Level 4 registration - Does the AAT check every students' criminal record?

Hi,

I am about to register for Level 4.
Does the AAT check every students' criminal record systematically, or only if they want to become full members?

Thank you

Comments

• CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    They will check your criminal record but it all depends on what it is for. I'm sure you will be able to explain to them if it is something that wouldn't affect your career in finance. However if it was something like fraud for example, then I would have thought it would be unlikely you would be able to be a member.

I hope this helps. It might be worth giving them a call as all convictions are unique.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • fabby494
    fabby494 Registered Posts: 4
    Thank you. My offence is not money related at all. I committed an act of Public Indecency by urinating in a park, taken to court and convicted to 24 month probation. I am on a course. Actually this offence did not even lead to me having to sign the Sex Offender Register whatsoever.

You see, when I registered to the course at the college, on the application form it was asked to disclose only "relevant" convictions:

Do you have any relevant* unspent+ criminal convictions? Yes No
    * Relevant convictions means convictions for offences:
    • against the person, whether of a violent or a sexual nature
    • involving the unlawful supply or use of controlled drugs or substances where the conviction concerns commercial
    drug dealing or trafficking

Therefore, I don't think I should tell the AAT about my conviction, since it is not money related (not RELEVANT), and the college doesn't ask about it, and nether does the HMRC on the 24+ Loan registration (I got the loan accepted)...

Can you please confirm?

Thank you very much.

• douglasstroud
    douglasstroud Registered Posts: 295 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    I think you have just told everybody!
  • fabby494
    Can I PLEASE get a serious answer and not a joke from someone who doesn't seem to care?
    Or maybe someday you'll see what it feels like to get sent to court for a pee in a park... not fun, believe me!
  • CSan89
    Here is the AAT policy on criminal convictions:
    https://aat.org.uk/prod/s3fs-public/assets/Criminal-Convictions-policy.pdf?YuTDPLimKVWlZ2EWLBz1OZ76lLEFl3HM
    It looks like only 'spent' convictions and motor offences by way of fixed penalty notices can not be declared.

12. Applicants do not need to declare spent criminal convictions, or any road traffic offence which was
    dealt with by way of fixed penalty notice.

I would suggest that you declare it and see what happens as it dosent seem to fall under these convictions

13. AAT will not, under any circumstances, approve an application for membership from an applicant
    with an unspent criminal conviction in which any of the following factors exist:
    a) serious organised crime, including drug offences, human trafficking and immigration offences,
    and/or offences under the Terrorism Act 2000
    b) financial crime, including money laundering offences (or an indication thereof in the context of
    another conviction), fraud and theft
    c) dishonesty
    d) abuse of position.

If you don't declare it and they find out then I wouldn't be surprised if you get struck off for a false declaration.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017

ACA/CTA -
  • fabby494
    Thank you CSan89.
    I just called the AAT during my break and I spoke to a very helpful lady. She explained that I should disclose my conviction (rather than them finding out later, as you said) and when I told here what it was, she reassured me that this would not be a problem for me doing my course.

I feel better now.
    Thanks again.
  • CSan89
    I'm glad that you are able to carry on studying AAT.

Good Luck for level 4.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017

ACA/CTA -
  • ChrisJ30
    ChrisJ30 Registered Posts: 93 New contributor 🐸
    All the best with your studies! :)
Privacy Policy