
  • bethany
    bethany Registered Posts: 14
    Options
    I sat my level 3 synoptic exam yesterday evening. The first section went well except for a multiple choice question and a written question which I wasn't completely sure of. My tutor had told me to use time given in the first section as she said it was obviously crucial to get as many marks as possible.

With this in mind once I'd finished all the questions I quickly scanned over my answers to section 1 until the timer ran out and a pop up window came up to say the time was up and I should move onto the 2nd section. As soon as I moved onto the 2nd section, the question from the 1st section carried across to my screen in the 2nd section! I knew from then I had a dodgy exam... so I moved straight away to Task 2.3 as Task 2.1 wasn't responding. After saving the spreadsheet task to my memory stick with the correct filename, I closed the spreadsheet so I could open it again using the windows key on the keyboard. Only pressing that key didn't work, so I couldn't re-open my file! I asked the invigilator to come over and after turning the computer off and moving onto a different computer, I managed to start the task.

But, the spreadsheet just kept freezing, like, 4 times. After swapping to about 4 different computers, I'd had enough. All I could do was keep on saving, pretty much every 30 seconds. I noticed the spreadsheet seemed to close whenever I had to do some sort of formatting, but I'm not completely sure of the cause of the freezing. Mercifully once I got onto this one computer and started to save regularly, the spreadsheets didn't freeze again. Somehow I managed to complete all my tasks in the time limit. I think if I didn't have the 15 mins AAT added, I wouldn't have finished. I know they weren't perfect, as there were some things I wasn't sure of, but I did my best!

For anyone sitting their synoptic exam, my advice to you would be, first, use all the time you have in the 1st section. It will never hurt having a second glance over your answers if you have the time, especially the written ones, as there may be spelling mistakes. Once you're in the second section, hopefully you won't have an exam like me where the spreadsheet window keeps freezing. But, if it does, don't waste time trying to unfreeze it by clicking different parts of the screen. Hopefully you will have saved before the screen froze, but if not press CTRL+S (save shortcut) although there's no guarantee this will save your work, get the attention of your invigilator and get them to turn off your computer. Before your invigilator turns the computer off, though, check the time on your secure assess. As soon as your invigilator turns on the computer again and logs you back into your exam, the time should be exactly the same so you won't have lost any time!

Keep pressing the save button as you do your work.

Also, if you are unsure of how to do something, don't spend too long trying to work it out. If you're really stuck move on and try and get as many marks as possible. Every time I finished something I would highlight it on the spreadsheet, but if I came across something I really couldn't do, I just moved on and did as much as I could to earn the marks.

I do have a question. If, like me, your computer does keep freezing, is there any extra time allowance? I was just wondering as my invigilator didn't allow me have any extra time and I was just wondering if that's fair.

I hope this advice helps! I am worried about my result but I am hoping that I did enough to pass, and also that the AAT would lower the pass rate or something. All the best with your exams!! :)

Beth :)
  • KN10
    KN10 Registered Posts: 1
    edited May 2017
    Options
    All 5 classmates I spoke to after the exam didn't finish it on time, even the confident ones. We've been practising and it didn't help at all. We are all very demotivated to study after this fiasco! Especially when we wanted to achieve better results. We use spreadsheets on daily basis at work, but that's not enough. Also there wasn't a very good study support for spreadsheets anywhere (AAT, college). Printed copy of tasks would be great (or two monitors;)), spare time to check what we've done as well and maybe just one task with more questions would do. We have to work under pressure but this was a bit too much for most of us (some were swearing or crying, so much stress)
  • MarieArmstrong
    MarieArmstrong Registered Posts: 6
    Options
    As long as you achieve 70% overall, then you pass this paper regardless of how you performed on each section. I have e-mailed AAT with my feedback on this exam as the more people that complain, hopefully the quicker the problems will be resolved. People need to contact AAT and give their feedback on problems they encountered.
  • 100sweets
    100sweets Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    Its actually 70% overall
  • JayKallee
    JayKallee Registered, Tutor Posts: 92
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It's 70% overall. AAT used this method in the old WEAF and CMPA but ditched this method of marking with getting competency in both sections before getting overall competency. > @Jeff said:
    > I believe you have to achieve 70% on each Part,
    > ie. 42/60 on Part 1, and then 28/40 on Part 2
  • Hayleybubs
    Hayleybubs Registered Posts: 31
    Options
    I sat this afternoon and it was horrific! I have decided I've failed however can someone advise me if I did not tick the green tick boxes in the spreadsheet task pages ✅ will it still get assessed or have I messed it up? Someone told me it was a guide and someone else said it was necessary??!
  • AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    Options
    They're just there as a check list for you. As long as your Spreadsheet uploaded it will get marked.
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    Options
    I sat my Level 4 synoptic and made a complaint to the AAT. I'd complain asap. Its taken 10 days to receive any kind of response from the AAT to say they'll look into it and get back to me. With the next sitting getting closer, it's really important everyone makes a complaint; ideally to get some sort of review before the next sitting.
  • annvboys
    annvboys Registered Posts: 53
    Options
    2003?!!!! you are KIDDING! Oh joy, really looking forward to it now. Not!

good luck everyone - we're all in the same boat xxx
  • Georgia
    Georgia Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    I see everyone has had the same issues with the level 3 AAT synoptic exam.

I am very disappointed as in all my exams so far I have gained distinction (bar one which I got a merit) I even booked 3 days holiday off work to revise in the lead up to this exam (as I like to be prepared) and as it was the final!

The first part of the exam was ok, however questions are confusing with the wording, and there is not a lot of time at all to do the written questions, so I would advise clicking through the first part of the exam as the last written questions in my exam were 8/10 marks.

The spreadsheets were very disappointing!

On my second spreadsheet about 3/4 way through it, it broke using 'goal seek' analysis, I had the invigilator and the IT tech stop my test 20+ times to try and get it working again, however everytime it was reset it then broke again and stalled when I tried to do the goal seek, therefore I could not see the difference that goal seek created to write the email requested of me and explain my findings!

After this long process of spreadsheet 2 where eventually I had to do a print screen and write comments why I had not completed the task I moved on to spreadsheet 3, this spreadsheet was straight forward however I had lost so much time when IT had to restart my test to try to unlock the goal seek each time that I was behind from the beginning, I rushed the last spreadsheet, and then when trying to upload it would not upload (great)!!!!
    And of course you cannot stop the exam to upload it so eventually my time ran out, with a failed attempt from myself and the invigilator to upload the final very rushed attempt.

I was very annoyed as my exam due to all the stopping and starting took 4 hours! And when I had a bathroom break the timer kept ticking down therefore losing a further 5 minutes off my exam time :(

I fret a lot about exams I work myself up and am always very nervous, I usually do well however feel on this exam it was very unfair and very unnerving for everyone sitting it as to whether you could complete it or not! It is also very disrupting to everyone when you are consistently calling the invigilator over, of which there was only one in this instance so you had to wait for him to come round, then realise your exam needs stopping as it has stalled, which wastes further valuable minutes.

Overall I am very very disappointed, and what makes it worse is we find out whether we pass or fail a couple days before the resit???!!!!

Therefore I am continuing to go to college after work two evenings a week 6-9pm until I am told my results (usually you can tell if you have passed or failed) but I have no idea in this instance.

I am hoping if in the unfortunate event that any of us do have to do a resit that the AAT will offer this for free, and no mark will be put against us as a failed attempt!
  • Erenfrida
    Erenfrida Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    I wish we could carry over the time we got left over in part 1 TO PART 2. As well as print out instructions. How come some students how print out's? Don't think time is sufficient on Synoptic - AAT -Something to consider as so many students are complaining than there is not enough time. Why combine exam when its split into 2 parts anyway???
  • 100sweets
    100sweets Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    I suggest we all write personal letters of complaint to AAT
  • annvboys
    Options
    Just want to let you all know that AAT have confirmed to me that it is 1 exam, not 2 and so the overall pass mark is 70%, which means that you do not need to achieve 70% in each section.
    So if you get 100% in the synoptic you only need 25% in the spreadsheets. 100% in the spreadsheets leaves you needing 50% in the synoptic. (I think!)
  • SusanC
    SusanC Registered Posts: 23
    Options
    @Jeff and @Hayleybubs - we were categorically told by our tutor, who read from an email from AAT, that you have to achieve 70% across the 2 parts so theoretically you could get all of part 1 right = 60 marks and 2.1 right = 10 marks and pass.
    However, following my experience of the AVSY, I'm not sure I trust AAT as far as I could throw a fluffy dice.
  • Jeff
    Options
    Anyone had a good result with the Level 3 Synoptic?
  • Cd83
    Cd83 Registered Posts: 32
    Options
    I spoke to the AAT and it is an overall percentage of the 2 papers combined. Paper 1 is heavily weighted in regards to marks available.

I ended up with 78% which I wasn't ecstatic with but a pass is a pass!
  • annvboys
    Options
    I know of an 84%!! I just want 70% at least. Will be more than happy with that. Wish me luck!!!
  • altovey88
    altovey88 Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    Guys, I am sitting my Synoptic (Level 3) tomorrow and all these posts about cock-ups and freezing screens etc have completely spooked me. I was worried enough before I read all this and now I am absolutely terrified! If anyone can lend any pointers/advice on the exam then I would be most grateful. I am FREAKING OUT!!! Thanks x
  • Cd83
    Cd83 Registered Posts: 32
    Options
    See my post above altovey,

The first part of the exam is fine, exactly the same as all the other computerised exams.

On the second part my advice is to do questions 2 and 3 first as they hold more marks then question 1 last.

Save and Upload each spreadsheet on regular occasions. Then if you run out of time at least something will be uploaded and marked.

Try not to worry too much.

Good luck
  • annvboys
    Options
    @altovey88 Excel for me was fine. It was horrid in time and content but techically ok. I know it is too late for many but i took the advice of our invigilator regarding saving and naming files. When you download, just save (NOT save as) to desktop. Then do the work, clicking the 'save' icon (top left) frequently. Then close when you have finished. Then go to your desktop and right click on file to rename it. Once renamed upload back to exam. I did this for all 3 and they worked (i think). Really faffy especially with the clock (which you cannot see) ticking. My heart was leaping out of my chest. A vile experience in all honesty. So stressful. Really hope i don't have to resit. Very much borderline whether i passed though.
    First half you can basically be tested on anything and the wording may be different from books/practice exams. Just plod through it.
    Good luck x
  • Mandyh
    Mandyh Registered Posts: 8
    Options
    praying I've done enough this time, last time was a fail with 60% but I had all the freezing and issues with things not working so there wasn't much to upload for marking. I had a more difficult (for me) first paper this time around which was a bit of a shock, but at least my 'wordy' question worth the big marks was about changing to a limited company which luckily enough I had got genned up on! Then 2.1 was about consolidating - whats that? found a button for it, but didnt know what to do with it so gave up with that bit and tried to move on. did submit 2.2 and 2.3 though, there might be a few little holes in those but i had a good stab at them. Now just going to try and put it out of my mind for 6 weeks.
  • kurtisholmes93
    kurtisholmes93 Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi just got the results for my synoptic exam. Got 70% so just scrapped a pass, which i am happy with. Although i do believe the exam is unjustly more difficult then the others in the level 3 qualification. I achieved arround the 90% on all other exams and have decent excel skills, in my opinion the wording of the questions confused me as wasent direct enough in what it was asking, or asked you to creat something, then create another different one, e.g. bar graph but the correct answer would have been to change the first into the second. I think this exam need to be adapted for actual use and seems to have been thrown together, the extra 15mins might have saved me from failing but wasn't enough in my eyes.
  • SusanC
    Options
    @kurtisholmes93 - Like you I scraped through with 70% & agree that the Excel was unduly difficult to complete in the time allowed. Like you I averaged 90%+ across the rest of the course so have missed out on a distinction. I hope that AAT will learn from all the negative feedback so that future students have a better experience and achieve marks that reflect their true abilities.
  • Jeff
    Options
    I sat my exam on 23/05 and got my result at the start of July. Up until now I have kept quiet about my grade, as I had achieved 90%+ on all of the other exams, and therefore found that I was putting myself under pressure to do well. however, I did have the advantage of knowing that as long as I achieved a pass in the Synoptic, I would get a merit overall.
    When the results were released, I achieved 93% in my Synoptic, and 93% overall, therefore achieving a distinction.
    Now I find myself in the position of not being able to attend my local college for Level 4 as they are no longer holding an evening class.
    I then found another college, applied online, and was advised that I would be invited to an interview. I then received a letter on 24th August, which I opened when I got home from work, inviting me to attend an interview at 4pm on the 24th. I now await the college to reschedule.
    As an alternative, I am considering doing Level 4 as distant learning, and ask if anyone has an opinion on such, i.e. getting support when needed, booking and attending the exams, etc.
    Finally, anyone out there still awaiting their results, I wish you all good luck.
  • SusanC
    Options
    @Jeff - well done on your results. I can't believe the second college would turn you away with marks like yours. They do sound a bit disorganised in not giving you any notice of the interview. My experience of distance learning is only with the OU so can't really help, sorry. Good luck.
  • JDigby
    JDigby Registered Posts: 17
    Options
    @Jeff

Firstly, congratulations on completing level 3.

I studied level 2 as distance learning, and had no problems, though admittedly level 2 and level 4 are worlds apart in terms of difficulty. Also factoring in that when I studied levels 2 & 3 it was purely a case of pass or fail, without any extra incentive to achieve the top marks.

In level 4 I studied the core subjects at College as well as the Tax units, however as I'm somewhat of a completionist I learnt the other optional units independently and sat those also. Whilst I did pass all of them first time, my marks were slightly lower for the units I learnt outside of class.

My advice would be to attend college to do the course if it is an option, I ended with an average of 90%, however my average across the units I studied alone was only 80% so it can make a big difference. Previously when it was purely pass or fail I'd have said distance learning should be fine, now I think the benefit of learning in class is greater.
  • altovey88
    altovey88 Registered Posts: 2
    Options
    After all my worrying... 81% yay

Merit =D
Privacy Policy