Illegal workers

One of my client employ few illegal workers and now asking me to do payroll for them. As an account what should i do? Do i need to report hmrc regarding the illegal employees? or can i just do what my client is asking me to do?

Comments

• MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    If this is a genuine question I think you or the client are being very naive. When you say "to do the payroll" are you suggesting you are going to submit the RTI payroll to HMRC? And if these employees are illegal how will you get a NI number to do so?

"Can I just do what my client is asking me to do?"
    No if it's illegal. Disengage and consider your Money Laundering duties.

https://www.gov.uk/penalties-for-employing-illegal-workers
  • kumarmanoj
    kumarmanoj Registered Posts: 4
    i always keep the ids and passport of all employees that i need to do rti submission for that client. I have never done rti without checking their work status. My client always email me the wage details and i never investigate their business to know whether the working hours are correct ot not. Its not part our contract to inspect and verfiy all the informations given by them. All the information they have given to me, i process it with resonable due care and wisdom. Just saying, if my client purposely gave me wrong working hours for rti submission to cover the work done by illegal workers, how do i know whether the working hours given to me is right without auditing?
  • hal978
    hal978 Registered Posts: 197 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Also bear in mind that those wages are not an allowable expense for tax purposes as they are paid to illegal workers
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368

i always keep the ids and passport of all employees that i need to do rti submission for that client. I have never done rti without checking their work status. My client always email me the wage details and i never investigate their business to know whether the working hours are correct ot not. Its not part our contract to inspect and verfiy all the informations given by them. All the information they have given to me, i process it with resonable due care and wisdom. Just saying, if my client purposely gave me wrong working hours for rti submission to cover the work done by illegal workers, how do i know whether the working hours given to me is right without auditing?

First you say they are illegal employees, now you say the hours are incorrect? Which is which?
  • reader
    reader Registered Posts: 1,037 Beyond epic contributor 🧙‍♂️

If this is a genuine question

+1

He doesn't even have any AAT credentials.

This forum is just becoming a free drop in centre for non-members, like that other guy from Cyprus who didn't want to setup a permanent establishment in the UK.

My advice is don't encourage these people unless they hav genuine AAT credentials.
Privacy Policy