AAT Level 4 - Struggling

Hello

Im just wondering if anyone can help I started Level 4 AQ2016 in September 2016 and have only passed Financial Statements and Budgeting. I have got really close with Personal Tax (64% then 67%) & Credit Management (69%) but I seem to be loosing all focus when studying for MDCL because I have sat it twice and failed.

I just don't know what to do anymore to pass this level I feel like Im not going to pass it. Im putting in so many hours of study and I feel like its not good enough.

Is anyone else in the same situation?

Comments

• garywatson22
    garywatson22 Registered Posts: 3
    The AAT have changed the format of the MDCL exam and the new version of the mocks is on the AAT website. The number of tasks has dropped from 10 to 8 and does seem a little easier. The new exam comes into effect as from 5th March. I take mine for the first time on 23rd March. Fingers crossed you get through it next time.
  • Sineadp
    Sineadp Registered Posts: 67
    I have seen the new practice assessments so hopefully it is better in the real exam. I sit mine on the 5th March but not feeling very confident. Good luck with yours.
  • garywatson22
    Good luck to you too. It would be interesting to hear how it goes and how you find it.
  • VS1
    VS1 Registered Posts: 71
    Sorry to be off topic but looks like you have done Credit management, was the exam difficult? or similar to mock exams? I have mine next week.
  • stevesmiths
    stevesmiths Registered Posts: 25
    Hi Sineadp never loose hope and don't give up until you succeed,find out where your missing and lagging focus on negatives,i hope you will clear in third attempt
  • garywatson22
    I have my MDCL exam tomorrow and wondered if any of you good people had sat it since 5th March and how you found it. Thanks.
  • bethany
    bethany Registered Posts: 14

I have my MDCL exam tomorrow and wondered if any of you good people had sat it since 5th March and how you found it. Thanks.

Hello, :)

I would say, be prepared for a tough exam. You may find it a lot tougher than the AAT online practice assessments. I sat Decision & Control yesterday and found it really different to the practice assessments. There were a lot of questions which were worded strangely, which took a while to get my head around.

My tips would be, 1) read the question carefully in case there's some important instructions you don't want to miss. 2) memorize your variance formulas and key performance indicators back to front. 3) if you're really struggling with a question, I just flagged it and moved on. I knew if I spent too much time on it I would lose time I could be spending on the other questions. 4) Do your absolute best, you can do no more!

I did manage to fill in every question.. I just feel some of my answers were partly guesswork, just because the layout was confusing and so different to the questions I'd done in my study. It's a pity, as I did study very hard for this unit..

All the best with your exam! :)
  • April1234
    April1234 Registered Posts: 11
    bethany said:

I would say, be prepared for a tough exam. You may find it a lot tougher than the AAT online practice assessments. I sat Decision & Control yesterday and found it really different to the practice assessments. There were a lot of questions which were worded strangely, which took a while to get my head around.

My tips would be, 1) read the question carefully in case there's some important instructions you don't want to miss. 2) memorize your variance formulas and key performance indicators back to front. 3) if you're really struggling with a question, I just flagged it and moved on. I knew if I spent too much time on it I would lose time I could be spending on the other questions. 4) Do your absolute best, you can do no more!

I did manage to fill in every question.. I just feel some of my answers were partly guesswork, just because the layout was confusing and so different to the questions I'd done in my study. It's a pity, as I did study very hard for this unit..

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for the tips above and i hope your exam went well.

What topics what you suggested to focus more on? what do you recommend any certain types of books or links that can help with the real exam? I can see the layout was weird - can you tell me what was weird about it ? Sorry i am asking a lot of questions ( im just so nervous )

Thank you :)
  • bethany
    bethany Registered Posts: 14
    April1234 said:

bethany said:

Hi Bethany,

Thanks for the tips above and i hope your exam went well.

What topics what you suggested to focus more on? what do you recommend any certain types of books or links that can help with the real exam? I can see the layout was weird - can you tell me what was weird about it ? Sorry i am asking a lot of questions ( im just so nervous )

Thank you :)
    Hi April1234,

When is your exam? In case you've not sat it yet, then Osborne has two good tests. The links for them both are http://osbornebooks.rtahosting.co.uk/osborne121/q1.asp and http://osbornebooks.rtahosting.co.uk/osborne122/q1.asp
  • April1234
    April1234 Registered Posts: 11

Hi April1234,

When is your exam? In case you've not sat it yet, then Osborne has two good tests. The links for them both are http://osbornebooks.rtahosting.co.uk/osborne121/q1.asp and http://osbornebooks.rtahosting.co.uk/osborne122/q1.asp

Thank you! I have yet to sit my exam
  • Sammy_Becs
    Sammy_Becs Registered Posts: 5
    Sineadp said:

I have seen the new practice assessments so hopefully it is better in the real exam. I sit mine on the 5th March but not feeling very confident. Good luck with yours.

Hi, Did you manage to pass this time?

I feel your pain, i too have only passed Budgeting and Fin Statements.
    I have sat MCDL 4 times and fail 69% 56% 59% and the new paper 66%
    Credit management 69% (waiting on 2nd result) - Synoptic 53% and 56% - Business Tax 58% Due to sit this again tomorrow

I feel like giving up.. but then realise how much money ive spent on it!

Good luck on your other units :)
  • Sineadp
    Sineadp Registered Posts: 67
    Hi, Did you manage to pass this time?

I feel your pain, i too have only passed Budgeting and Fin Statements.
    I have sat MCDL 4 times and fail 69% 56% 59% and the new paper 66%
    Credit management 69% (waiting on 2nd result) - Synoptic 53% and 56% - Business Tax 58% Due to sit this again tomorrow

I feel like giving up.. but then realise how much money ive spent on it!

Good luck on your other units :)

Hello

Unfortunately not, I got 62% on MDCL so gutted.
    Credit Management I got - 69% need to resit
    Personal Tax - I got in the 60's twice as well
    sitting synoptic for first time in may

when do you have to be finished by?

• Loub84
    Loub84 Registered Posts: 1 New contributor 🐸
    I am due to sit this exam in 1 hour. I feel I am certain to fail it because I have crammed so much revision into the past week that I’m getting things wrong that I was sure of before, formulas I felt I had down I can no longer remember.

I study part time (college nights and revise at home) as well as work full time with 2 kids, a hubby and 2 dogs. Every day I want to quit but after studying towards this for years I feel it would be a waste to do that now.

Reading some of the comments above has encouraged me. Seeing that some people have tried and tried again when they have not passed first time is enlightening, make me feel like it I don’t pass this exam today it’s not the end of the world.

?
Privacy Policy