Levels 3 and 4 Synoptic success rates

Options
AlisonSwanson
AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
When will success rates be released for these assessments please?

Comments

• Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    Options
    level three results seem an absolute car crash
    you will be aware the failures have been offered a free retake and fifty quid

AAT seem to have set us all up to fail - which is kinda odd as there is an economic consequence for them

there must be some level 3 successes out there - can anyone hear the loud cries of 'yay!' ?
  • Mike Webster
    Mike Webster Registered, Tutor Posts: 203 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Options
    having looked at the feedback for all of our AVSY learners, I think there is a massive problem (see my post here )

I've just spotted another problem where one learner had a much better task by task profile yet achieved less marks than another. What is going on? Is there any standardisation of marking taking place? Who is externally verifying these results?
    Michael JH Webster AATQB FMAAT
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    well I think it is time to publish my open letter of June 5th
    an exam shouldhave content validity - I dont think testing on excel is valid for accounting
    and intra observer validity - if examiner A passes a set and examiners B does then the set should bear a resemblance to each ( same set of people almost )
    and interpersonal validity - if you pass in Jan then a reasonable proportion should pass a similar exam in July. Now read on

No one on this thread will be surprised to hear that I got an anodyne reply

Sticklers will notice I make and admission against interest ( I crashed on q2 but by that time it didnt make much difference )

Hello AAT June 4 2017

Another email on Level 3 Synoptic

Very negative opinions directly after the exam which I took at The Manchester College. (St Johns College Quay Street) It may be worth emailing others for their own opinion.

Part 1 was OK and everyone had a good go at the questions, which were do-able – and had relevance. That is the questions had some bearing to the course material we had studied over the year and we had been pointed to the relevant materials which we could read and assimilate

Part 2. it is hard to describe how pointless the questions were. That is there was in my opinion, no content validity. Marks were to be awarded for pointless activities of no value – colouring cells pink and expressing value in bold green. so what ? Well the answer is that it shows you know where the toggles to do it are – yes but so what ?

Alt- ctl-tab didnt work and so for one question, I lost all that I had done – this was where a re-downloaded excel file a second time will rewrite over the one you had been working on. Actually I understood and carried out so little completed it didnt really matter. I am told my invigilator made a record of this

Another task on overtime hours using a matrix organization I had never seen before and wouldnt think of using ever. The mathematical manipulations were so strange, the instructions were incomprehensible =- the outcomes as described but stupid or pointless in fact and never usable in the real world. Obviously the question re-arose – is this what they want ? Clearly mistaking the meaning of the question and writing an inappropriate answer will score nothing.

so for six marks – I sat there thinking – I have NO idea what they want me to do or why the figures they want are usable in any industry. Another was on an ETB but not in any way I had seen in a text book or on the course.

Uploading the answers was a nightmare – I was careful to divide the exam into thirty minute sections and upload the task whether or not I had finished it. There was no message at all at any time that uploading was successful or had failed. So I attempted to upload at 30 mins 60 mins and 90 m. By the end of Task 2 I actually didnt care if I had uploaded successfully or not – and was getting bored with reading a script I couldnt understand. By this time I was near to writing insulting remarks on the excel script – such as “ why dont you ask questions people can understand ?”

Others followed the instructions and got nowhere. A third tried to use the final fifteen minutes to upload and failed to – I had realised that this was a possibility but insured against it but at the cost of not being able to go back to previous questions.

The whole experience fo taking the level 3 synoptic was demoralising depressing and useless. There were a few “danger” signs from last night
    boredom DURING the examination – on being faced with yet another totally incomprehensible question,
    and also £4000 is a lot to pay next year for another year of THIS !
    So there are lessons we the payers can learn. – don’t do level 3 – “you get an incomprehensible exam at the end which you all fail” after paying up front £1,000.

The overall difficulty is that AAT have tried a big-bang change in examinations and havent piloted it, but just said –”oh they ought to be able to do this” without finding out whether anyone could. So this is not argument that level 3 should not have a synoptic exam – but one that says a synoptic exam should be – synoptic. There is also a reasonable expectation that when one enters into the contract for the course, the exams set for the course will be attemptable.

What has happened is this is a classical drawback of big-bang changes and is a good reason why changes should be incremental. It may be worth emailing other candidates to see what their views are. I am not sure if any would have the energy to reply . £4000 seems a lot of money to pay for a further course structured as this – that is a course like this is NOT value for money. At present I would tell people Level 3 is NOT fit for purposes and they should do something else. ( like pay 75p for a Dickens novel and read it: that WOULD be value for money – the buyer’s English would improve )
    so bad I dont think it is worth paying fifty pounds for a retake – more of the same ? No thank you!

So in short I am saying: 1 – the synoptic exam lacked content validity that is it didn’t measure what it was meant to measure. It measured something else which is not part of accounting skills. AAt was clearly told that there was not enough time to complete the tasks in Part 2 – but an exam should not be measuring this sort of thing – we knew over half would not be able to complete it and this exam measure has been more than adequately filled. Every candidate now knows they may be given tasks they cannot possibly answer.

Finally AAT should also pay attention to intrapersonal validity – if there are a large set of exam scores of 4 passes and one final failure ( such as 90 90 85 90 55) then they should look at whether that final exam measures anything valid. This principle is the one that says that any two exams should pass roughly the same set of people.

This email is in no way private and can be used as feedback for a candidates view of the synoptic exam

Oliver Dearlove

The conclusion of this email is that the level 3 symoptic exam was not fit for purpose
    And that AAT had been given warning previously about this. This raises questions about whether the candidates were given misrepresentations about fees at the beginning of the course

Secondly that given their experiences that Level 3 is not fit for purpose that anyone thinking about AAT level 4 at Four thousand a throw – should think again ! and having done so go elsewhere

• AlisonSwanson
    AlisonSwanson Registered, Tutor Posts: 209
    Options
    We have frequently found that the task profiles do not match the scores awarded, and not just in the current AQ16 assessments.
  • dahlia
    dahlia Registered Posts: 24
    Options

having looked at the feedback for all of our AVSY learners, I think there is a massive problem (see my post here )

I'm interested to read your take on this, but don't have permission. Would you mind posting it over on this thread @Mike Webster? Thanks!
    P.S. Sitting it on Friday :#
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    Good luck Daylz - you'll need it !
    Remember Part 1 is relatively straightforward so revise in the usual way for that
    Part 2 - divide the 90 mins into 30 m slots and upload your answers on the dot (30,60,90) - that way you will have uploaded 2/3 of the paper if anything goes wrong - in good acct speak - you trade certainty of uploading for the chance to revise q 1 and q2 later on

In terms of feedback - if you anonymise the information - then you can share it - identifiable data should be erased. So if John SMith says " this exam is useless" there is no reason why you should say one candidate found it useless....
  • dahlia
    dahlia Registered Posts: 24
    Options
    Thanks @Multiplicator- I can use as much luck as I can get! ;)
  • sky10
    sky10 Registered Posts: 1
    edited July 2017
    Options
    I had my exam yesterday and had so many issues with spreadsheet. When i started, i couldnt open the spreadsheet i had saved. Invigilator had to contact AAT and get advise. While uploading it back, again had issues and it wouldnt upload. I hated how excel questions are on the first worksheet and having to click between sheets to read questions and then answer on another one. Questions should be visible at all times rather than clicking to read every single line. I couldnt finish all three questions due to issues and lack of time. Invigilator said that she will let AAT know that i had issues during the exam. Worse thing is results are going to take so long to come and i dont know where i stand. I would hate to resit this exam.
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    Hi Sky 10 - sorry you paid for a course that ended badly
    You are in a much stronger legal position to give them hell than we did as they have now had notice and repeated their sins. - so do so! It is clear AAT ( like BA or BP or West Ken council) wont learn unless you kick them into the economic grollocks.

The exam isnt fit for purpose which actually they are under a duty to do ( = must do)
    and so demand ( not ask) a retake and ask for your money back for the whole course. it is obvious that if you had been told this would happen, you would not have paid the fee for a car crash course

It doesnt look as tho change will occur ( since you have had more of the same that we had) unless you and your cohort act.

I am going for a retake ( no date of course) and have abandoned plans to do Level 4 - I am able to do so as I am 65 and retired - I am aware others are stuck in a career progression path which has stalled and may not have the options to bale that I have.
  • steveaich
    steveaich Registered Posts: 3
    Options
    I know I'm not going to be popular but the questions on Excel are both valid and should be useful to a future career in finance. I passed the exam fairly easily, probably because of previous experience in using excel in a financial role both in running my own businesses and as an employee. While maybe not so valid to 'practice' being able to use excel properly in industry is important, and that includes highlighting and formatting so that information is easily digestible to non finance people.

Three tasks in 1hr 45 was easily doable, I spent 20 mins trying to get a vlookup to work as expected and still completed all the tasks including uploading within the timescale. (I didn't figure it out, although two minutes with google afterwards indicated where I'd gone wrong)

Having the question/instructions on a separate tab isn't a great solution and for those who had technical problems I can understand your frustration, but I don't understand the anger about relevance or content.
  • Multiplicator
    Options
    well we had different questions Steve and well done for passing
    No I can do VLookup and found the rest difficult -the fact that you couldnt do VLOOKUP means that you dont use it in your everyday work and dont encounter it everyday -. My everyday often encountered work problem also involved an ethical employer who wanted to make sure his workers were EWTD compliant . I sat there with my mouth open as I scanned it and thought 'no it is an UNethical employer and they have dragged PETH somehow into spreadsheets'. Yeah as an exNHS employee you meet ethical employers everyday. My real employer ( everyday NHS ) was trying to get junior doctors to LIE about their hours - so if the question had been about that I would have had no problem at all !

anyway well done steve - you can pass onto Level 4 and undergo exactly the same experience in 2018. I note you spent 20m on VL, 15m to upload, so that was 70m to do three questions - 23 mins to do each question. The rest of us ....

Sky 10 - I only used alt-ctl-tab once and it crashed - so I kept Excel on the little square (reduced) setting so a little of the upload-download page was framed around the excel and you could click on it to summon it up. I do this alot everyday when I am writing in real life in Word and Wxcel. Also use "split frame" to flip between various pages in excel, wh I never do but it worked well.
  • annvboys
    annvboys Registered Posts: 53
    Options
    thanks for the tips Multiplicator.
    Nobody doubts excel is useful - I'm a lifelong fan and utter excel nerd - but it is not accountancy and should NOT be part of an accountancy exam. I hope I'm as lucky as you steveaich with my questions and lack of technical hitches.
  • emma1611
    emma1611 Registered Posts: 1
    Options
    Fortunately for me, I decided to stay on 2013 standards in order to complete my level 3. I cannot understand the AAT who state that we should as members abide by our fundamental principles, one of which is professional competence and due care. One of the threats to the ethical principle is time pressure and they state that you must not complete an assignment without getting extra time to help you complete it diligently and in accordance with professional standards. Therefore does the ethical principle of due care only apply when we do assignments or carry out a role for a client or an employer and updating your technical competencies to produce accurate information and work again for clients or an employer, however when it comes to the student accountant doing there training, sitting exams and supposedly safeguarding threats the AAT appear to be creating them and in my opinion this seem to be a little discriminatory approach in there thinking and approach to these synoptic examinations.
Privacy Policy