Osborne Tutorials & Workbooks have errors?

Norvydas
Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
Has anyone else noticed that there are errors in Osborne tutorials & workbooks? I have been doing revision for Budgeting unit and been doing some questions on Chapter 5. In the workbook there were couple questions which totally made no sense in regards of how question was worded. There were also couple errors in numerical calculations.

Wondering if this has been brought up before?
Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.

Comments

• masie35
    masie35 Registered Posts: 11
    I found thay with a book I have too. They had a corrections document which listed the errors, have a look online.
  • Norvydas
    Norvydas Registered Posts: 271 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited April 2018
    masie35 said:

I found thay with a book I have too. They had a corrections document which listed the errors, have a look online.

Ah at least it's not just me then! I have spent an hour on 1 question because I was trying to calculate the totals and they weren't matching with what they have provided me with... I was going crazy, went over it like 20 times and then gave up..
    Kind Regards,

Norvydas Valavicius.
  • Elasozorus19_tiKoyn
    Elasozorus19_tiKoyn Registered Posts: 13
    edited September 2018
    I have found what may POSSIBLY be an error in Osborne Books, Bookkeeping Transactions, Tutorial Book 2016 edition, reprinted 2017, 2018 (it says 'Reviewed and updated in 2018' on the front cover): In Chapter 2 (Financial documents for sales) in the 'Cool Socks' Case Study starting on Page 20, I think that there may be an error on Page 24 in the notes accompanying the sample invoice (which is on the opposite page, Page 25). It says, in Lines 22-23 (from the top), under the heading 'totals and VAT', next to the middle bullet point: "Value Added Tax (VAT), here calculated as 20% of the total after deduction of any cash discount. VAT is added to produce the invoice final total." I think that the word 'cash' here is wrong because I don't think that the cash discount and the VAT after taking it into account would be shown within the totals on the invoice. But it is not in the list of corrections on the Osborne Books website. I am enrolled with Osborne Training and they have sent me these books and I can log in to their Virtual Learning Campus (I am not referring to the Student Zone on Osborne Books website) but I don't seem to have access to any forums there. I think this is because I only enrolled as a Distance Learning student (as opposed to an Online student). My question is: Is this particular explanation, in my copy of the book, of VAT on an invoice correct or does the word 'cash', as used in this particular place, make it wrong?
  • Elasozorus19_tiKoyn
    Elasozorus19_tiKoyn Registered Posts: 13
    Further to my last comment - just to clarify myself: I realise that the liability for VAT to HMRC would be for the VAT calculated on the amount actually charged on the invoice (and taking into account any credit notes) after ALL discounts (including both trade and cash or PPD) had been applied, but I find the specific sentence referred to on Page 24 of the Osborne book mentioned above, in my previous post, to be incorrect because it says that the VAT shown in the sample invoice shown on Page 25 is 20% of the total after any cash discount has been deducted, when this is clearly not so in this specific context. Should Osborne be informed about this (apparent) error, as it does not seem to have picked up in the list of corrections?
Privacy Policy