Difference between 2013 and 2016

Hi,

I have currently been studying AAQ 2013 for the past few months, not realizing that it stops on December 31st so am unable to complete to 2013 exams in time.

What does this mean for me? Is there a great difference between 2013/2016 which would mean I would have to start studying again?

Also, I am 25 and looking at coming into this area with no experience, what are the prospects like for someone of my age with little experience?

Thanks,

Comments

• RebekahB
    RebekahB Registered Posts: 35
    I am the same around the same age with no experience and coming to this as a new subject.
    I would go and do the skills check on the AAT website and see where you are and what level you should go and study next
  • RebekahB
    RebekahB Registered Posts: 35
    Ive also read on another forum that you can use your credits from AAQ2013 to move over to AAQ2016 , how far did you get?
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    AQ2013-AQ2016

Your 2013 will transfer with exception to the subjects that have been consumed by the snoptic assesment.

Which level are you on currently?

Career Change

I was 26 when i started my AAT journey 2 years ago. Even though I feel old pushing 30, we are still quite young :lol:
    I'm not going to lie and say its easy to get into a finance job with no experience but it isn't impossible. Before accounting, I worked in a supermarket.

Find local accountants and see if you can do some work experience for them, go to AAT networking events, go into accountancy practices and hand your CV in rather than through agency sites (i'm sure most of them are fake adverts anyway).
    I managed to find an accountant near the end of level 3, that was willing to take me on after doing work experience at a different accountants.

I'm now on my first subject of the ACA qualification which is being paid for by my employer.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • ncraggs
    ncraggs Registered, Tutor Posts: 70 New contributor 🐸
    edited December 2017
    We did a webinar on your options for moving over from AQ2013 to AQ2016, which you might find useful, here
    AAT Distance Learning Director First Intuition www.fi.co.uk
  • SheffieldTom
    SheffieldTom Registered Posts: 25
    Rebekah B - Still working through Level 2 and hope to have the exams part done by July all being well.

CSan89 - Currently Level 2. Wanted to get exams done but realized 2013 finished in Dec so had to double check whether what I was doing was still relevant.

I'm going to look at getting some experience in the school holidays, hopefully this will help. How are you finding it? I hear different reviews about accounting, some say it's good/some say it's boring?

Thanks for your replies
    Tom
  • SheffieldTom
    CSan89 said:

AQ2013-AQ2016

Your 2013 will transfer with exception to the subjects that have been consumed by the snoptic assesment.

Which level are you on currently?

Career Change

I was 26 when i started my AAT journey 2 years ago. Even though I feel old pushing 30, we are still quite young :lol:
    I'm not going to lie and say its easy to get into a finance job with no experience but it isn't impossible. Before accounting, I worked in a supermarket.

Find local accountants and see if you can do some work experience for them, go to AAT networking events, go into accountancy practices and hand your CV in rather than through agency sites (i'm sure most of them are fake adverts anyway).
    I managed to find an accountant near the end of level 3, that was willing to take me on after doing work experience at a different accountants.

I'm now on my first subject of the ACA qualification which is being paid for by my employer.

CSan89 - Currently Level 2. Wanted to get exams done but realized 2013 finished in Dec so had to double check whether what I was doing was still relevant.

I'm going to look at getting some experience in the school holidays, hopefully this will help. How are you finding it? I hear different reviews about accounting, some say it's good/some say it's boring?

Thanks for your replies
    Tom
  • CSan89
    CSan89 Registered Posts: 207
    Sounds like a good idea.

I really enjoy accountancy. It is quite repetitive at times but as I work in practice, the variety of clients makes the jobs interesting. If you find office work boring, then accountancy isn't for you. I have seen that some people travel to different clients but my role is solely office based.
    I think that as I have worked for 10 years in a supermarket, I appreciate that there are more boring and unappreciated jobs than accountancy so I enjoy it more. I also find it mentally stimulating which adds to the enjoyment.

Ask me in 20 years and it may be a different story. Haha.
    AAT Level 2&3 - 2016
    AAT Level 4 - 2017
    Personal Tax, Business Tax and External Auditing

ACA/CTA -
    Certificate Level - Jan 2019
  • SheffieldTom
    CSan89 said:

Sounds like a good idea.

I really enjoy accountancy. It is quite repetitive at times but as I work in practice, the variety of clients makes the jobs interesting. If you find office work boring, then accountancy isn't for you. I have seen that some people travel to different clients but my role is solely office based.
    I think that as I have worked for 10 years in a supermarket, I appreciate that there are more boring and unappreciated jobs than accountancy so I enjoy it more. I also find it mentally stimulating which adds to the enjoyment.

Ask me in 20 years and it may be a different story. Haha.

Thanks for your reply. I don't think it's that I'd find it boring, but I've never worked in an office environment. I went straight from Uni into working in a school so I've never really experience what you might call the 'normal working 9-5 life'. I too worked in a supermarket before my current job, wasn't a fan!

I too find working with numbers stimulating as I've been working within the Maths department so It's something I've always had an interest in.

Quick question, do you know which exams relate to which books? And where I might be able to find some online practice assessments?

Privacy Policy