Decisions and Control - New Exam March 2018 - Additional Topics

Hi,

I have been reading the forums about the new exam style for Decision and Control; so far i am very nervous ( i have my exam coming up) I am studying with BPP and the context itself doesnt seem bad but reading the experiences from other candidates - it seems like a tough paper and not very similar to the AAT Samples.

For those who have sat the exam paper, can you give me few tips, such as what topic/type pf question threw you off? what do you recommend i pay more attention too? was there a new topic that you havent heard of and appeared in the exam? any good books, or type of questions i should go over more?

Im so nervous and i really dont want to fail ( i mean who does?) but for some reason i have anxiety in case i dont pass.

Thank you!

Comments

• luciedriver
    luciedriver Registered Posts: 32
    Following this please :)
  • tinkerbell0406
    tinkerbell0406 Registered Posts: 58
    We'll I have just failed this again....new format harder question. I thought i had passed when i had finished but no. Really don't know what to do next
  • Nelson89
    Nelson89 Registered Posts: 6
    And me tinkerbell....by 4%. The worse thing is i know exactly where i could of picked those marks up from but i just had no idea what the question was asking me.... :(
  • tinkerbell0406
    tinkerbell0406 Registered Posts: 58
    It's crazy....i thought i had done well even with the written questions....it will be interesting to see how many people failed. Old exam i would have achieved around 80 marks. Result today 60%so that's 72 marks but i felt i did enough to pass who is marking these exam??
  • April1234
    April1234 Registered Posts: 11
    Sorry to hear!, What questions/ type of questions was the most hardest or trickiest to answer? or you got significant low at?
  • ladyred6
    ladyred6 Registered Posts: 4
    So I’ve just come out of the exam today, I originally first sat this a year ago, I waited till I passed all the others before coming back hoping that AAT drastically changed the exam. I’ve got to say there was a much bigger change and I definitely think they have made it more like what we’ve all been provided with to learn, also cutting the questions down to 8 helped massively. I read somewhere before there were a lot more written questions but I’ve got to disagree I think only 3 questions needed written responses and that was the variance analysis the standards and the optimal production. I hope I’ve managed to scrape a pass, but ya never know with AAT!! I’m just happy I got time to be able to answer all questions this time and nothing seemed to alien!
  • Sineadp
    Sineadp Registered Posts: 67
    I was the same I got 62% I went wrong on task 7 & 8
  • luciedriver
    luciedriver Registered Posts: 32
    I sat this yesterday. Some questions were okay and some parts of others I was a bit lost on.
    I had Target Costing which I managed to screw up and lose at least 7 marks on a very easy question which I realised after I had gotten wrong. Pretty sure I have failed this one. So another re-sit coming up along with Financial Statements!
  • Sammy_Becs
    Sammy_Becs Registered Posts: 5
    I have failed this exam 4 times :(.
    3 on the old exam and failed again a few days ago. I revise like made. i have got to the point that i know all the answers on my revision papers before i have read all the question.
    My marks are 69% - 56% - 59% - 66%
    i don't think they word the questions very well - I struggle to understand what they are actually asking for.
    there is a question that says "sales volume is in thousands" i know this sounds daft.. what what does this mean?!?! add 2 zero after the number to make it a thousand... or add 4 zeros... when i ask my tutor she says she cant help as she need to see the question. This unit has really made me want to give up. and is costing me a fortune!
    And synoptic!!!
  • April1234
    > @Sammy_Becs said:
    > I have failed this exam 4 times :(.
    > 3 on the old exam and failed again a few days ago. I revise like made. i have got to the point that i know all the answers on my revision papers before i have read all the question.
    > My marks are 69% - 56% - 59% - 66%
    > i don't think they word the questions very well - I struggle to understand what they are actually asking for.
    > there is a question that says "sales volume is in thousands" i know this sounds daft.. what what does this mean?!?! add 2 zero after the number to make it a thousand... or add 4 zeros... when i ask my tutor she says she cant help as she need to see the question. This unit has really made me want to give up. and is costing me a fortune!
    > And synoptic!!!

Ah im so sorry hear, keep trying and you will.get there! I havent sat the exam yet but i think when it says "in thousands" it means you times it by 1000 when calculating and then give your answers back in the original form by dividing.

Hope that makes sense
  • April1234
    edited April 2018
    For those who are still following, i have have done my exam - the new AAT papers are really good

Tips :
    -Read the question VERY carefully, eg sometimes they wants the marginal when doing the operating tables
    - Mark up total formula is (profit/Total Cost)* 100
    - There was a y=a+bx where they want in 1000's so you have to make sure you times by 1000 and then add or take away the seasonal variation
    - Find out what the process of Target costing is
    - Learn how to rearrange formula for performance indicators - for those who are good at Maths, this is should be easy
    - Go over for ABC!!!!
    - They have reduced fixed variance OAR
    - Learn the Absorption and Marginal method , and remember that Absorption Costing gives higher profit.
  • fclarke
    fclarke Registered Posts: 12
    April1234 - thanks so much for giving your feedback on how you felt the new paper went. I am due to sit it later today and i'm very nervous to say the least!

Can I ask a couple of questions please...

Do you feel confident that you have passed it this time?
    Was there any thing in the exam that you hadn't studied or seen in the text books?
    What do you mean by "find out what the process of target costing is"?
    They have reduced fixed variance - do you mean there are less questions on this topic?

Thanks!
  • fclarke
    Also, what were the written questions like?
  • April1234
    edited April 2018
    fclarke said:

April1234 - thanks so much for giving your feedback on how you felt the new paper went. I am due to sit it later today and i'm very nervous to say the least!

Can I ask a couple of questions please...

Do you feel confident that you have passed it this time?
    Was there any thing in the exam that you hadn't studied or seen in the text books?
    What do you mean by "find out what the process of target costing is"?
    They have reduced fixed variance - do you mean there are less questions on this topic?

Thanks!

[Comment removed]

[A Contribution must not disclose any material from live assessments, AAT-produced or otherwise]
  • ladyred6
    ladyred6 Registered Posts: 4
    I got my results today and I passed this exam second attempt! After waiting for them to change the exam from the silliness a year ago. Hope this gives people some more hope!
  • Simon_Phillips
    Simon_Phillips Registered Posts: 8
    got my results today. got 78% which I am pretty happy with after putting off taking the old paper given all the fuss.

Honestly thought I did a bit better than 78% though, but can't grumble
  • April1234
    Hi all,

I managed go pass first time but the percent i achieved is 75%
  • fclarke
    I got my result today too, passed with 82%! Thank goodness! :):)
  • adekunbi
    adekunbi Registered Posts: 2
    fclarke said:

I got my result today too, passed with 82%! Thank goodness! :):)

Hello any tips, please ? which additional textbook have you read ?
Privacy Policy