Is 3 months enough time for Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping?

kontisto
kontisto Registered Posts: 15
I'm currently 2 months into studying the Foundation Certificate in Bookkeeping (Level 2) and I'm realising this course is way too short. I was thinking the same thing when I started the course at how fast it moves but shrugged it off as simply being out of education for a year. Now I know it definitely is.

Unless you have a permanent super focus on taking in stuff from the book, you are basically screwed.
I have my Transactions exam in a weeks time and I've only just started on Cash books. I have the Osborne books, which are black and white and dry as a Saharan night.

Usually chapters in most textbooks cover a single idea, which are to be read in a single or more sittings. It appears that in the case of this that multiple chapters presenting different ideas are to be read in a single week. I struggle to understand how employed people can manage this. I am unemployed and am truly scratching my head at how one can learn this much is such a short space of time.

For a compacted course aimed at complete beginners, this is hardly a walk in the park. 6 months at least it should be, 3 months is a joke!

If I can even imagine doing level 3 (at this rate probably not), I'm gonna at least do some serious self-paced study before hand! The AAT needs to make this clear!

Comments

• RebekahB
    RebekahB Registered Posts: 35
    How come you have to complete it in 3 months? Unless you study every day or already know a lot of it it's not really possible , that would give me a huge headache lol
  • kontisto
    RebekahB said:

How come you have to complete it in 3 months? Unless you study every day or already know a lot of it it's not really possible , that would give me a huge headache lol

I though 3 months was standard. I struggle studying everyday. I really can't do it. I passed the exam so I guess that means I'm pretty good, but cash books I'm terrible with!
  • RebekahB
    RebekahB Registered Posts: 35
    Cash books are a huge pain lol , use the AAT study pieces they help a lot, who are you studying with
  • Casu
    Casu Registered, Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 102
    Totally do-able in 3 months. But if you are stuggling - do D/learning and do it at your own pace.
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    I took level 2 at a local college, and they billed their course as "fast track" - 2 days per week, for 6 months. The regular version was 1 day per week for a full academic year.

So yeah, doing level 2 in just 3 months - yikes, I think you'll be doing nothing but AAT study 'til you finish.

Best of luck!
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
  • kontisto
    RebekahB said:

Cash books are a huge pain lol , use the AAT study pieces they help a lot, who are you studying with

AAT study pieces? Local Adult Learning centre.
  • kontisto
    Casu said:

Totally do-able in 3 months. But if you are stuggling - do D/learning and do it at your own pace.

D/learning?
  • kontisto

I took level 2 at a local college, and they billed their course as "fast track" - 2 days per week, for 6 months. The regular version was 1 day per week for a full academic year.

So yeah, doing level 2 in just 3 months - yikes, I think you'll be doing nothing but AAT study 'til you finish.

Best of luck!

Foundation Certificate. I assume you did the full diploma?
  • tandas1986
    tandas1986 Registered Posts: 5
    what is the usual completion for level 2
  • KoopaCooper
    KoopaCooper Registered Posts: 224
    kontisto said:

Best of luck!

Foundation Certificate. I assume you did the full diploma?
    Foundation Certificate is the new term for the Level 2 Certificate, yes. My college considered 6 months to be "fast track" for that level.

I also did the level 3 diploma (now the Intermediate Diploma) in a further 6 months, and the level 4 diploma (Advanced/Professional Diploma) in a year. I wouldn't really recommend doing any of them in less time than that though.
    Accounts Executive, ғɪᴀʙ ᴍᴀᴀᴛ
    QBO & Xero certified advisor

AAT
    Level 2 Certificate in Accounting - 17 Jun 2015
    Level 3 Diploma in Accounting - 22 Jan 2016
    Level 4 Diploma in Accounting - 19 Dec 2017
    MAAT - 27 Mar 2018

ACCA
    Advanced Diploma in Accounting and Business...
    F4 Corporate and Business Law - 4 Jun 2019
    F5 Performance Management - 15 July 2019
    F6 Taxation (United Kingdom) - 3 Dec 2019
    F8 Audit and Assurance - 2 Mar 2020
Privacy Policy