Do I have to do courses via a training provider?

Hello,

As the title reads, do I have to do courses via a training provider? Or can i buy the books directly from Kaplan and book my exams when I feel ready?

I originally started studying for a bookkeeping qualification but I now want to study to become an accountant. I have already paid for Bookkeeping level 2 and 3 via a training provider (just started level 2), but I will also need to do more units to get the accounting qualifications.

I would appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Louise.

Comments

• dumutroba
    dumutroba Registered Posts: 262
    edited September 2018
    Hello Louise,
    Short answer is No.
    Long answer is no, because AAT will asses your written work, when there is one. The only thing is AAT takes up to 6 weeks to review written work, where as with a training provider you might get results sooner.
    AAT Level 2. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 3. 2018 Distinction
    AAT Level 4. 2019 FSLC 100% MABU 93% MADC 82% PDSY 80%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • Undlou
    Undlou Registered Posts: 11
    Great! Thanks dumutroba, much appreciated :)
  • cbcury88
    cbcury88 Registered Posts: 3
    I'm considering doing a similar thing, e.g buying the course material for level 2 and presenting myself for exams.(may get a provider if I decide to do level 3). I don't how this would work in terms of the using accounting software element?
  • dumutroba
    For the accounting software works exactly the same, you study, you practice you go to the exam. AAT will assess your work and you will have results within 6 weeks
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • cbcury88
    cbcury88 Registered Posts: 3
    What I really meant was how do you practice without the sofware? I heard someone mention they got a free trial of sage or something.
  • dumutroba
    edited October 2018
    Yep, that is correct. I personally used the trial version and the Osborne tutorial. The exam is exactly as the mock on AAT website, same reports at the end. It took me less than the allowed time to score 100%
    Xero Certified Advisor
  • ntkotian
    ntkotian Registered Posts: 2
    @dumutroba which online training course will you recommend.
    I am planning to take up:
    https://www.premiertraining.co.uk/
    Any thoughts?
  • dumutroba
    Sorry, can't help, I am not with a training provider, I self studied for all levels
    Xero Certified Advisor
Privacy Policy