Re After hours/weekend work experience

Hi, I am not sure which avenue to take here so decided to start off with AAT. I qualified as AAT and MAAT earlier this year, and am currently in a varied office role. Accounts is my passion, but unfortunately I have a lot of experience in the more junior areas and wish to understand the more advanced side of it, and was wondering if there was anyone local to me who might be working after hours or weekends when I could come and gain a better understanding of the basics of advanced accounting. I am currently working towards becoming the company accountant but lack experience in certain areas I feel I should be excelling at such as bank reconciliations, vat returns, and most importantly management accounts. I feel stuck in a rut and am scared that if I don't step up my game I will find myself lacking the dream job I have been working towards. Thanks to anyone who can help, or if there is an AAT support group in Merseyside that would also be a useful start.

Comments

• amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    Hi Lindi,

Have you looked at the resources on the AAT website?, I know their are quite a few. I think I saw an upcoming event regarding Management Accounts at AAT's head office in London which may be of use?

Does your company work with a Chartered Accountancy practice? - If so, could you speak with them and hopefully spend some time with them?

If not, it may also be worth contacting local bookkeepers/accountants, who may be able to offer some spare time to help.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
  • Lindi
    Lindi Registered Posts: 166
    amurray said:

Hi Lindi,

Have you looked at the resources on the AAT website?, I know their are quite a few. I think I saw an upcoming event regarding Management Accounts at AAT's head office in London which may be of use?

Does your company work with a Chartered Accountancy practice? - If so, could you speak with them and hopefully spend some time with them?

If not, it may also be worth contacting local bookkeepers/accountants, who may be able to offer some spare time to help.

@amurray Thank you, I am booked into the Strategic Management Accounting course in Leeds in November, but I need more 'hands on' experience as having completed L4 it's given me a foundation knowledge of the topics but in practice things work very differently. I don't work for an accountancy firm and there is no-one at my work who does accounts, most of the duties are outsourced and I only help to prepare everything. I would very much like to learn more about VAT returns, where to post things, Corporation tax, how to deal with month-end and most importantly monthly management accounts.
  • MarieNoelle
    MarieNoelle Registered, Moderator Posts: 1,368
    Hi @Lindi

Have you contacted your local Branch? I would recommend you register to their events, not only for your own CPD but it is also a great way to meet fellow accountants. Maybe also contact the Branch organisers to see if they could help in finding someone willing to be a mentor?
    Good luck!
  • amurray
    amurray Registered Posts: 304 Dedicated contributor 🦉
    edited September 2018
    Yes that was the course I saw advertised, think it was in a couple of locations.

Lindi - You mentioned that some elements are outsourced to your accountants, can you perhaps speak with them and get some support and exposure to these areas?

Also I second MarieNoelle's comment regarding the branch events, I have heard they are fantastic for networking and support. Wish I had one closer to me! Best of luck.
    MAAT, AATQB, MICB PM.Dip.
    Completed AAT in March 2020
Privacy Policy