Problems with the Synoptic Level 4 assessment marking??

I feel there is a serious issue with the Synoptic Exam similar to D&C. So many people including myself failed it and the ones who passed only did so by a few %.. These are people who usually achieve results in the 90s. I had 67% and I have put a complaint in and sent off an appeal for a remark. I've passed all my exams until this one BUT feel most of the exams have not fully mirrored our study material. Having achieved Distinctions in my mock exams in the live assessments I have not achieved higher than 79%. I have no idea where the goal post is anymore. I am slowly but surely losing motivation

Comments

• Irfan437
    Irfan437 Registered Posts: 11
    Previously I have passed every single exam in first attempt both level 3 and 4 and scored at least 81% in all exams, D&C 92%, Financial statements 91% and I can't believe that I have failed the synoptic assessment. The difficulty level of synoptic assessment was way too much as compared to the individual exams of these subjects then there is time pressure to absorb the whole picture given and then perform a SWOT analysis all in one sitting and then on top the marking is based at same strict level. As far as I know in our class only one has passed with only 71% marks, and she scored 99% in last exam of Financial statements.
    Overall I think it is unfair to give easier questions in unit exams and then ask way too complex questions in synoptic assessment. It should be other way around.
  • AbbyCarr
    AbbyCarr Registered Posts: 157
    I sat the Synoptic in May and came out of the exam crying. Now somehow I've managed to achieve 90%, but I was expecting to scrape a pass. I wrote a long email to AAT back in May and it seems that they just aren't backing down on this one. With MDCL a lot of people complained and things changed, but they seem adamant that the Syntopic is fair and challenging to students. I'm not impressed with them at all, or their response. One of my biggest issues is the windows. It states you must book the exam 4 weeks in advance. By the time you receive your results, the next window starts the following week. My college didn't allow us to book a provisional resit as we hadn't failed yet, so had I not passed, I'd be waiting till September or whenever the other window may be. They state all new exams are under constant review, it will be interesting now the latest set of results comes out, what the AAT will say about the exam. I completely agree it was way too difficult, and I felt like none of my preparation even mattered, nor that any additional preparation would have helped me. I know I'm in a lot better position than others, but I feel just as strongly.
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    Indeed it does seem strange that so many people are failing by less than five marks, or pass by 1 or 2 marks. The cynical part of me thinks they're looking to make a lot of money through failed repeals and resits. Otherwise it can't be doing their reputation any good. Perhaps it's now about money rather than quality performance.
  • ShivaniC
    ShivaniC Registered Posts: 9
    I totally feel the same!! I hope some remarking or some sort of call back happens for this, too many people have failed or got bad results.
    I got 79% for this one luckily I passed the synoptic but my previous results were so much higher so I dont really understand how!!
    FSCL - 91%
    MABU - 83%
    MDCL - 97%

Is it really possible that so many people have got good marks on the other exams then either got a really low mark or failed this one!? It's crazy!!
    Really disappointed and to be honest demotivated as no matter how well I do in my optional's I will not receive anything higher than a Merit.. :(
  • steady88
    I'm doing the synoptic for the first time next Saturday.

FSCL- 93%
    MABU- 79%
    MDCL- 82%

Though with decision and control I'm sure it was uplifted. I think I should've got 90% as I felt really comfortable with it, but the exam was tricky like for many people. Before reading this forum I thought 80% was possible,

I've been continuously reading the learning objectives for each question, so hopefully that gives me an idea of what kinds of questions I'll get asked. I also think the most difficult questions to understand what they want are going to be questions 2 and 4? So if I can do well on the other questions then hopefully I can get just about scrape a pass.
  • ShivaniC
    steady88 said:

FSCL- 93%
    MABU- 79%
    MDCL- 82%

Though with decision and control I'm sure it was uplifted. I think I should've got 90% as I felt really comfortable with it, but the exam was tricky like for many people. Before reading this forum I thought 80% was possible,

I've been continuously reading the learning objectives for each question, so hopefully that gives me an idea of what kinds of questions I'll get asked. I also think the most difficult questions to understand what they want are going to be questions 2 and 4? So if I can do well on the other questions then hopefully I can get just about scrape a pass.

Good luck!! Some people have done well.. but I feel most have either got a rubbish grade or failed..
    Do as many papers as possible and also practice time! I really dont believe this exam is long enough.
  • steady88
    ShivaniC said:

steady88 said:

FSCL- 93%
    MABU- 79%
    MDCL- 82%

Good luck!! Some people have done well.. but I feel most have either got a rubbish grade or failed..
    Do as many papers as possible and also practice time! I really dont believe this exam is long enough.
    Cheers. I'm using the kaplan text and exam kits, as well as the assessments on the AAT website, but wondering if perhaps I should get BPP or Osbourne as they may give me different questions to also think about
  • Irfan437
    Previously I sat in similar exams of University called Comprehensive test. There was a 3 hours exam containing over 100 short questions and MCQs. And this is what I expected from this Synoptic exam and opted for new AQ 2016 Syllabus but as soon as I sat in the exam room I did regret my choice. Subject questions shouldn't be asked in combined test of three books. Also it limits the thorough study and encourages selective study of some main topics and the whole idea of preparing student for interview question answers is compromised for example from budgeting only different types of functional budgets are emphasized and rest of the chapters are even touched in any form.
    I think only short questions and MCQs should be asked out of all three units randomly and instead of 6 tasks there should be 3 tasks relating to each unit. i.e MAD&C, MABudgeting and FSLC
  • Irfan437
    Correction Subjective questions not Subject questions Thanks
  • ShivaniC
    steady88 said:

ShivaniC said:

steady88 said:

FSCL- 93%
    MABU- 79%
    MDCL- 82%

Cheers. I'm using the kaplan text and exam kits, as well as the assessments on the AAT website, but wondering if perhaps I should get BPP or Osbourne as they may give me different questions to also think about
    I suggest BPP, I previously used their books and continue to use them even though they are not my training provider. They have question banks with plenty of questions and extra mock papers which are really useful.
  • Daryl818
    Daryl818 Registered Posts: 20
    Do any of you know how to get your results as in how you did on each task? I am resitting on Thursday and I would like to know where to focus...
  • Irfan437
    Daryl818 said:

Do any of you know how to get your results as in how you did on each task? I am resitting on Thursday and I would like to know where to focus...

We get from our College lecturer one or two days after the results are out. For an independent student its best to phone them or they might send you directly in a day or two
  • Marie_P135
    Marie_P135 Registered Posts: 2
    I'm really glad someone else posted this, I'm in a pretty similar position! I've passed everything first time but with results no higher than 82% - i got the synoptic result back yesterday and it was 53%! Its really frustrating, I didn't expect to do as terribly as this. I did a sample assessment today and felt pretty comfortable with it too, fingers crossed for next week!
  • MissHermansen
    MissHermansen Registered Posts: 103
    AAT simply cannot ignore this! So many students are feeling let down and disgruntled. At this rate I would not recommend AAT as a study route to anyone. It is absolutely crushing when you put great effort in and do all you possibly can to prepare only to be met with vague exam questions not remotely similar to the study material provided. The written questions are also marked very harshly without giving us clear guidance on how to answer the way they want us to!
  • ShivaniC

AAT simply cannot ignore this! So many students are feeling let down and disgruntled. At this rate I would not recommend AAT as a study route to anyone. It is absolutely crushing when you put great effort in and do all you possibly can to prepare only to be met with vague exam questions not remotely similar to the study material provided. The written questions are also marked very harshly without giving us clear guidance on how to answer the way they want us to!

With you on this, especially with it running for the first time there aren't even previous years we can use revision material from. The lack of it is discouraging.

really hope they take some action, on these new standards as a whole and if they require students to know more they should equip us well enough to pass this.
  • MissHermansen
    AbbyCarr said:

I wrote a long email to AAT back in May and it seems that they just aren't backing down on this one. With MDCL a lot of people complained and things changed, but they seem adamant that the Syntopic is fair and challenging to students. I'm not impressed with them at all, or their response.

Firstly congratulations on your results! In all fairness when you complained in May the majority had not sat the exam or received their results. I think there is a mass complaint going on right now, both from tutors and students- even more so than for D&C so I do not see how they can simply not budge on this. Something is seriously wrong here...

• MissHermansen
    ShivaniC said:

With you on this, especially with it running for the first time there aren't even previous years we can use revision material from. The lack of it is discouraging.

really hope they take some action, on these new standards as a whole and if they require students to know more they should equip us well enough to pass this.
    I'm trying to study for my business tax exam on Wednesday but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. It seems no matter how much you prepare for the exams they can hit you with unexpected questions. I have lost all faith in AAT..

• ShivaniC

ShivaniC said:

I'm trying to study for my business tax exam on Wednesday but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. It seems no matter how much you prepare for the exams they can hit you with unexpected questions. I have lost all faith in AAT..

good luck!! I have my BTAX on the 18th and to be honest i've lost faith and motivation too.. contemplating the reasons i put so much effort in when it hasnt paid off in my pdsy result.

I emailed AAT, waiting for a reply.
  • MissHermansen
    Complaint***
  • Irfan437
    Another issue is regarding the name of Synoptic unit it's not only Synoptic in it, Accounting systems and control is also a part of it which is completely missing when they announced the assessment results I think accounting systems and control part should be mentioned in our transcript when AAT certificates of Professional Diploma are issued.
    Please provide your opinion on this Thanks
  • MissHermansen
    ShivaniC said:

ShivaniC said:

good luck!! I have my BTAX on the 18th and to be honest i've lost faith and motivation too.. contemplating the reasons i put so much effort in when it hasnt paid off in my pdsy result.

I emailed AAT, waiting for a reply.
    Try not to let this hinder you.. We have come this far so giving up isn't an optional, although I wish I had chosen an alternative study route. I'm glad to hear you've put a complaint in as well.. The more of us speak up the more they are forced to listen. Good luck for the 18th :)
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    I'm getting more scared by the minute at reading more and more posts on the forums about unfair synoptic testing. I'm sitting mine on Wednesday and even though I'm constantly revising, practising I am worried that my brain won't work fast enough to answer all the questions in 3 hours. If anyone at all can give any advice on the style of questions asked that would help and guide many along and give me and them a sporting chance to try and pass this. T-h-a-n-k Y-o-u
  • Irfan437
    Lindi said:

I'm getting more scared by the minute at reading more and more posts on the forums about unfair synoptic testing. I'm sitting mine on Wednesday and even though I'm constantly revising, practising I am worried that my brain won't work fast enough to answer all the questions in 3 hours. If anyone at all can give any advice on the style of questions asked that would help and guide many along and give me and them a sporting chance to try and pass this. T-h-a-n-k Y-o-u

What if Analysis, lifecycle costing, target costing, performance indicators, functional budgets, revising standards
  • kjmusty
    kjmusty Registered Posts: 4
    All the BBP practice assessments and the two AAT online sample assessments seem to follow the same structure in the questions they ask, surely the live assessment doesn't vary from these?
    1) Multiple Choice
    2) Analyse and comment on a budget
    3) Identify 5 weaknesses in a payroll/sales/purchasing dept.
    4) Decision & Control Type question
    5) Ratio analysis
    6) SWOT style question
  • busydays
    busydays Registered Posts: 12
    I've scraped by with 71%. I'm relieved I passed but my other results have all been over 90% so it's not great. I booked a resit weeks ago so I'll try again this coming week but can't imagine I'll do much better.
  • ShivaniC
    > @Irfan437 said:
    > Another issue is regarding the name of Synoptic unit it's not only Synoptic in it, Accounting systems and control is also a part of it which is completely missing when they announced the assessment results I think accounting systems and control part should be mentioned in our transcript when AAT certificates of Professional Diploma are issued.
    > Please provide your opinion on this Thanks

Not sure what the issue is with this but when you find your online result there's a "statement of achievement" and when you click on that it shows the ASYS/ISYS is a part of it. I'm sure it doesn't make that much of a difference considering this replaces the unit.
  • ShivaniC
    > @MissHermansen said:
    > AAT simply cannot ignore this! So many students are feeling let down and disgruntled. At this rate I would not recommend AAT as a study route to anyone. It is absolutely crushing when you put great effort in and do all you possibly can to prepare only to be met with vague exam questions not remotely similar to the study material provided. The written questions are also marked very harshly without giving us clear guidance on how to answer the way they want us to!
    >
    > With you on this, especially with it running for the first time there aren't even previous years we can use revision material from. The lack of it is discouraging.
    >
    > really hope they take some action, on these new standards as a whole and if they require students to know more they should equip us well enough to pass this.
    >
    > I'm trying to study for my business tax exam on Wednesday but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. It seems no matter how much you prepare for the exams they can hit you with unexpected questions. I have lost all faith in AAT..
    >
    >
    >
    > good luck!! I have my BTAX on the 18th and to be honest i've lost faith and motivation too.. contemplating the reasons i put so much effort in when it hasnt paid off in my pdsy result.
    >
    > I emailed AAT, waiting for a reply.
    >
    > Try not to let this hinder you.. We have come this far so giving up isn't an optional, although I wish I had chosen an alternative study route. I'm glad to hear you've put a complaint in as well.. The more of us speak up the more they are forced to listen. Good luck for the 18th :)

I suppose so but it's very frustrating when you work so hard for something and the result lets you down. I can understand AAT wanting this to be challenging but surely not to the point where so many people are failing & getting low grades whether or not they are usually high achiever!
  • ShivaniC
    > @busydays said:
    > I've scraped by with 71%. I'm relieved I passed but my other results have all been over 90% so it's not great. I booked a resit weeks ago so I'll try again this coming week but can't imagine I'll do much better.

Wow!!
    That's amazing scores, but I would speak to AAT first surely achieving so highly previously it's not possible to get such a low mark.

Good luck for your retake.
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    There is power in numbers, and the AAT rely heavily on feedback from its stakeholders - training providers and students alike. I'm not sure about this but on one of the training provider's websites it says they tend to take the resit's results, not as in many standard exams the better of the two - so bear this in mind when you're resitting, especially in this current climate where the exams sound to be a little out of this world...
Privacy Policy