Careers After Level 4

Hi I am currently working in a company but don't do that much account work. I have almost finished level 4 and have been looking for a new job in accounts. My problem is all jobs i've seen which i could apply for are only around 18k or less. I was under the impression you could earn more after level 4. I now feel AAT is sort of a waste of time as you can be an administrator for 18k with no qualifications.
Has anyone else found having an AAT qualification doesn't actually benefit them when looking for a decent paid job?

Comments

• JayB2606
    JayB2606 Registered Posts: 36 Regular contributor ⭐
    I agree, with Mick

Training providers and job sites don't help either, I keep getting email saying

"become AAT qualified and earn up to £43,500"

Which makes me chuckle a little as when I first became AAT I was on £19k and then when I became ACCA I was on £32k
    ACCA, FMAAT, Licenced Accountant and ACCA Practising Certificate
  • SC1234
    SC1234 Registered Posts: 19
    How are you supposed to get the experience if no one will employ you because you don't have the experience?
    I would like to go on to do my ACCA but I'd like to get a job in an accounting practice first. Otherwise I might do my ACCA and still not be able to get a job because I still don't have experience..
  • SC1234
    edited June 2017
    I don't think there is enough careers advice available and yes I also think the AAT give unrealistic expectations.
  • JayB2606
    ACCA have there own job site which maybe able to assist you

https://jobs.accaglobal.com/jobs/

if you are wanting to do ACCA, perhaps register and get the exemptions from F1 - F3, even thou its not much, but would show employers you are committed to furthering your education.

I would not get disheartened until you have exhausted all paths
  • SC1234
    Thank you @JayB2606! I will have a look. I'm trying not to, just getting frustrated after working so hard to get my AAT. But I will not give up. Thank you :)
  • Casu
    Casu Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 102
    SC1234 said:

I don't think there is enough careers advice available and yes I also think the AAT give unrealistic expectations.

Ive never had any careers advice in my life, not even from school. You make out of life what you put in. Keep going. Ive seen some folk post 500 applications before they had success. It only takes one and then you are off and running.

• Bertie
    Bertie Registered Posts: 376
    Having the experience is what dictates the salary.

Those who succeed just crack-on.

To be earning over £40k with the AAT qualification is rare*. It's not unheard of, but you'll form part of the minority.

* Unless:

1) You've plenty of experience.
    2) Running your own business.

Usually in business you'll need a chartered qualification to continue to rise through the ranks.

£18k for an inexperienced future accountant isn't bad. Yes, you could earn more elsewhere, but you'd be on a road to something better working your way up.

Everybody wants the flash cars and nice houses straight away.

It's a slog - have a ten year plan.

If you want to become a millionaire overnight, either; manage to win the lottery, or design some killer mobile app.
  • JayB2606
    SC1234 said:

Thank you @JayB2606! I will have a look. I'm trying not to, just getting frustrated after working so hard to get my AAT. But I will not give up. Thank you :)

No worries, Message me if you would like any assistance, I would say to anyone interested in ACCA or ACA, try a pop a long to one of the regional network events - I myself am part of the west midlands panel.
  • SC1234
    That's great, thank you @JayB2606 appreciate it :)
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    I got into the AAT with absolutely no unrealistic expectations at all - after working in a betting shop for 3 years and then suffering clinical depression and being unemployed for a further 8, I'm just glad to have a steady job doing work that I actually feel I can take pride in. :)

As such, coming to my first job in an accounting practice, I had of course zero actual experience and only just finished AAT level 3, and am earning only NMW (so, about £14,500pa).

On the upside, I heard in the budget today they announced a 4.4% increase in NMW next April, which means I'll definitely be getting a pay rise again. Yay! xD

But now, as I'm coming up to 2 years and almost have my level 4 diploma, I think I might try to find something paying a little bit closer to the 20k mark...
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • sehrish
    sehrish Registered Posts: 9
    Hi guys,

I have done MBA with Finance as my majors, I have recently done AAT level 3 and currently doing AAT level 4. Hopefully I will complete my AAT level 4 by the end of February and right after that I will go for AAT-ACA fast track. As you guys know that For ACA we need to complete 450 days of working experience with an ICAEW certified employer. I have banking experience but that was in Customer service and sales, I dont have any previous experience in accounting field. Now whenever I apply for any job in accounting field. I cant get through because i dont have accounting experience. Can anyone guide me how to go through this problem.
  • thelowendtheory18
    thelowendtheory18 Registered Posts: 298 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    It's a funny one ... I have 13 yrs experience and managed to work my way up into a fairly senior role with a good salary without having any qualifications (very lucky really)

I decided to start of AAT just to get some qualifications under my belt, which thankfully I have as I've just completed level 2 and now studying level 3.

I could have started on the CIMA route stright away but considering I've not studied for yrs I thought the AAT would be the best option

Like someone said above, experience is the key in gaining a very good salary.... but having the AAT will definitely help
    AAT

Level 2 Foundation Certificate in Accounting - 30 Nov 18
    Level 3 Advanced Diploma in Accounting - 16 Oct 19
    Level 4 Professional Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jul 21
Privacy Policy