Level 4 Sypnotic Remark

Hi,

I've just got my level 4 Sypnotic results and got 68%! Is it worth getting it remarked? And how would I get it remarked?

Not sure I can go through the stress to get another 2-3 marks! Absolutely gutted.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• sharpy92
    sharpy92 Registered Posts: 52
    edited August 2017
    I think you have to appeal the results which costs £30 and they are not guaranteed to up the mark unfortunately. I am hoping they do the same as MCDC exam and uplift as from the looks of the forum not many have passed. I am sending a complaint email as I got 64% when the rest of my exams I have had in the region of 80% and found them easy.
  • lucia133
    lucia133 Registered Posts: 1
    I failed too, gutted, felt so comfortable when I left exam room, and got 65%. I feel like to complaining too. The questions were not even that clear and I just put down what I could remember.
  • marialucas
    marialucas Registered Posts: 49
    65% too :( and this was my last exam ...
  • tinkerbell0406
    tinkerbell0406 Registered Posts: 58
    I failed on 30th June and appealed. I knew they would not give me any more marks because they never do but i got more feedback. Basically i think that the sample questions are misleading they are not wanting to the point answers. It seems they want the direct answer and an explanation of that answer, just like you knew nothing about accounting. It seems they want you to write an essay for most answers so the samples and material that you study is very short of the mark. I intend to re take in September but it has not been a pleasant experience so far....
  • lannieloo
    lannieloo Registered Posts: 95
    I failed by 2% on the march sitting. I complained and appealed and got no where.
    My advice is to study the audit unit. Because much of the exam is based around internal controls and so this unit is really helpful. So I sat the audit classes but revised the synoptic exam papers and then sat both the synoptic exam and audit exam back to back and got 88% synoptic and 81% audit. (I didn't even need audit as I had passed both tax optional units)
    I think i wasted a lot of mental effort trying to fight my initial fail which was just a waste of energy :(
    One of the worst things for me was in my initial exam it kept using the word BRIEFLY explain, but the feedback I got was my answer wasn't in depth enough, do another thing I would say is just say everything! :) good luck I feel your frustration :)
  • Megan1
    Megan1 Registered Posts: 25
    @Iannieloo
    Thanks for sharing your experience and advice.
  • steady88
    steady88 Registered Posts: 25
    I was wondering, how long did it take to get feedback when you appealed? I got 62% and have booked to resit 27th September, and if I can get feedback before then it can help me to prepare. Then hopefully my level 4 will be fully completed.
  • tinkerbell0406
    tinkerbell0406 Registered Posts: 58
    4 weeks and it costs £30....usually its around 15 day.
  • lannieloo
    It was 20 working days, however they took 21 because they were confused sbout how many bank holidays there has been!! And they also made a mistake in the wording of my feedback because they told me I had got the question regarding appointment of auditors wrong, but the question was reappointment of auditors, sounds petty I know but if it had been appointment I would have got it right and that would have been the difference between a pass and a fail. So I was just so cross that they could get mixed up on days and make mistakes but we cant! I guess was trying everything not to have to sit it again!
    I didn't find the feedback that helpful to be honest, but I did buy more books for more practise exams and they do tend to follow a similar trend.
    I defo recommend studying the auditing unit first, which is silly I know as auditing is an extra unit! But it did help me.
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    lannieloo said:

It was 20 working days, however they took 21 because they were confused sbout how many bank holidays there has been!! And they also made a mistake in the wording of my feedback because they told me I had got the question regarding appointment of auditors wrong, but the question was reappointment of auditors, sounds petty I know but if it had been appointment I would have got it right and that would have been the difference between a pass and a fail. So I was just so cross that they could get mixed up on days and make mistakes but we cant! I guess was trying everything not to have to sit it again!

I didn't find the feedback that helpful to be honest, but I did buy more books for more practise exams and they do tend to follow a similar trend.

I defo recommend studying the auditing unit first, which is silly I know as auditing is an extra unit! But it did help me.

@lannieloo: which books do you recommend? I failed and got 66%. I am gutted as I've put everything into this and gave my best. I used the Kaplan study kit, if you could recommend any others that would be helpful. I'll have to book in for the next one now, which is December...

• Lindi
    Correction I've just found one at the end of September... perhaps I can book in for that one.
  • lannieloo
    I got the bpp books first, then I got the Kaplan books too... then studied the audit books... the first time I sat it I went right through the bpp question back and totally refreshed myself on everything however don't waste your time doing this as it's not needed!! Read the books even though they are the most boring books ever and I fell asleep a lot of the time! However I do feel a combo of reading sooo much and doing loads of practice papers helped! Do as many practise papers as you can as they do follow a pattern.
  • Lindi
    I have done all the Osborne practice ones as they have a book of them but as with Osborne, it's all very repetitive. Then I've worked through the study book and exam kit of Kaplan, I studied the internal controls to the nth degree, and in my assessment I elaborated on these, referring to them and relating it to the scenario. The pre release material was a useless tool and waste of time as the pop up tables did not resemble the layout of the booklet in any way, and there were completely different scenarios. Still I felt as if I got my knowledge across, and now I have failed. Anyway, being positive, I've asked AAT what to do, remark or feedback. I am mindful that if they remark the new mark will take precedent, so if it's worse than 66% I'm doubly doomed. I'm considering investing in further tutoring on the subject, though no-one seems to know what to expect, even the experts! Thanks for your guidance and advice :-)
  • marialucas
    Has anyone got the feedback sheet from AAT? usually my tutor provides us with it but unfortunately he won't access to his emails until September.
  • JayKallee
    JayKallee Registered, Tutor Posts: 92
    edited August 2017

Has anyone got the feedback sheet from AAT? usually my tutor provides us with it but unfortunately he won't access to his emails until September.

Yes, I have emailed my NYC students their feedback sheet. Its the usual feedback you get for all other units. Is there anyone from your Training provider who can do this?

• marialucas
    JayKallee said:

Yes, I have emailed my NYC students their feedback sheet. Its the usual feedback you get for all other units. Is there anyone from your Training provider who can do this?

Thanks JayKallee, my tutor has emailed did email me at the end.
  • Awlad_Miah
    Awlad_Miah Registered Posts: 6
    If I am making an appeal how do I pay for the £30 fee?
    I need to appeal for my Business Tax Exam.
  • sarahdavies17
    sarahdavies17 Registered Posts: 2
    Hi, I failed first time with 66%, having between 95%-81% in every other exam. I appealed because I had a question on factoring which my tutor said should not have been covered. Their answer was to deny that I even had the question! Very disappointed with AAT over the whole synoptic experience and refused to resit immediately as I thought I would be in the same boat as I still did not know how to tackle it. I have read now that studying Auditing will help. Can someone tell me how to access this, Is it on AAt or what is the best book to get my hands on??
  • marialucas

Hi, I failed first time with 66%, having between 95%-81% in every other exam. I appealed because I had a question on factoring which my tutor said should not have been covered. Their answer was to deny that I even had the question! Very disappointed with AAT over the whole synoptic experience and refused to resit immediately as I thought I would be in the same boat as I still did not know how to tackle it. I have read now that studying Auditing will help. Can someone tell me how to access this, Is it on AAt or what is the best book to get my hands on??

Did you study with Osborne Books?
  • Lindi
    The only Auditing I can see is External Auditing. I have contacted First Intuition to ask about their Synoptic training module. I personally concentrated on the Internal Controls, which our college did not even cover in any way yet it was listed as a mandatory unit. Even though I felt I had explained and displayed a thorough understanding I still missed the pass mark by 4%. If you find out how to appeal please post here as I'd also like to know. I have sent them an email via their Contact Us page but the automated response highlighted longer waiting times for Synoptic queries... wonder why...
  • sarahdavies17
    sarahdavies17 Registered Posts: 2
    I studied with Kaplan books but I have just found out that BPP have a good one for the synoptic called 'Accounting systems and controls' so i am thinking of getting that. I am not going to resit until December because I am hoping by then that there will be more feedback and material available. I did not officially appeal but send a lengthy complaint email and had a response about 3 weeks later saying they are not planning an up lift or a review of the exam. However my tutor put an official appeal in over my question on factoring, which they also rejected. My classmates about 5 of them resat it all all afiled apart from 1, some getting a worst score.
  • Lindi
    I have read that there's only one initial and one resit possible in any 24 month period - can someone confirm? Thank you!
  • JayKallee
    Lindi said:

I have read that there's only one initial and one resit possible in any 24 month period - can someone confirm? Thank you!

Where did you read that Lindi? As a tutor, I have not come across this.

• fournaanjez
    fournaanjez Registered Posts: 32
    JayKallee said:

Lindi said:

Where did you read that Lindi? As a tutor, I have not come across this.

https://www.aat.org.uk/training/aq2016/update
  • Lindi
    Thank you I feel a little better now. Multiple opportunities - feels a bit like a driving test - luck on the day kind of thing
  • JayKallee
    @fournaanjez @Lindi
    These restrictions only apply to 16-19 year olds, see extract from your link. We do not have this age group in our college.

" Re-sit restrictions
    Students living within the UK (excluding Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) aged between 16-19 years old, in full-time study and studying one of the below qualifications will be limited in the number of re-sits that can be taken: "
  • Atahar01
    Atahar01 Registered Posts: 14
    Do any of y'll have any advice for Level 4 in general in particular budgeting and decision & control?
Privacy Policy