Can you still pass if you didn't finish task 3 of spreadsheets?

Hi guys,

I just re-took my advanced synoptic. I feel I did really well in the first exam. However, with the spreadsheets section I spent so long trying to work out silly things like how to change the colour of grid lines that I only did part 1 of the 3rd task before my time ran out. I uploaded task 1 and 2 with only a couple of errors I knew about. My tutor advises me that if I didn't attempt all questions then it's unlikely I will pass. Does anyone know anyone who passed without completing one of the excel tasks?
It will be really frustrating if I fail because of spreadsheets. I would be fine re-taking just that exam. But I would have to retake the first exam, which I would have effectively passed twice. And the revision for that is hell considering you have to revise every section of every module because anything can come up!

Comments

• dahlia
    dahlia Registered Posts: 24
    This is a tough one to answer because it depends on how much of the other tasks you got correct. Do you remember how many points the task you missed was worth? In principle, if the task is less than 30% of total marks, it is possible that you still pass, that is if you got pretty much all other tasks correct. You only need 70% overall to pass. Hope this helps!
  • Spanz85
    Spanz85 Registered Posts: 13
    Thank you for your comment.

The whole second section is worth 40%. So if it is divided into 3 parts then I'm guessing the part I missed was worth 13.33%. But my tutor says you must attempt every question!
  • dahlia
    Spanz85 said:

But my tutor says you must attempt every question!

Hmm... that's not how I understand it works... can anyone, a Tutor perhaps, please confirm?

• Spanz85
    Spanz85 Registered Posts: 13
    I've just checked and the last part is worth 14%. Hypothetically, if I answered 90% correctly of the other 86% that would give 77%. Surely if I gained 77% I would not automatically fail regardless because I missed a 14% task...
  • Kc1
    Kc1 Registered Posts: 11
    I had my exam today. I missed half of the spreadsheets exam. I'm guessing I failed.
  • dahlia
    @Spanz85- I sure hope you've done enough right in the other tasks to pass, good luck!
    You too @Kc1!
  • Kc1
    Kc1 Registered Posts: 11
    edited July 2017
    Good luck to everyone, this will be the longest 6 weeks of our life's lol
  • Irrorate
    Irrorate Registered Posts: 139
    Spanz85 said:

I've just checked and the last part is worth 14%. Hypothetically, if I answered 90% correctly of the other 86% that would give 77%. Surely if I gained 77% I would not automatically fail regardless because I missed a 14% task...

No you won't. You only need to achieve 70% overall - it does not matter where you scored the marks or what you left blank. As long as you hit 70% total across both units you've passed.
  • Mike Webster
    Mike Webster Registered, Tutor Posts: 203 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Weighting for tasks in the Advanced Diploma synoptic assessment is as follows:

Task/Weighting

1/15%

2/16%

3/14%

4/15%

5/10%

6/16%

7/14%

Having seen how some results have come in, there is no reason to suspect that, just because you haven't completed task 7, you will fail the assessment. However, as your tutor says, you should attempt every task.
    Michael JH Webster AATQB FMAAT
  • chris_nuttall
    chris_nuttall Registered Posts: 10
    You should be fine providing you got 70% or better overall. If you lefty question 3 out let's face it with all the technical problems there has been with this exam. Can the AAT honestly say you didn't attempt it and there was no problems with uploading the task?
  • Multiplicator
    Multiplicator Registered Posts: 116
    anyway good luck Spanz

as far as I can see you can pass so long as you dont drop more than 16 marks from the rest of the paper - and then you can do Level 4 you lucky lucky fellow !
  • sophieasmith93
    sophieasmith93 Registered Posts: 1
    Hi I got my results just over a week ago and I didn't even get chance to start the 3rd spreadsheet and I still passed. only got 72% but it is possible.
  • Ellada
    Ellada Registered Posts: 43
    I think I've made some mistakes in calculations on Excel part. So, lets say I've done Pivot table but with wrong data (instead of net I put gross). How many marks I can loose?
  • janeW
    janeW Registered Posts: 25
    Yes it is possible to pass without uploading task 3. I had answered approx 50% of task 3 but had issue uploading and exam timed out before I could resolve it. I passed with 77% without task 3 so now achieved a merit instead of distinction. 88% overall 2% off the distinction I was hoping and worked so hard for, but I passed so good luck to everyone it can be done even if you dont complete the exam.
  • salma1011
    salma1011 Registered Posts: 41
    Me too didn t do question 2:3 as technical issues lost 20 minutes. Done all part 1 and couldn t do both last question of 2:1 and 2:2 and passed
  • janeW
    Well done Salma you must of smashed the rest of the exam.
  • Ellada
    I have to re-sit my exam on 23rd Sept. First time failed with 68%. So, revising as best as I can...
  • Ellada
    edited September 2017
    By the way, Im not taking L 4 but because of re-sit I paid £94 AAT membership plus £51 for re-sit...
  • janeW
    I held off on renewing my membership until I received my result. If I had failed I too would of had to renew my membership, although I have heard on another forum AAT will allow you to resit without renewing your membership. But, as I say, that is hearsay so could be completely untrue.
  • salma1011
    Thanks JaneW. You should have asked AAT to extend your membership therefore you will not have paid £94. I have read on the AAT s forum that you have this option.
  • salma1011
    Thanks JaneW. You should have asked AAT to extend your membership therefore you will not have paid £94. I have read on the AAT s forum that you have this option.
  • salma1011
    AAT membership fees are not the same for everyone?????
  • Ellada
    My membership expired 1.09.17. Had my exam result at the end of August. I called AAT, they've said, if I will re-sit my exam 6.09.17, I don't need to renew my membership. But because I need a bit more time for preparation, I booked my exam for the end of Sept and paid membership. I tried to argue with AAT. No result..Paid, that's it! I just so tired with this final exam.... I want to pass it finally.
  • Mandyh
    Mandyh Registered Posts: 8
    I was unable to answer any of Q1 on spreadsheets but still passed with 77%
Privacy Policy