L4 Synoptic

My groups sat this thing this week, even the strongest of students found it impossible, and it would appear to be much much harder than the Unit it replaced, the ISYS Project.
Again the MDCL questions, from what I can gather ( I do not see the exam) were too hard. As a Tutor the guidance available to teach the thing is very limited. The 2016 Qualification appears to have been rushed through and handled very badly.
In my opinion, as students you should complain to the AAT in writing, and if you are not happy with their response, escalate your complaint to OFQUAL.

Comments

• lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    Absolutely!! I've complained and appealed!
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    I have also complained as I've just sat this. I'm a strong candidate and felt ready to sit the exam (before reading up about it). Although I had prepared myself well, I don't feel that my tutors felt ready to deliver the unit. I revised the key theories from the first 3 units, and accounting systems and controls. I even got the books, which I've never done for any units from the past diplomas. I did numerous practice questions and assessments. I even swatted up on calculations I knew would never come up, just in case. There wasn't anymore I could have done.

I'm part of a Facebook AAT group, and to be honest a particular post upset me. They stated that although their exam was hard, it was fair. And people commented it was good to make the exam hard, so only the best people can achieve the qualification. But if people get 90%+ on all other units and achieve 70% on the synoptic, it's not only demoralising, but then affects their overall grade as it's worth 35%. Obviously AAT level 4 should be challenging, but if no one can achieve a distinction, what meaning does it even have? I honestly feel I have been disadvantaged by the AAT. If I hadn't of sat my A Levels and then done AAT, I could have done the AA2013 standards and have passed with flying colours.

This exam is a luck of the draw. Questions 2,3,4 and 6 are high mark theory based questions. I'm happy to say most of my exam was fair, however I'd say that 2 tasks definitely were not. The mark to content ratio was completely incorrect. I had high mark questions I felt I could write 3 sentences about and that was it. I never had problems with MDCL, and I suppose I viewed those complaining as 'whingers', however I completely understand their viewpoint now. I've never been in a position where I've struggled, so I feel like I've failed myself, failing is just not something that I've ever had to deal with. I plan to write a written complaint now too. Somehow, even a 10% raise in scores won't make this situation right. People's grade at the end of AQ2016, should accurately reflect their skill set and time spent, at this rate that won't happen. And unfortunately the AAT will struggle to compare ISYS with the synoptic exam.

I emailed my tutor, who said he would discuss it with me. I'm interested to know what my class mates thought, but obviously cannot discuss the content of the exam. Not all my class even sat in the first place. I'm glad there are people in the same boat as me or I might go mad.
  • lannieloo
    I had a look online today... and there are not even any green light tests or e-learning in the synoptic section to help us prepare... there should be adequate revision support... even more so than the other units as it's the first year!!
    Decision and control results were so distracting in our class until the uplift and now so is this! I have my business tax exam on Friday and my mind has been so distracted with this fiasco!! :-( I'm not a happy bunny!!
  • AbbyCarr
    I agree, there is a lack of AAT support. I have passed every other exam without the need to purchase additional revision material, through my college and the AAT together. I realise that questions were aimed at our application of knowledge, but I just didn't understand how I could! I have 3 weeks till Personal Tax, but it is weighing heavily. I thankfully felt no negative effects with MDCL, but I 100% sympathise now.
  • lannieloo
    Personal tax was my fave unit!! However I wasn't impressed that there was a mistake on one of the AAT online practise assessments! I need to log on and see if it's been changed! But apart from that it's an awesome unit and very fair stretching but with hard work achievable assessmen :-)
  • AbbyCarr
    I'm loving that there's only one written question! I've not struggled with any part of it, there's just loads of little things you have to remember. I have really enjoyed it so far. I'd love to get a high mark, but being only 10%, it won't make much of a difference. I start credit management next week and sit that in July. Then the future is unclear :(
  • lannieloo
    Because of the synoptic I feel the future is very unclear too!!
    Did you read on Facebook what the lady said about calling AAT today??
  • AbbyCarr
    Which Facebook group are you a part of? What happened? I'm yet to receive an email after day 3
  • JM95
    JM95 Registered Posts: 7
    I sat the synoptic yesterday and found that it was probably my most straight forward exam, as did a fair few of my class mates.

I would suggest that everyone focus their revision on different types costing and budgets as it is helpful to be able to talk about the benifits of each different type in the exam.

I would also reccomend the Kaplan books and practice questions as they are pretty similar to what came up in the exam.
  • Alfred30
    Alfred30 Registered Posts: 1
    Out of 30 in my college only 9 passed this. And these were low passes, from students who normally have been achieving above 85%.
    All students agreed that the exam didn't refer to the pre-release material as the sample papers had suggested and the exam had the same feel as the decision and control paper.
    We'll all feeling pretty disappointed and let down by AAT at the moment.
  • Hil63
    Hil63 Registered Posts: 10
    I sat the Synoptic L4 assessment last Friday and found it pretty challenging. I found most of the questions fair with the exception of Task 4. I had no idea how to approach this, so did my best - but as this is a 20 mark question, I doubt I have done enough to pass this.
    Most others in my class struggled - some with all of the tasks. It appears that there are a wide variety of questions asked and it is pot luck which ones you get.
    My results are due on 30 June
    Good luck everybody!
  • AbbyCarr
    I would agree the majority of the questions were fair, Task 4 was also my downfall. That's 20 marks I definitely haven't gotten, so I can only lose 10 marks across the rest. Which as it's basically all written is easily done by not backing up points etc.
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Has anyone got a breakdown of the tasks on AQ2016 Synoptic? And also Decision and Control, are the tasks as on AQ2013 Financial Performance?
    Thank you.
  • Mike Webster
    Mike Webster Registered, Tutor Posts: 203 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    The attached booklet published by BPP may help you re AQ2016 Professional Diploma Synoptic Assessment (PDSY)
    Michael JH Webster AATQB FMAAT
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    Thank you Mike, I will have a thorough look through this.
  • lannieloo
    I got my email reply back today! No change to the results!
    Very disappointed!!
Privacy Policy