MDCL - 15 July exam at 10 am horrendous, AAT have not done nothing to change it

I sat my exam this morning, its been second time when im trying, and i was so disappointed with the questions they have prepared for us and not enough time to answer for all, i felt so much pressure and i left room almost crying, i could not worked out for couple of questions, did not know how to even started, i can say i was good prepared for it and i do understand all, but im really disappointed that they want student to not pass it - it is not easy! 10 questions in 2.5 hours - impossible! I thought AAT changed something toward this exam but i can see there was no difference between when i sat first time in May and today.

Comments

• Fellini
    Fellini Registered Posts: 8
    Hi, I feel exactly the same, I'm still sooo angry. I thought I was really well prepared, worked through all the mock exams and all the other study help available on the AAT website, but nothing prepared me for this!!! It was a real shock! And the worst thing is, I have no idea how to prepare for when I'm re-sitting this exam. There are no exam style questions anywhere on the AAT website. I think they have to update their mock exams and I will definitely send an email to the AAT and complain. Ok, I feel a bit better now :p
  • Paulasw1
    Paulasw1 Registered Posts: 23
    well there is so many people who is in the same situation, i'm not genius and there is no enough time to answer all this question. Aat has done nothing, since people start complaining. i understand the subject but i didn't know how aat want me to answer for given questions on the exam. I'm so upset with them :(
    have you tried green line test ?
  • Fellini
    I haven't done the green light test. I did them in preparation to my other two exams (which I passed with no problem) and didn't find them a massive help. I don't think it would've made a difference to the exam on Saturday. AAT really have to put better study material online, otherwise people will keep failing this exam. I just don't understand what their problem is. The mock exams for the Budgeting and Financial statements were very similar to the actual assessment. Why is it so hard to do the same with this one? It's just very frustrating.
  • Paulasw1
    yes you are right, i already put complain about saturday exam because this put me down, and i have no motivation if they will continue like that. For me they should create a question to check your knowledge not if we lucky to answer their question taken from ''cosmos''.
    Do you remember where did you stuck on the exam?
  • Fellini
    Well, it started with Task 1 I think and it didn't get any better. I just sent a complaint to AAT, let's see what they say.
  • JaneMarie
    JaneMarie Registered Posts: 6
    Hi, Felt the same way. Flagged task 1, then task 2 and once I got half way through and realised I had lost any chance of the distinction I had worked so hard for I pretty much slowed down to a stop !!!
    However, found out later that although the paper has not been changed 10% is added to your result prior to marking.
    Hope this eases the pain of the wait for results.

Good luck.
  • Paulasw1
    Aat don't care it's all about money for them to not passing it, but let's see what they will reply to our complains.
  • Paulasw1
    Hey please see below what Aat replied to my query:
    "It is certainly not the intention of AAT to design assessments which students will fail due to their level of demand"
    Also has anyone noticed that they change sample assessment on their website.
    they did that after my exam , if they would post it earlier this would help me a lot during an exam!
  • Charley1995
    Charley1995 Registered Posts: 16
    Did any of you guys pass I sat my exam of the 14th and as expected i failed with 69%. This was my second time taking this exam. I studied extremely hard for this exam and don't know what more I could have done
  • badger636
    badger636 Registered Posts: 12
    Hi all, did anyone actually pass this exam in the end? I took it yesterday and it was a joke really, I knew the subject as I was shown it, but the questions were so hard it was ridiculous, I know I've failed it
  • Fellini
    Hi, I felt exactly the same. I re-sat the exam and failed a second time with 68% :-( I felt a bit better the second time as I knew what to expect, but it wasn't quite enough. So I hope I'm going to be third time lucky. All you can do is try to remember the questions you struggled with to be prepared for a possible re-sit.
  • dee21
    dee21 Registered Posts: 12
    I have also failed this exam twice. AAT were no help when I called, I was very confident in the exam the second time , disappointed is not the word. The real exam is nothing like the mocks and also there is not enough time. I have spent week studying but I have lost hope.
  • badger636
    badger636 Registered Posts: 12
    Thanks for your replies, and sorry to hear you are both still struggling. Its such a joke though isn't it, AAT really need to sort this out, the pass rate must be awful on MDCL compared to all the other exams at level 4 (apart from maybe the synoptic)
  • Paulasw1
    Hi. I lost hope too I have failed 3 times and I don't know what to do more as I think I was prepare good for this exam.
    Pass rate is really very low for MDCL, I cant believe I had 67% and with the 5 Excellent feedbacks!!!
    I have complained to The Office of Qualifications and Examinations Regulation (Ofqual), please do the same
  • dee21
    I am sitting my third attempt at this exam on Thursday. I have already complained to AAT about four weeks and was told I was the only student that had made on official complaint about the exam. Not feeling hopefully to pass on Thursday
  • thefuture
    thefuture Registered Posts: 16 New contributor 🐸
    Hi, I have just started studying this module and have been keeping a very close eye on the forum for information relating to this exam. Can someone explain in what way the exam does not relate to the mocks? Is there any terminology in the questions that is not covered by study manuals/AAT study support or is it just the formatting of the exam is different to the mocks, meaning extra time is needed to decipher the content before calculation?
  • Lulu21
    Lulu21 Registered Posts: 4
    I resat the MDCL exam tonight for the 4th time. This is a complete joke. The exam was horrendous. Absolutely nothing like the mocks, nothing like BPP or Osborne mocks either ! Nothing like my Kaplan book mock, so I have absolutely no idea where else to improve my revision. Nothing I did could have prepared me for that today. I will be putting my complaint into aat tomorrow. The last exam I did was close to the aat mock but the other three I did just as bad as this one. I just dont know how on earth this one is so bad when it doesn’t have to be.
  • dee21
    It took me three attempts to pass. Studying for my 3rd attempted I only used the Kaplan exam kit. it was great practice and got 79% third time around (after failing twice with 61% and 62%). @Lulu21 I was the same, had literally lost hope. I first sat this exam last May and only passed in December. Would recommend buying the Kaplan Exam kit.
  • Lulu21
    Lulu21 Registered Posts: 4
    thanks for the tip Dee. I wonder if any of the publishers have any idea what these exams look like. I will check the Kaplan exam kit - I already have the Kaplan text book. I have complained to AAT this morning and they said there was going to be another revision of this assessment and new mocks will be online from next week. Wish I knew this before! as I would have waited a couple more weeks to take my exam..
  • VS1
    VS1 Registered Posts: 71
    The worse bit is waiting 5 - 6 weeks for your results on top of being stressful and expensive sitting these exams.,
Privacy Policy